Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Minnie's medical thread

• Thread starter Princess_Piggie
  • Start date

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi all, long time member but a long time since I posted!

So a refresher, I have two little piggies, Daisy and Minnie, and this thread is regarding Minnie. We were just having our weekly check over, nails, general feel around etc, and I got to her behind and felt a crusty texture in the area her tail would be if she had one. It was her fur encased in what appeared to be dried stool, so naturally I got some tepid water and a soft cloth to dampen it off her gently, and the whole thing just came off, seemingly some skin as well which you'll see in the pictures. She now has a slight bald patch where the crusty-ness was. I've massaged in some coconut oil to the bald patch to soothe her, she didn't verbally express any pain, and semi-recently (late October) had a vet check up where she got a clean bill of health, but was given antibiotics (Baytril) as a precaution as Daisy had URI symptoms and the vet wanted to be cautious about it being passed between them if they weren't both dosed at the same time.

Attached are pictures of what came off of her, and how her behind looked afterwards (with the fur spread a little so you can see the bald patch)

I basically need some advice on whether or not this is simply a case of she decided to lay down in some wet poop (which is by the way of completely normal texture, so it must have also been peed on), or whether or not she has some sort of skin condition developing and needs to see a vet.

Thanks in advance!

IMAG0691.jpgIMAG0693.jpgIMAG0694.jpgIMAG0695.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Hair and some skin seems to have come off, advice on what to do? (pics included)

I'd rub it a couple of times a day for several days with cold pressed virgin coconut oil and see if that helps. If the patch gets any larger, see https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html and get one of the creams recommended for fungus -- they're all available at any drug store.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Re: Hair and some skin seems to have come off, advice on what to do? (pics included)

Thanks [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] - if it does turn out to be fungus, what are the risks of it being passed to her cage mate?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Some, but not enough to separate them, IMO. I'd just keep an eye on both of them, and clean the cage frequently.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave

Will do, and I'll post back if the patch enlarges. Thankfully my coconut oil is the correct type so I've already started on the right path. Thanks again!

Rywen

Cavy Slave

Hi [MENTION=29900]Princess_Piggie[/MENTION] !

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave

It could be her grease gland got mucked up. Although it is mostly a problem you find with male guinea pigs, one of my girls occasionally needs hers cleaned. I just rub in a little cold-pressed coconut oil and wipe off the excess with a baby wipe. If I don't keep it clean she will pull chunks of her fur out around it.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave

Good to hear from you again [MENTION=29900]Princess_Piggie[/MENTION] !

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

Yes, that's right where the grease gland is. Coconut oil is good for rubbing in grease glands.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave

Well I've been rubbing her regularly with the cold pressed coconut oil and the patch if anything seems to have gotten ever so slightly smaller, so thankfully it seems to be the grease gland. I'll be keeping a close eye on both of theirs from now on!
[MENTION=31451]pigmommy89[/MENTION] it's good to be back!
[MENTION=30078]Rywen[/MENTION] Hello again!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave

[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], this is a new subject for the same pig, could you please update the title to something more suitable?

So yet again, Minnie seems to find herself in some sort of trouble. Less mysterious this time though. A scratch in the corner of the eye, obviously the result of hay. I'd just like some advice on what the usual course of treatment is, be it a cream (I know I'd have to go the vet for that to get an eye friendly one), or oral antibiotics to prevent infection.

It doesn't seem to have bled at all and seems fairly fresh as there is no scabbing.

DSC_0712.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd just watch it. From what I can, it doesn't seem to be in the eye itself, just very close to it. If I'm wrong, then you need antibiotic drops for her eye. And of course, if it gets worse, see a vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.