Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Testicles

kirt15

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,

I have a male guinea pig who is around 13 weeks old and is going to be desexed but they said that his testicles have not dropped yet. I was just wondering if this is normal and around what age they do normally drop?

Any help would be great thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think neutering of males usually isn't done until 4-6 months old. Most male guinea pigs show signs of testicle growth before that point, but it can take a while for some testicles to descend.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Good luck with the neuter. Just out of curiosity, how come he is being neutered?

kirt15

Cavy Slave
@CavyMama he is getting neutered because he is a foster guinea pig through the RSPCA but I am going to adopt him afterwards.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
My vets like to wait until they are at least 4 months old.

kirt15

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy they said they would do it when he reached 800g and currently he is at 680g so they said to wait another month so he will be 4 months by then.

Just a question about weight and size is there a way to tell if a guinea pig has been stunted? We think he had scurvy when he was 3-4 weeks and was malnourished because of broken teeth and a bad home so we were wondering if he would ever reach the 800g weight anyway? If he doesn't reach that weight will they still neuter him because he will still be older?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Occasionally there are "runts"--pigs that stay small. If your pig's weight stays the same even when on an appropriate diet there's a chance he's one.

However, you'll have to check with your vet on whether they'll neuter or not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.