Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Did anybody else see this?

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
PETCO in the avenues of Viera, near Rockledge. I don't know what part of central Florida you're in lol
No way!!! What store?!

It is a mistake made by the company. Period.
Who knows, maybe the busy busy owner of Petco coorperate finally found out what was going on with the pet mills. They all don't surf the web like we do. OR maybe the head hancho finally got replaced with someone who has a brain. I think you need to stop putting Petco down for this good desicion they are finally making. Yes it is sad several animals had to die in the flood. But think about it, several were dying of neglect. Flood or not. Several have died. And more at die if people like you continue to bash Petco even tho their NOW FINALLY making a good choice

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Do you have the address?

mrszen5

Cavy Slave
This Petco is about 10 minutes from me. It is a location notorious for flooding. It flooded in 2006, prior to the store being there and again in 2011. The Toys R Us in the same "plaza" has had to be remodeled 3x now I believe since it opened years ago. Anywho, people here were above angry that they didn't get the animals out in time. In alot of peoples opinions around this area-they were warned in plenty of time about rising waters in yet again-a notorious flood zone. There is another pet store in a different part of town that acted in time and saved the animals that were in the store. That plaza flooded as well-which is has never done although 2011's flood was devestating.
Having said all that, I wanted to give a prespective from someone that witnessed this personally. I have changed my opinions about petstores since I have chosen to go the "adoption" route to aquire my furry family members. There are many people around here that will not go into Petco even to buy supplies-this story was a huge deal along with the many other stories of people losing everything that they had.

Just my 2 cents.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles I really cannot believe that you said more animals will die if people like [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] continue to bash Petco! It's Petco and the breeding mills who are responsible for the animals dying not the people who complain about the terrible conditions they are bred in! I seriously think you need to do some research on all of this as it seems to me you're making far reaching excuses for why Petco hadn't previously made the decision to not stock live animals!

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
@traceyennis what [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] is trying to say is that we need to make sure that Petco gets the credit it deserves for even the smallest steps towards the right direction. If you are in charge of a mean little kid that keeps saying nasty things to everyone, and you're still in a terrible mood when the little kid finally makes one little compliment towards their playmate, what would make that little kid want to do anything else nice if they can be mean and get the same result?

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
@2198lindsey Sorry but I think comparing a mean little child to a corporation that knows EXACTLY what it is doing and that it is wrong are at opposite ends of the scale!

As for MrWhistles wanting Petco to have credit for what it's done - well that's up to her! I don't really care about that! What I object to is her saying that people who verbally complain about Petco will be responsible for animals dying! I'd love to see her proof of that!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=22706]traceyennis[/MENTION] what [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] is trying to say is that we need to make sure that Petco gets the credit it deserves for even the smallest steps towards the right direction. If you are in charge of a mean little kid that keeps saying nasty things to everyone, and you're still in a terrible mood when the little kid finally makes one little compliment towards their playmate, what would make that little kid want to do anything else nice if they can be mean and get the same result?

That's not what I said or even inferred. It's not a matter of giving anyone credit. Petco made changes at that store and those in flood plains only after the death of all of those animals.... which was a big story in the news and resulted in public outcry. They also have the choice to stop selling animals that they get from pet mills (living in horrible conditions that results in the deaths of many of those animals) at their other stores but they've publicly said they will continue to do so.

mrszen5

Cavy Slave
That's not what I said or even inferred. It's not a matter of giving anyone credit. Petco made changes at that store and those in flood plains only after the death of all of those animals.... which was a big story in the news and resulted in public outcry. They also have the choice to stop selling animals that they get from pet mills (living in horrible conditions that results in the deaths of many of those animals) at their other stores but they've publicly said they will continue to do so.

This is true, as I mentioned before. This was one of the biggest stories in my area because people knew what a huge threat that store was in and they didn't act on it. The public was furious. In my opinion, as much as I hate to believe it this choice was made only because of the publics response to the stores lack of responsibility for lack of a better term.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
@2198lindsey Sorry but I think comparing a mean little child to a corporation that knows EXACTLY what it is doing and that it is wrong are at opposite ends of the scale!

As for MrWhistles wanting Petco to have credit for what it's done - well that's up to her! I don't really care about that! What I object to is her saying that people who verbally complain about Petco will be responsible for animals dying! I'd love to see her proof of that!!

It may happen. People who work for Petco(cooperate or store) will read users who are speaking negatively against them. All companies read more intently on those who speak negatively than those who speak positively about the store. They do this so they can find a way to improve their line of work. And if they read more intently on negative comments then they'll decide that going the route they were going isn't worth it. ESPECIALLY when their the ones losing profit. They'll go RIGHT back to the ways that was proven "great" for them. I am rather appalled that you don't see what you do now, can affect not only you but other venues.

7201 Shoppes Dr, Melbourne, FL 32940

TY, I'll visit that location and if their adopting out, actually adopting out, small animals I'll keep them bookmarked for future reference.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
It's quite disturbing to see that even though all those animals died in the flood all because of the pet store, that they still want to retain the clause of 'while we will continue to sell...'
Is it a good thing that a pet-store got shut down? 100% most definitely.
But it's not really ideal to see the company reassure its customers that it will continue to sell in the very same line. It was their fault that those animals died, their fault that hundreds of animals have to suffer horrific treatment. Instead of stepping up to accept responsibility for what happened they are treating it as just something that happened as a result of the flooding and not their own negligence and using it to market themselves even more. Instead of saying 'We made a mistake by not evacuating those animals.' what they've basically said is 'Stuff happens in hurricanes. It's sad, but never mind; we will continue to sell our awesomely inbred and badly treated animals elsewhere!'

While I agree with the original intention of this thread to celebrate that a pet shop was closed, I disagree with the fact that the statement they released is at all appropriate or optimistic for us. No, it was not a mistake to get animals from mills, and no it was not a freak incident that those animals died - they actually, knowingly caused every bit of it by refusing to help their animals.

It is very good that a pet shop has been shut but it is terrible to see PetCo parade this attitude around in public and be supported for it.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
It may happen. People who work for Petco(cooperate or store) will read users who are speaking negatively against them. All companies read more intently on those who speak negatively than those who speak positively about the store. They do this so they can find a way to improve their line of work. And if they read more intently on negative comments then they'll decide that going the route they were going isn't worth it. ESPECIALLY when their the ones losing profit. They'll go RIGHT back to the ways that was proven "great" for them. I am rather appalled that you don't see what you do now, can affect not only you but other venues.

You're appalled at what I am doing? What exactly is it that I am doing?

I don't understand your logic of not speaking negatively about Petco in order for them to make changes to their stores. If Petco really are as simple minded as you are making them out to be then surely they need to be informed about their bad practices at their stores? Petco is a business and so the bottom line for them will always be about how best for them to make money! I think you need to ask yourself would they have made this decision about this 1 store in particular if there hadn't been floods and close to 100 animals dying? I think the answer would be NO!

I have to say that I find it shocking that you are quite happy to tell people who do care about animals that they will be responsible for them dying if they speak negatively about Petco yet have hardly said anything about close to 100 animals dying because of Petco. It wasn't SEVERAL animals like you claimed but a hell of a lot more!

Oh and also I'm glad to see that you're now backtracking on saying people are responsible for animals dying if they verbally complain about Petco and now just saying that it may happen, although I have to say that I totally disagree with you about that.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
You're appalled at what I am doing? What exactly is it that I am doing?

I don't understand your logic of not speaking negatively about Petco in order for them to make changes to their stores. If Petco really are as simple minded as you are making them out to be then surely they need to be informed about their bad practices at their stores? Petco is a business and so the bottom line for them will always be about how best for them to make money! I think you need to ask yourself would they have made this decision about this 1 store in particular if there hadn't been floods and close to 100 animals dying? I think the answer would be NO!

I have to say that I find it shocking that you are quite happy to tell people who do care about animals that they will be responsible for them dying if they speak negatively about Petco yet have hardly said anything about close to 100 animals dying because of Petco. It wasn't SEVERAL animals like you claimed but a hell of a lot more!

Oh and also I'm glad to see that you're now backtracking on saying people are responsible for animals dying if they verbally complain about Petco and now just saying that it may happen, although I have to say that I totally disagree with you about that.

Did you not just read my post. Go back and read it. I will not repeat myself.
What you're saying is COMPLETELY off from what I said. Get your head outta your bum.

Realize that Petco is doing the right thing right now. If you don't support that decision they'll go back to selling animals again.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
I purchased Lizzie and Marie from petco and even though the petco I go to takes pretty good care of their animals and have knowledgeable people working their most don't. The only animal I have recently purchased from a pet store is a betta fish only because I think fish are like the only animal that can be properly cared for in a pet store setting ( of course I still think the bettas should be housed in bigger containers but that's for another thread). and still provided the people working there are knowledgeable about the fish they are selling. I think it would be great if all pet stores stopped selling animals except for maybe fish and just did adoption days but this is a good start.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles Get my head out of my bum? Excuse me but who do you think you are to talk to me like that? I was expressing an opinion the same as you but unlike you I don't resort to being insulting and saying outrageous things to someone in order to get my point across!

What I said in my posts is not completely off from what you said! You are making claims about Petco and their practices of reading material online and how they then run their business by the results they find, and also about people and what happens when they verbally complain about Petco and so I addressed that and gave an opinion on it!!! Just because you don't agree with my opinion does not mean you then have to be rude about it!

Just to make things crystal clear to you - What I have addressed on this thread have been things that you have claimed. If you don't want people to give an opinion and can't handle their opinion respectfully then maybe you should start to think about what you're posting before you actually post!

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
Oh dear o_O
Can we just agree to disagree and have our own opinions? I mean, there's no need to fight.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles Get my head out of my bum? Excuse me but who do you think you are to talk to me like that? I was expressing an opinion the same as you but unlike you I don't resort to being insulting and saying outrageous things to someone in order to get my point across!

What I said in my posts is not completely off from what you said! You are making claims about Petco and their practices of reading material online and how they then run their business by the results they find, and also about people and what happens when they verbally complain about Petco and so I addressed that and gave an opinion on it!!! Just because you don't agree with my opinion does not mean you then have to be rude about it!

Just to make things crystal clear to you - What I have addressed on this thread have been things that you have claimed. If you don't want people to give an opinion and can't handle their opinion respectfully then maybe you should start to think about what you're posting before you actually post!

Your posts are completely off to what I posted. Since you either failed to fully read my post or lack reading comprehension, let me summarize it for you;
I am NOT saying that Petco not accepting it's responsibility for the death of several animals in their store is okay. I hardly even touched on that subject!
I am talking about the decision they made to start adopting out the small animals. About the decision to stop selling small animals in that store.

Do you understand now?

And BTW, I am being me. When someone clearly isn't understanding what I am saying there are 2 issues that could be happening. 1 I could be communicating wrong, which was clearly not the case here. 2 The receiver isn't listening or is lacking in comprehension.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
Once again you have to be insulting. I do not lack reading comprehension and I've read fully all of your posts.

My posts are not completely off from what you posted :
You claimed people who complain about Petco will be responsible for animals dying and so I addressed that.
You then claimed Petco employees read material online about them and then make decisions based on results they find and so I addressed that as well.

I have addressed the claims you keep making. How is it that you're failing to understand that?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Whatever, you continue to bicker bicker bicker. I am done with this pointless conversation. Stores like Petco want nothing but money. Why can't you be happy that their making a good change? Their adopting out small animals now and it appears they have having no financial gain in the small animals that are getting adopted. WHY aren't you happy with that? WHY do you have to bicker with me, to which I am happy they are making a change that maybe for the better?

YES they use negative comments about their company to improve their company. Then MAYBE all these comments that we've made "Don't purchase pigs from pet stores!!", just MAYBE one of those companies have finally decided, "Okay, lets 'toy' with this idea. Let's see if that makes them happy and maybe they'll start purchasing from us again". WHAT are you so dang confused about?!?

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
Where have I said that I'm not happy with petco making changes? I've never said that! Yes it's good that they made the decision to no longer sell live animals at one of their stores but I'm not going to pat them on the back for doing that.

The 'bickering' with you has been me responding to your claims about certain things on this thread. You state your opinion as if it's fact and then when someone, such as myself, then questions you about it you then become offhand and rude and so naturally I'm then going to respond to that as I personally think there's no need for you to behave in that manner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.