Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stupid Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Why does money always come into play? It has nothing to do with affording a guinea pig, they could be millionaires for all anybody knows.

The point that was being made was IF they decided they NO longer want guinea pigs, this family or another, then why should you re-home your last guinea pig that you had all it's life presumably, instead of providing a loving and caring environment for it throughout the rest of it's days. I understand wanting to provide a mate for it and friend, but I don't see the point in bringing in ANOTHER animal that you don't want and cycling between pets just because one might get lonely. Sometimes people just don't want to dedicate the next 60/70/80 years of their lives to one type of animal and personally, I would rather somebody provide a loving home to a piggie for the rest of it's days then bring home more pets that are unwanted in the first place and later probably resented since they didn't want to continue having that type of pet in the first place.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I feel really bad. None of this was meant to offend anyone, I was just venting about a situation that bothered me.
Since there is a ton of assumptions being made without having the full story, here's my point of view and assumptions on this from the prospective of a parent of two young children.

They had three guinea pis, nobody can assume what happened to those other two but obviously from having three, they had a small herd and since we don't know what m/f combo they had. There could have been any number of problems from unplanned pregnancy to going through a bad birth and losing possibly mother and baby (we've had a TON of people on here who have had unplanned pregnancies who DID their research) or to having a group they HOPED would get along but didn't which many find out happens as well.

Two could have died of old age as well, you have no idea how long they have had them and maybe the mother decided they wanted to move onto having other pets when the guinea pigs passed on (hamsters/gerbils maybe?). Not everybody wants to keep guinea pigs for life so they are choosing not to take on anymore rather then take on another and be left with a pet they no longer want to keep when the first passes on and have to rehome it.

Nobody knows if they didn't try to get a friend for the lone piggie before and it didn't work, some pigs just ARE happier alone.

Since they had three to begin with, I think it's safe to assume they at least started out with two and therefore knew they are social animals.

As for the hamster food, my guess is they have a hamster. The question was never asked if they did have one or not. Many people have more then one type of small animal in their house. Because you mentioned having a guinea pig and needing food, the topic was brought to guinea pigs not hamsters.

My RESCUED puppy and my RESCUED guinea pigs and my RESCUED cat for that matter all came from rescue situations, not one was bought from a pet store. To this day my youngest STILL says, "Mommy can we get another puppy from the pet store? " They don't even sell/adopt dogs at my local pet store but because they watch cartoons and everything else where they do, it's just in his mind that way. They do sell guinea pigs and so he also assumes ours came from the pet store. And when you are tired, exasperated or just busy and like mamaattorney said, want to negate the blame somewhere else, saying "the pet store" is a lot easier then going into a long conversation/argument which a child who won't understand the grey in the world when they live in black and white.

Considering this is a 1 minute conversation with a random family who nobody knows anything about or their circumstances or what happened, I would just be hesitant to condemn them as horrible people when you don't know the full story or even a part of it. Half of this whole situation could have been simply found out if the question of whether or not they had a hamster was asked.

I know I personally come to this site because I like what it teaches/preaches in the way of Guinea Pig care. You also need to remember that there are a LOT of other sites out there, not everybody knows this site exists or believe in what we believe. Maybe they DO belong to another site that promotes breeding or whatever they do on that site, and they DID their research and KNOW what they are doing. Maybe they belong to THIS site and are reading this right now going WTF? Like I said, there is a LOT of assumptions made based on a 1 minute conversation with a child and eavesdropping on a parent and child.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
I think some members of this forum should remember that they themselves didn't do enough research before getting their guinea pig and joining this forum and so maybe should be less judgemental and critical of others.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Guys, I'm sorry. I understand. I'm NOT trying to be offensive nor was I trying to be malicious. I was frustrated with the situation and was wrong for calling them 'stupid' but I wasn't trying to offend anyone, especially no one in this community. I just had a piggy related story that I thought that I should share.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Why does money always come into play? It has nothing to do with affording a guinea pig, they could be millionaires for all anybody knows.

Because these days EVERYTHING is about money.
WHY would you let a guinea pig live alone and depressed? There are only two reasons; 1 you cannot afford another guinea pig or 2 the guinea pig has been aggressive with other guinea pigs.

And if they WERE millionaires, they wouldn't be shopping at Target and looking for food that is on sale!!

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
No need to feel bad, and I don't believe anybody was offended, at least I'm not personally. Just trying to point out that there is a LOT not known about this situation and jumping to conclusions about something you don't know the entire story about and especially getting upset about it is not worth it. There could have been very simple and reasonable explanations for it all like I mentioned, then again there could not have been but I can only hope that their piggy is being taken care of well but we will never know.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Because these days EVERYTHING is about money.
WHY would you let a guinea pig live alone and depressed? There are only two reasons; 1 you cannot afford another guinea pig or 2 the guinea pig has been aggressive with other guinea pigs.

And if they WERE millionaires, they wouldn't be shopping at Target and looking for food that is on sale!!

So how do we know it wasn't aggressive towards other pigs and that's why they choose to leave it solitary?

And just for the record, the people that I do know personally who do have money, lots of it, including professional basketball players, government officials and others DO shop at Target and Walmart, Costco, etc. They don't KEEP their millions by spending it recklessly. I've gone bargain shopping multiple times while being a nanny to a Phoenix Suns player's daughter with him and his wife, just because you have money doesn't mean you need to spend it all.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
That was the main thing that all of it was about--the pig. It just heated me for a little while, but since there's nothing that I can do about it then there's nothing that I can do about it.
No need to feel bad, and I don't believe anybody was offended, at least I'm not personally. Just trying to point out that there is a LOT not known about this situation and jumping to conclusions about something you don't know the entire story about and especially getting upset about it is not worth it. There could have been very simple and reasonable explanations for it all like I mentioned, then again there could not have been but I can only hope that their piggy is being taken care of well but we will never know.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
The money came into play because that's how I first noticed them and although I don't care how much money I have to spend on my pigs personally, its always nice when prices are cut, don't you think?

The point that was being made was IF they decided they NO longer want guinea pigs, this family or another, then why should you re-home your last guinea pig that you had all it's life presumably, instead of providing a loving and caring environment for it throughout the rest of it's days. I understand wanting to provide a mate for it and friend, but I don't see the point in bringing in ANOTHER animal that you don't want and cycling between pets just because one might get lonely. Sometimes people just don't want to dedicate the next 60/70/80 years of their lives to one type of animal and personally, I would rather somebody provide a loving home to a piggie for the rest of it's days then bring home more pets that are unwanted in the first place and later probably resented since they didn't want to continue having that type of pet in the first place.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
So how do we know it wasn't aggressive towards other pigs and that's why they choose to leave it solitary?

And just for the record, the people that I do know personally who do have money, lots of it, including professional basketball players, government officials and others DO shop at Target and Walmart, Costco, etc. They don't KEEP their millions by spending it recklessly. I've gone bargain shopping multiple times while being a nanny to a Phoenix Suns player's daughter with him and his wife, just because you have money doesn't mean you need to spend it all.

I don't buy it that you know people who "have money". I find it a bit hard to believe. And like I said, they wouldn't be buying the wrong food that is on sale for a guinea pig. And I didn't say it wasn't aggressive. I was replying to the user who seemed confused about what you're supposed to do with a senior pig who lost it's cage mate.

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
It's not a matter of affording another guinea pig. Lifestyles change and perhaps what was the perfect pet for the family 7 years ago is no longer the perfect pet. The situation you describe mandates that, if you believe as I do that adoption is for the life of the animal, that you will have guinea pigs until the day you die since as one dies, you must replace it. THAT is not practical. You can have your opinion and I will have mine. I would rather keep the guinea pig I made a commitment to until the end of ITS life; I am not making a commitment to keep a guinea pig for the rest of MY life.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
If ALL of the guinea pigs needs cannot be met then the best thing to do is rehome it.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I don't buy it that you know people who "have money". I find it a bit hard to believe. And like I said, they wouldn't be buying the wrong food that is on sale for a guinea pig.

Lol, okay? I'm grown, I don't need to prove anything in this matter but just goes to prove how assumptions will get you nowhere in this world.

As I believe was mentioned the GUINEA PIG food was on sale, which is what Lindsey was buying. The "wrong" food as it's called was the Hamster food which could or could not have been on sale for all we know but it was the food they were buying for their...who knows, hamster maybe? Just because I buy cat food at the store and talk to you about my guinea pigs doesn't mean I don't have a cat at home nor am I feeding my guinea pigs cat food.

BTW Lindsey, the money comment wasn't for you, no worries :) We all like to save a few dollars when we can!

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
I think it's horrendous to suggest re-homing or surrendering a senior pig that has lost a cage mate if you can't afford to get a new cage mate. Just because at that moment in time I couldn't afford to get another pig does not mean at some point in the future that I wouldn't be able to afford to! Also, why burden a rescue with a senior pig that would have little chance of being re-homed due to it's age when it could just stay with the person who has loved and cared for it for all of its life?

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Yeah basically I just heard her say 'Oh it's on sale' I'm a people person so I talk constantly so I was just making light conversationand said 'Tell me it's guinea pig food because thats what I'm here for.' She said 'Yeah it is, for half price.' But when I looked at the bag she was holding it was a bag of hamster/gerbil food.
Lol, okay? I'm grown, I don't need to prove anything in this matter but just goes to prove how assumptions will get you nowhere in this world.

As I believe was mentioned the GUINEA PIG food was on sale, which is what Lindsey was buying. The "wrong" food as it's called was the Hamster food which could or could not have been on sale for all we know but it was the food they were buying for their...who knows, hamster maybe? Just because I buy cat food at the store and talk to you about my guinea pigs doesn't mean I don't have a cat at home nor am I feeding my guinea pigs cat food.

BTW Lindsey, the money comment wasn't for you, no worries :) We all like to save a few dollars when we can!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave

I don't HAVE TO believe you. The fact that you came outta no where with "I know people who 'have money' " makes me not believe you that much more.
And go back and re-read the original posting, it was hamster/gerbil food that they purchase.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I think it's horrendous to suggest re-homing or surrendering a senior pig that has lost a cage mate if you can't afford to get a new cage mate. Just because at that moment in time I couldn't afford to get another pig does not mean at some point in the future that I wouldn't be able to afford to! Also, why burden a rescue with a senior pig that would have little chance of being re-homed due to it's age when it could just stay with the person who has loved and cared for it for all of its life?

So rehomeing a senior pig to someone else who can better care for it is more horrible than keeping it for your own self when it's life is clearly lacking and all of it's needs are not met? Sounds pretty selfish.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I don't HAVE TO believe you. The fact that you came outta no where with "I know people who 'have money' " makes me not believe you that much more.
And go back and re-read the original posting, it was hamster/gerbil food that they purchase.

Nobody says you do, no need to be defensive, although you are correct, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet so take it or leave it really, doesn't matter to me much.

I didn't come out of nowhere with it though, it was in response to your millionaires don't shop for food at Target on sale comment and I was saying that I personally knew some that do and many that like to save money when they can so you are wrong with that. Responses to your statements do not come out of nowhere just because you choose to not believe in said responses.

I said it was hamster food that they were buying and Lindsey was getting Guinea Pig food...I don't see what that argument is about?

Last edited:

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
So rehomeing a senior pig to someone else who can better care for it is more horrible than keeping it for your own self when it's life is clearly lacking and all of it's needs are not met? Sounds pretty selfish.

I'm curious what the people with rescues think of this.

Would they rather take in a senior pig with lets say, less then a year to live approx. from a home that is more then able to provide sufficiently for it but not wanting to get it a friend for it's last months or use that space in their rescue for a pig who was not being cared for or was unwanted?

Maybe some of you that run rescues could chime in here?

traceyennis

Cavy Slave

I find it incredulous that you can say that I would be selfish to want to take care of my own pet for ALL of its life! When I adopt an animal it's for ALL of it's life.

I find it hypocritical of you to be saying all this about lone pigs despite the fact that you yourself kept a lone pig for 4 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.