Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Howdy Folks!

Nereus

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to stop in to say howdy. Absolutely LOVE the site and all the info. Have about 16-18 hours invested in reading all the posts and endless information. Santa brought our 10 yr old son his first official pet b/c he didn't do enough research beforehand. Now I have fallen for the little dude and taken over our new piggie! lol

Over the past couple of weeks, he's gotten more used to me and will eat out of my hand (most of the time). He lets my wife pet him quite a bit more than I but I did manage to get him picked up for a little bit this evening. He seemed to be making the whining sound of being prey so I let him back down fairly quickly. Which, I'm sure, if something that big picked me up I'd whine too. :p

Anyway, will get some pictures uploaded after we get his new C&C cage finished in the next 2 or 3 days. Once again thanks for all the info and the incredible website.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
He seemed to be making the whining sound of being prey so I let him back down fairly quickly. Which, I'm sure, if something that big picked me up I'd whine too. :p

Howdy to you too, and WELCOME ! :)

I think it's GREAT that you are already, trying to understand your new little addition to your home, thinking about things, "from his, perspective !" That is truly commendable ! Sorry.....it's just that so many people miss that--and expect their new guinea pig to act like a puppy or kitten would, and they are just not like that at all.

They are, the "prey". Unlike dogs, cats, ferrets, or HUMANS...it's in their DNA to be afraid, to run away fasssst and look for "cover". In the wild, if they weren't so alert and aware all the time, they could easily become a predator's, next meal ! UGH.

I am genuinely surprised, yet delighted that you are already concious and sensitive, of their particular "mindset". We are not used to that...because often people get guinea pigs out of impulse and ignorance, ( Ahem...ahem...yeah...I did....) without realizing what kind of animal they really are, and what we can reasonalby expect from them, you know what I mean ?

You mentioned doing a lot of reading...that is really great. Just in case you haven't run across these links yet, here are a few you might be interested in, o.k. ? BEWARE. There is a ton of miss-information and out-dated books out there, on cavy care. There is only this site, cavy spirit and guinea lynx that I personally, choose to trust. So far, I have found that these are the BEST.

Guinea Pigs Social Life

https://www.guinealynx.info/

The first few days it is best to leave him be to let him get use to his surrounding environment, all the unique noises, your voices, ect.

Then as often as you can, it is good to start your bonding process, so pick him up often, and cuddle and pet and talk with him. Times to avoid are around breakfast and dinner, of course. I usually allow my girls 30 min. or so after I provide them their meal. It gives them time to munch a bit on their veggies, and then their hay, take a drink, go potty, go back for some more delicious nibbles of veggies and so on....they are "foragers" by nature, which you will come to find out after they get comfy in their new home. Just in case you haven't seen it, here are two links below on providing them a balanced healthy diet, which keeps the "Vet" at bay !

"Exotic animals", at the Vet cost a lot more than a dog or a cat would, so please be advised. If your pig/piggies have a balanced diet rich in nutrients, a plain quality timothy pellet, lots of fresh quality hay, and a big enough cage that they can run laps in, trust me...vet bills will be at a minimum ! It is totally worth the extra care and effort.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Good luck and again, WELCOME :) !

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Welcome and Howdy! Well said Kathlaaron! I found it difficult at times to understand all their sounds but over time it's like you learn to speak guinea pig. Working on a bonding experience is the greatest thing. Once your pig starts showing affection and enjoys your company you will feel a sense of accomplishment and joy. If the noise you are describing sound like they are saying Wheek multiple times then that is usually a sign that they want your attention and or food. When ever my pigs hear a plastic bag they all wheek at me saying feed me I want veggies! So good luck. You will learn a lot here and this forum can be really addicting to read and participate in.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
He seemed to be making the whining sound of being prey so I let him back down fairly quickly. Which, I'm sure, if something that big picked me up I'd whine too. :p

Whining. My beloved, "Piggie Queen with an Attitude" often whines. lol Oh brother ! Her name is Cuddles. I am well bonded with her ( Noooo...she is NOT the dominant one..) but after a year "working with her" I have come to know and love her WELL. I would NOT trade my inquisitive, appreciative, bite me in the finger when she is disgruntled, very pretty, very petite, Cuddles for NOTHING. Seriously, now.

I love Cuddles to pieces, but if she is in a baaaaad mood, you might get bit! You might think this rather ODD, but I do love her "attitude" ! I find her ingriging, and very interesting. Hopefully, someday....I will have her figured out !

I have two lovely girls, named Cuddles and Buttercup. They have owned my heart for a year now. They are COMPLETE opposites, in personality. All I can say is... Thank God for Buttercup. She is such a god send. For if it were not for her, I would think I was an IDIOT, with regards to guinea pig care. Really !

If I only went by how Cuddles use to react to me in the past, I would always, always think I was doing something wrong by her. She is just a sweet, temperamental kind of girl. Yeah...you guessed it, high maintenance.

Buttercup is an easy going, lovey dovey piggie. Everyone, all piggies I believe, would love and get along with her, quite easily. Buttercup would never bite another piggie, or a human, unless she was really scared, and felt sincerely that she was in "danger". She gives a lot of affection. She nuzzles.

Do you know what that is like, when a guinea pig ( a prey animal ) "nuzzles" you ?? It's HEAVEN.:) She doesn't always show affection towards me like that, only occasionally, but she loves getting pets and goooood rub downs. She is a very "physical loving piggie" if that makes any sense ! She is not too vocal, more physical in the way she "expresses" herself. She can also jump VERY high. I often refer to her as my ahem..."Olympian Piggie".

Anyhooo...Cuddles though temperamental....is VERY SMART. She is quick to notice any changes in her environment, and quick to understand what "Mama's" words mean....I KNOW if I wanted to, I could teach her to do tricks quite easily. She has a TON of vocal sounds. She is VERY vocal.

Cuddles is the first one to wheek for food, and she alerts Buttercup all the time about what is going on...when food is arriving...when she knows we are coming for "cuddles" with them, when it is time for a full on "cage cleaning"...or that they are going out for floor time.

Cuddles is the vocal one. She whines, too. Since I really know her now, and am very bonded to her, I find her various sounds quite amusing ! I know her well. I know when to take her "with a grain of salt" so to speak. ( Using human terms).

Whining often implies to me, that she is NOT happy to be here,with me, and to please please please put her back in her home. More often than not, I comply, but not always. Sometimes, with a little more loving, she calms right down, and surprises herself with actually "enjoying" these love pets she's recieving. And... "whispering love you's" in her ear, certainly helps !lol She LOVES:love: it when I do that !

I often use to think it would be "Buttercup" that would learn to do tricks, but since have learned she is far too lazy, and have the feeling she would not be to interested, anyway. Yeah..kind of shocked me too, at first. That is what is so intriging about these little fur balls....they really DO have minds and personalities, all thier own. And they always keep you guessing !

Anyhoo....I would post a link on "sounds" a guinea pig makes, but nothing I have come up with is very good. I will let you or someone else, find some decent links on sounds, o.k. ?

Hey-- good luck, and I hope I didn't overwhelm you, just feelin' kind of chatty tonight, is all !lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hi, Nereus. Welcome to a fellow Texan -- I'm near Houston.

Couple of tips about catching/holding him. Cut holes in the ends of a shoe box, and gently shoo him into it. Put your hands over the holes and lift the whole box out of the cage and then sit down with him. Put him on your lap and feed him goodies -- that definitely cuts down on the whining and worrying and increases the bonding. Think veggie treats when you do that -- cilantro, dill, basil and other herbs are great, an occasional piece of fruit is good, or even part of his regular veggie meal.

mac73

Cavy Slave
Hello. I am also in Texas. Glad to see another parent has been adopted by their child's pig!

Nereus

Cavy Slave
Thank everyone for the warm welcome. Also appreciate all the advice and links given. Had to go back to the wikipedia page and check Guinea Pig Sounds to make sure of the sound I heard. It is definately a whining sound but will continue to take small steps and hope it gets better.

bpatters - I appreciate the advice. Seems a little more helpful then just trying to corner him and lifting him.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.