Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Injuries after introductions, can they be left together?

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
So last Friday I introduced my neutered boar and two sows together. After lots of rumblestrutting and chasing I put them all together in the freshly cleaned cage with all new fleece/tunnels and hideys. I have heard some noise and them chasing each other but all seemed well so I left them alone.

I have been sick so haven't been excessive handling. Last night I cleaned their cage and did a quick health check. I feel so bad because I found signs of fighting I hadn't seen before.
Loki- Pinky size hole in top of ear, bit straight through; lost 60 grams weight
Little Bear- chunk of fur pulled out from her back
Luna- unscathed

Are they still good to be left together? I know the rule is leave them together if there is no blood, just the ear bite concerns me. As of now they are calm together and only occasional rumblestrutting.

Cage is 2x9 cxc cage, with 2x2 hay pile. All hideouts are tunnels, forests, or cozies with two openings.

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they're calm now, I'd keep watching them for a while. If the worst is over, there's no point in separating them. Just keep an eye on the ear bite so if it abscesses you can treat it quickly.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
If they're calm now, I'd keep watching them for a while. If the worst is over, there's no point in separating them. Just keep an eye on the ear bite so if it abscesses you can treat it quickly.

Abscess signs would be swelling right? I will keep a look out.

I figured that was the line of thought, just wanted to check. I have the cage set up fairly open so no one can be trapped. Thankfully my husband and I are home a lot so we can continue to monitor them. Only time I see any aggression is during feed times, otherwise they don't bother each other.

Do you think having two 1x2 kitchen areas (one at each cage end) would be better than the one 2x2? I just use the kitchen for piling hay, veggies and pellets are all separate from it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Two areas would be better than one, particularly while they're getting used to each other.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.