Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction can’t poop

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
I keep watching charlie try to poop because he lifts his butt, but sometimes he can’t seem to poop. But he also poops throughout the day. I am tired of having to flip him on his belly everyday and get out the poop. What can I do? Does he need gripe water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
He needs medical attention. You should take him to the vet. Also, how long has he been like this? A few days?

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
He needs medical attention. You should take him to the vet. Also, how long has he been like this? A few days?
Yes it’s been since probably friday, since he’s pooping sometimes why would he need to go the doctor? He still pooping within the normal amount that doctors recommend

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
You should take him to a cavy savvy vet. It's because he might be developing a sickness or something that could possibly be extremely life-threatening later on. Getting him checked out now and getting him checked out later could be the difference between life and death for your pig. Also even though he is "pooping the amount that doctors (do you mean vets?) recommend", the fact that some of his poop is stuck is extremely concerning.

But, the choice is yours. Please consider taking your guinea pig to the vet. A cavy savvy vet would be best.

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
You should take him to a cavy savvy vet. It's because he might be developing a sickness or something that could possibly be extremely life-threatening later on. Getting him checked out now and getting him checked out later could be the difference between life and death for your pig. Also even though he is "pooping the amount that doctors (do you mean vets?) recommend", the fact that some of his poop is stuck is extremely concerning.

But, the choice is yours. Please consider taking your guinea pig to the vet. A cavy savvy vet would be best.

I take him to “Summertree Animal & Bird Clinic” and the vet said that he should poop around 20 pellets at the minimum per 6 hours. I will take him to the vet for sure. It’s also different type of impaction it’s not a large poop it’s just a small stinky one, after about three clumped pellets. from what I’ve done research on with the guinealynx and research from this blog, I thought it was semi-normal for Charlie to have impacted poops since he is 5 and his rectal gland or not as strong as they may have once been.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's at an age where he may need help keeping his anal sac cleaned out. Cleaning out an impaction is just one of the regular chores of having an older male guinea pig.

You do need to be careful when doing it, though. The reason they get impacted is that the muscle in the anal sac lose strength. And if you push too hard trying to get the poop out, you stretch them even more and make the problem worse.

He doesn't need a vet visit, he doesn't need gripe water, he just needs a regular cleaning routine. He probably doesn't like being flipped on his back, and would be more cooperative if you hold him in your lap, his back to your chest, and clean him that way.

Have you seen this? https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Ok sorry, didn't know that he was 5 yrs

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
He's at an age where he may need help keeping his anal sac cleaned out. Cleaning out an impaction is just one of the regular chores of having an older male guinea pig.

You do need to be careful when doing it, though. The reason they get impacted is that the muscle in the anal sac lose strength. And if you push too hard trying to get the poop out, you stretch them even more and make the problem worse.

He doesn't need a vet visit, he doesn't need gripe water, he just needs a regular cleaning routine. He probably doesn't like being flipped on his back, and would be more cooperative if you hold him in your lap, his back to your chest, and clean him that way.

Have you seen this? https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac

thank you for helpful advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.