Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm the worst guinea pig owner ever.... RIP Waffles

Malice

Cavy Slave
My sweet little girl died just shy of being 3 1/2 years old, and its all my fault. I found her in a hidey that I made specifically for them hoping it would be safe. I was so wrong about it.

What I would do with the hidey is put a small layer of hay on the floor that I would flatten so my girls could walk through either side of it (had two entrances) and lay and eat on the hay. They seemed to love it. It was made out of a special molding. I was so sure this would stay flat on the ground and never pose a problem in any way.

Lately I've worked tons of overtime and I haven't given them the best of attention as I am getting next to no sleep. My job is incredibly cruel with scheduling and personal time to rest. I slept all day today and when I awoke I noticed this hidey was somehow flipped on its side standing perfectly upright with one entrance facing the ground blocked off and TONS of hay impacted blocking the only other hole that was not facing down. I didn't even know this was possible but it happened. Mind you these were huge holes I made specifically so they could walk through more than comfortably and somehow my girls managed to pick up this hay and impacted it so much that it completely blocked the hole that wasn't on the ground. She got stuck in their somehow and SUFFOCATED. AND I SLEPT THROUGH HER SUFFERING.

I am stricken to the point of tears with guilt. I didn't drill air holes. I prioritized a few hours rest over the safety of my girls. I could've just bought a safe cozy that wouldn't have posed a threat in any way. I slept through probably several hundred wheeks of terror and fear from her. So many little things I could've done differently would have her here happy as ever wheeking for her veggies. She was completely healthy and my neglect killed her. I don't even know what to think but shame, sadness, and disgust at myself.

I'm so sorry, Waffles... wherever you are.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost her. But please don't blame yourself. It sounds like an unfortunate accident, and not one that you could have anticipated.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so, so sorry for your loss.

I can't imagine how you must feel. But, bpatters is absolutely correct. It certainly sounds like a terrible accident, as I'm sure you never, ever would have made her a hidey that may have put her in jeopardy in the first place.

Rest in peace, Waffles. Go and meet all your new friends at the Rainbow Bridge, until you and your human are together again.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Malice I so sorry for your loss and the unfortunate accident that happened. You shouldn?t blame yourself though, you created the hideout with their best interest at heart. And do not feel guilty for resting, you need to take care of yourself and keep yourself healthy in order to care for the critters. Try to focus on how great of a life you provided Waffles. You are a fantastic piggy Mom, sometimes accidents just happen. I send you positive and healing thoughts ❤️

Malice

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot everyone. Still taking it a bit hard, but the kind words and condolences mean a lot. Just going to take this as a step to move forward and do the best for my other piggies. Can't change the past now, and I'm glad she was able to have a good life prior to the accident.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every single thing we learn along the way, tragic accidents or not, make us better piggy parents. It's what we take from them and move forward with that truly makes a difference.

I'm positive she had a wonderful life with you. Take the memories that you've made with her, and make more with the rest of your furry kids. I'm pretty sure Waffles would want it that way.

Destynee.17

Cavy Gazer
I’m so sorry for you’re lost.. I’m almost going thru the same thing my guinea pig gave birth and she ate the baby feet I don’t know if it’s gonna survive it crushed my heart this is the 3rd time she has being pregnant, she never acted like this before, I thought she was cleaning the baby but she ate the toes and feet idk if it will survive she isn’t feeding them she had 3 pups this literally happened a hour ago. I don’t know what to do please help

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I’m so sorry for you’re lost.. I’m almost going thru the same thing my guinea pig gave birth and she ate the baby feet I don’t know if it’s gonna survive it crushed my heart this is the 3rd time she has being pregnant, she never acted like this before, I thought she was cleaning the baby but she ate the toes and feet idk if it will survive she isn’t feeding them she had 3 pups this literally happened a hour ago. I don’t know what to do please help
[MENTION=42054]Destynee.17[/MENTION] You should start your own thread to ask for help about your baby piggies. I hope they are okay!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Double post

kkzeus

Cavy Slave
Im so sorry, this isn't your fault and next time you will know better. Instead of grieving share the word on how unsafe some houses are and how to make them appropriately so the same thing doesn't happen to others. Maybe you can save other pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.