Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick 3 month old guinea pig not eating

Nandika Gupta

Cavy Slave
Hello, this is my first time here. I stay in Manila. Philippines.

My 3 month old guinea pig has suddenly stopped eating. Last she had her normal meal was more than 18 hours ago.

During last four hours, she has taken 1.5 ml water, aprox. 2ml vitamin c, and 0.2 ml pellet mash through a 1 ml syringe. She's not making any wheeking noises. Physically she is okay but, is a bit lethargic. She passed a small quantity of urine in the last 4 hours.

It being a Sunday, I don't have access to her vet.

Any tips for handling her for next 24 to 36 hours will be helpful.

mackenzeefaith

Cavy Gazer
I know this doesn't help, but mine isn't eating that much either and I just got her 4 days ago and she's 4 months old , idk if she's eating when I'm not looking, but her food bowl doesn't seem to change.. I'm so worried

surlypiggy

Cavy Slave
If your pig isn't eating at all, you need to get him/her to a vet as soon as they open. In the meantime, you should try force feeding it Critical Care with a needle-less syringe. If you can't get Critical Care, you can make a pellet slurry with pellets and water, blending them in a blender. Then feed with a syringe.
@bpatters and @foggycreekcavy know what to do in these situations. Hopefully they will see this and respond.

Good luck

mackenzeefaith

Cavy Gazer
thank you!!

surlypiggy

Cavy Slave
@mackenzeefaith if you're not sure about your pig eating, weight the food bowl with a small amount of food in it before putting in her cage. If she has a cagemate, put her in a separate area, then leave her alone for a few hours. Weigh the bowl again to see if she ate anything.

I really hope someone else responds to this.

mackenzeefaith

Cavy Gazer

smfetter

Cavy Slave
They should be having the critical care/ pellet mash no less than every two hours because if their stomachs stop (usually after 2 hours of no food) they can die and even if they make it to the vet it can be hard to revive them. Keep syringe feeding water as well when u do the food and try putting grass, herbs and veggies in the cage just to offer food at all times until you can get to the vet! Good Luck! [emoji4][emoji194]

mackenzeefaith

Cavy Gazer
I just looked at my guinea pigs nose, and there's discharge. meaning, she's sick.. in tears right Now 😭

smfetter

Cavy Slave
Probably URI. Not too dangerous if you caught it early. Just keep her eating and drinking!

surlypiggy

Cavy Slave
Start weighing your pig everyday on a kitchen scale to make sure she's not losing weight. Since you found nasal discharge, I would try to get her into an emergency vet today. If not, get her in to a cavy savvy vet first thing in the morning. Tell them on the phone about the URI and anorexia. And definitely force feed and get water into her every two hours. If you go to the serch function on here, search for "pig not eating" or similar. It should pop up with other threads about the same issue.

mackenzeefaith

Cavy Gazer
thank you!! :))

Nandika Gupta

Cavy Slave
Thank you, everyone! Sugar has started to eat a bit more! Although she still doesn't drink water so I still give her some water from a syringe. I have put her back in her cage with her sister and both of them were very happy to see each other. I will still be taking Sugar to the vet and see what he has to say. Hope your guinea pig is doing better, @mackenzeefaith.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.