Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stupid Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Why would you let the animal suffer through living it's life all alone and possibly in depression? Just because you wouldn't want to get it a friend. I believe that, in itself, is neglectful. Animals have needs that NEED to be met. Doesn't matter if they have a few months or a several years to their life. All their needs should be met.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I find it incredulous that you can say that I would be selfish to want to take care of my own pet for ALL of its life! When I adopt an animal it's for ALL of it's life.

I find it hypocritical of you to be saying all this about lone pigs despite the fact that you yourself kept a lone pig for 4 years!

Uh....since you've followed me so much. You left out a tid bit of information. I haven't been on this site for over 4 years. I did not know he should of have 1 of his own kind. And BTW, I was actually looking into the rescue in Tampa to get him a friend the exact week he had died. I was in the process of planning a weekend to go down and get his friend.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
The (broken link removed) shop at Target, the (broken link removed)shop at Costco and we all know they are both multimillionaires. Besides a millionaire needs a razor blade, some bleach, laundry soap, ect where exactly do you think a millionaire would buy something like that if not Target, Walmart, Walgreens, ect?

Some people also become wealthy by saving their money and not spending every dime. Even those who may not have "high incomes" can become millionaires by watching their money, investing it well, and not spending every dime that comes into their house hold. Live below your means! I'd also like to point out that most millionaires live in houses that cost less than 300K that are paid off, are debt free (no credit cards!) and drive used cars. ((broken link removed))

Aside from that I think it is ridiculous to assume that anyone should rehome a guinea pig, or any animal for that matter, in its twilight years simply because that person does not want to bring another one into the household. A guinea pig is a social animal, true, but a guinea pig also knows its people, its home and its routine. The people probably also love the guinea pig even if they do not want to get another one. The likelihood of a senior animal getting adopted out is low for any animal type. There is also no telling that that guinea pig might have health problems. I know my oldest guinea pig when he passed at 10 had pea eye, was loosing his sight and had a lumpy tumor. He wasn't exactly what a new owner would be looking for. Should I have given him away just to have him languish in a rescue until he died? I find that more cruel than loving him well until he passed.

Last edited:

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
People, can we stop all the bickering? We are all here for the same reason -- the welfare of our animals. We are all on the same side of this. It's the holiday season and we have bigger fish to fry - like breeding mills and petstores. Can we all just step back and take a breath for a minute?

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
Uh....since you've followed me so much. You left out a tid bit of information. I haven't been on this site for over 4 years. I did not know he should of have 1 of his own kind. And BTW, I was actually looking into the rescue in Tampa to get him a friend the exact week he had died. I was in the process of planning a weekend to go down and get his friend.

Yes, you joined this forum after NOT doing the necessary research to take care of your pig and then when you were informed about the need for your pig to have a cage mate you didn't re-home him but instead kept him on his own for months and that's why I find you hypocritical! It seems like it's one rule for you and another for everyone else!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Yes, you joined this forum after NOT doing the necessary research to take care of your pig and then when you were informed about the need for your pig to have a cage mate you didn't re-home him but instead kept him on his own for months and that's why I find you hypocritical! It seems like it's one rule for you and another for everyone else!

NO!
I kept him on his own til we moved to our new apartment so I could put him and his friend in the APPROPRIATE sized cage. Or would you have liked to see me shove another guinea pig in his pet store cage??

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
NO!
I kept him on his own til we moved to our new apartment so I could put him and his friend in the APPROPRIATE sized cage. Or would you have liked to see me shove another guinea pig in his pet store cage??

I'm not going to even bother answering that question!

I seem to recall you saying you couldn't get another pig as your husband had said no but that he then relented to you getting 2 pigs after seeing how upset you were over the passing of Mr Whistles. I remember all this as it wasn't you that I 'followed' but rather Mr Whistles instead. I had a big soft spot for your pig and loved watching the video's you took of him and so back then I used to pretty much read all of the threads that you posted on about him!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
You followed MY account period. And I'm sorry I don't post every single tiny thing in my life. My husband said no because he wanted to wait until we moved and got settled into the new apartment. I don't know WHY you keep continuing with me. It's like you have something against me.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Guys think of the piggies!
27b8a505-5b1c-47f1-ac2c-c30b22091d62.jpg

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
People, can we stop all the bickering? We are all here for the same reason -- the welfare of our animals. We are all on the same side of this. It's the holiday season and we have bigger fish to fry - like breeding mills and petstores. Can we all just step back and take a breath for a minute?

Eh, I'm as calm as can be and I can't speak on her behalf, but I'm pretty sure MrWhistles is as well. I do know she doesn't sugar coat her answers and gives her straight opinion on things which I can respect but of course, don't have to agree with.

Although I am truly curious what people think of re-homing their senior pigs, since there is such an over population of guinea pigs in most places, is it better to re-home your piggie who has such a short life left to a strange place with strange people but to introduce it to a "potential" mate? "Potential" since there is no guarantee they will get along and have to be separated anyway. Or is it better to keep your piggie for what's remaining of it's life (with the assumption you had it most of it's life) and to keep it in the home that it knows and is well cared for and loved in but without a friend?

Re-homing is not to be taken so lightly in my opinion and it's hard to find GOOD homes that will take PROPER care of the pig, let alone a home that may take adequate care of it not to mention all the bad things that could potentially happen.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This thread is done. There's absolutely no need for personal attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.