Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My first post here: Hi from ON, Canada

Krystyna

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
my name is Chris (I'm a female just to clarify) and I'm a single mom. I have 2 daughters, one has moved out and my other daughter Kayleigh just turned 13 a few days ago :) We are from ON, Canada and very happy to be here :eek:
Kay and I have a nice selection of furry and scaled animals in our home. With our newest additions being some piggies.
my home is run by:
A cat named Kizzy: he is a seal point ragdoll, very fluffy, very cute and of course is the master of the house. He is turning 5yrs this month.
A boxer dog named Nubz, he is a nice dark brindle coloring, and will be 2 in October.
6 Bearded dragons and........
5 guinea pigs.
3 males, estimated age of 4-6wks. Unnamed so far, tho Kay wants to call one Sir Pigglesworth, which I think we will accept shortened to Piggles.
2 females approximately 1yr old each, named Penny and Peanut. We adopted them off of a local message board. I saw an ad for them, the woman was of an older age, and her and her husband could not care for them as they should be cared for, so she was looking for a good home. Well, she found it :D

The males are together, and are great fun to watch.
The females, the lady brought them in separate cages saying that Peanut bullied Penny. I have only had the girls a couple weeks, still letting them settle in and then I am going to try to reintroduce them to each other in a different cage (the cage(s) that came with them are too small, so I'm working on a C&C cage), and hopefully they will be able to be "friends". At one point they were housed together, they had been ought together......then at some point Peanut started "bullying" Penny.
If that fails, I am going to be on the look out for a young female as I believe they have a much happier life with a play mate.

anyways, I guess that's a good intro to my little zoo.
Ibe already learned so much here by reading through the fleece thread. I'm shopping for some fleece tomorrow.

Best wishes to all.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! My my my! What a collection if critters! It's an unspoken rule that you just have to post pictures! Have fun on the site!

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
What a menagerie! Welcome!

Krystyna

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the welcome :) I look forward to sharing my piggies with everyone.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm from Ontario also, nice to see some others on here! Looking forward to pigtures! :)

Krystyna

Cavy Slave
Hi Jessie, might I ask wherebouts? (just general location) I'm outside of London. I'm thinking of going to the Cavie show in Fergus in the fall :)

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
I'm close to Toronto :)
There's a cavy show? I had no idea!

Krystyna

Cavy Slave
Yes, yes there is, several actually. We have an Ontario Cavy Club. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, so, just google Ontario Cavy Club and its the first link :) One of my friends breeds Peruvians :D

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome from me and my 3 girlies.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Another ontarioer ! I don't know what the proper name is but that's okay.

I'm near @jessieisabel in Milton.

I didn't know there was a cavy show either, although I wouldn't go because those things rub me the wrong way.

I look forward to seeing pictures of the zoo.

Krystyna

Cavy Slave
I've never been to a show.... the main reason I want to go to one is because I am looking for 2 young female piggies as friends for my 1yr old girls. I've exhausted all local options, and have been told that certain breeders also have rescue animals for adoption. My fingers are crossed :)

Nice to see a couple fellow Ontarians/Ontarioers :D

Welcome! Another ontarioer ! I don't know what the proper name is but that's okay.

I'm near @jessieisabel in Milton.

I didn't know there was a cavy show either, although I wouldn't go because those things rub me the wrong way.

I look forward to seeing pictures of the zoo.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@Krystyna Where did you say you where again? London? If I remember correctly.

There are TONS of piggies around! I'd be more then happy to help you locate some in the area (check out piggles rescue, they have foster homes all over and they may be able to arrange some sort of meet up too. I got mine from there, caroline is wonderful)

There are other options, you don't need to get them from a show/breeder :)

Krystyna

Cavy Slave
@Krystyna Where did you say you where again? London? If I remember correctly.

There are TONS of piggies around! I'd be more then happy to help you locate some in the area (check out piggles rescue, they have foster homes all over and they may be able to arrange some sort of meet up too. I got mine from there, caroline is wonderful)

There are other options, you don't need to get them from a show/breeder :)

Outside of London, yes.
Can you send me a link to this rescue you mentioned? I've searched, called local animal shelters, etc and noone could help me in my hunt for young females. I would appreciate any links you could provide. Thanks in advance.

Krystyna

Cavy Slave
Update: I did check Piggles Rescue. They don't have any close to me unfortunately, however I will email the person there and ask if she can keep me in mind.

I would be grateful for any local links/info you could provide about any rescues in Southwestern ON, as I've found none locally.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
I looked on www.guineapigzone.com for pigs in your area but I don't see any rescues or anyone looking to adopt out their pigs. I got lucky with mine as someone in Kitchener had to give away theirs.

Edit: I found a new site, www.petango.com , there are pigs listed from the humane society etc and I found a lot of pigs around, you should look into it!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.