Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play High jumping guinea pig!

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
I was curious how high a normal guinea pig jumps.

Thor is about 7 months now, he's still fairly small but I've noticed he can jump really high. When he was just a baby he was able to jump up on top of his pigloo, a large one about 7 and a half inches tall. My other two pigs don't really jump or climb at all but Thor absolutely loves to.

He just found out today that he can jump up on top of his 10 inch high box. I honestly have no idea how he managed to get up it but he did. After he found out he could he keeps jumping up on it and down, and sleeping on top of it! He worries me sometimes though. I had him on the top floor of their cage and he tried to climb out and luckily I was there because he was hanging on the wall but I got him so he's moved to the bottom floor. He hasn't attempted to get out, but the walls are about 13 inches high so now I'm curious if he can clear those soon!

But aside from that, guinea pig shows do jumping things right? I haven't looked into shows at all but are those like abusive for guinea pigs? Thor loves to climb and jump so if it isn't like abusive or anything I'd love to try to train him and put him in one.

Is 10 inches high for a guinea pig? And I'm curious, does anyone else have guinea pigs who like to jump and climb because Thor often baffles me at how much he loves to.

Here he is up on his box! Terribly sorry about the poop, that's his favorite spot to go and I hadn't cleaned it out yet, or fixed the fleece after he messed it up.

Thor.jpg

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I can't find any pictures now but my Luna loves to jump on top of her hideys. I discovered it one day when I was taking too long for veggies. I looked over saw her jump on her tunnel, onto the forest and then outside the cage. Once she discovered she could do that she tried it again and again.

So now I have a grid above every tunnel. If you have any hideouts next to the walls I would think of putting a gird above them or moving them.

Here is a picture of the gird above the tunnel.
kitchen.jpg

As for training to jump, I wouldn't. Even if Thor likes to jump I wouldn't just because it could cause injuries. You could add bunk beds, hammocks and other elevated hideys though :)

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Oh, guinea pigs.... THEY CAN JUMP ALL RIGHT!
�� Pebbles jumps everyday he once banged his head on the cage from jumping so widely!!!!

Thebosspigs

Cavy Slave
This is Rex, he loved to Jump and explore. He passed early march and is missed dearly, but we have these memories of him!
66e0d439e2686fa6eab90aee1e7af732.jpg

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
This is Rex, he loved to Jump and explore. He passed early march and is missed dearly, but we have these memories of him!

Awww! Rex is so cute! Rest in peace Rex, warmest wishes to you and Rex.

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave
You should possibly put plexiglass or more grids around the edges because I know a piggy that jumped a grid!! But it could have been SO dangerous from a fall. As [MENTION=39630]wheekermommy[/MENTION] said put grids by the hides near the walls, I see the box has a grid above so hopefully it won't be anything to be too worried about.:)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Rex's colouring in this photo is VERY reminiscent of my best friend Pooper. He was never a jumper, but he would stand up at the cage bars like that begging for a treat. This photo brought back some very bittersweet memories.

Rest in peace, Rex. Hopefully you and my Poopy have gotten to be good friends at the Rainbow Bridge.

This is the closest picture I could find to show you his colours. Sadly, I lost a few thousand pictures in a hard drive crash shortly after his passing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.