Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Finding a Piggy in a Haysack

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
Lately, one of my girls has taken to hanging out in the hay. I know piggies love hay, but I'm wondering if this behaviour is something I should be worried about. I can still get her out for cuddle/lap time, and she's still eating.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
My boys like to sleep, nest, and hide in their hay. The hay is loose in their cage and not contained in a rack or sack, so they're free to what they want to it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CanadianPiggies, you'll find your piggies tastes change in what they like to do, and eat, with varying frequency.

My boys will drink exclusively out of one water bottle for two or three weeks, then abruptly about face and ignore it in favour of the other one. The places they like to sleep vary every few weeks. Sometimes they love peppers, other times they'll turn up their noses at them.

Piggies are a learning curve and every pig is different, just like people. The longer you have them, the better you'll get to know their personalities and their likes and dislikes. Getting to know their habits is very key, as a change in those habits can sometimes signify an illness. Not eating is a dead giveaway for an ill pig.

If no one has suggested it yet, get yourself a digital kitchen scale that measures in grams. You should weigh your pigs once a week, preferably early in the day before they've had a chance to eat much. Weight loss is a big indicator of an ill pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.