Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play how to train ur piggy

pigsNblanket

Cavy Slave
:melodrama OK so I've read how u can teach ur piggys tricks and things, is this really true? And if so what can u teach them and how? I spend about 16 hours with my piggy, we cuddle and I talk to him, he loves being wrapped like a burrito and then laying on my chest. He gets tons of floor time but he just snoozes in his pigloo most of the time. I just want him to do stuff and get exercise. So if y'all have taught ur piggiest tricks please share as well as how to. Oh Carl is 1 year old does that matter?

Also it gets hot here in CA in the summer, while Carl lives inside the house it still gets hot. He is a silky so I trim his hair when it gets to long but I was thinking of a short hair cut for the summer, and also he gets poo stuck in his bum hairs. How do u shave a piggy bum? Should I do this? I think it would help with the bum baths and hair clumps. HELP :boggled:

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
He is probably lonely and in need of a piggy friend to run around with. Guinea pigs are very social animals and do much better in company of other guinea pigs.

pigsNblanket

Cavy Slave
Yes :eek:ptimist: he will be getting two brothers in about two weeks. I hope that'll perk him up. He had a brother who passed away about six months ago, so hopefully he will like his brothers. But I am still wanting to teach him some tricks . :)

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Hmm.. I know that you can clicker train rabbits like you do with dogs, it might work with a piggy?

Ranijuliet

Cavy Slave
You can clicker train piggies. look it up on youtube. I trained my boy to do circles and hes 2 years old. Its the cutest thing ever!

Ranijuliet

Cavy Slave
I[video=facebook;4872997391541]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4872997391541[/video][VIDEO] used the same method as above and this was my results :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
FOOD! Food is the way to a piggies heart! When training the pigs, a lot of food and patience is what you need. I'm am trying to get the girls to come when called… Not working so well when there is no food. :D

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Sitting up is really easy if he has a favorite goody. Just teach him to follow his nose and he'll learn it in no time. Both my girls sit up to beg on command.

pigsNblanket

Cavy Slave
Sitting up is really easy if he has a favorite goody. Just teach him to follow his nose and he'll learn it in no time. Both my girls sit up to beg on command.

So do u just dangle it in front of them just out if reach then when they sit up give if to them? HD loves parsley do should I shield it to him and then hold it up a little?

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I taught Tigger to ring a little bell and she would get a small veggie treat. It didn't take very long for her to abuse the privilege, so the bell only goes in occasionally now, otherwise she will get to many treats. Here's a video. As [MENTION=26768]Varcoda[/MENTION] said, make sure you have plenty of veggie rewards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VZxb5O_5yc

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
oh that's not my video haha, sorry i forgot to point that out! there's some pretty good videos on youtube for piggy training :D

pigsNblanket

Cavy Slave
I taught Tigger to ring a little bell and she would get a small veggie treat. It didn't take very long for her to abuse the privilege, so the bell only goes in occasionally now, otherwise she will get to many treats. Here's a video. As [MENTION=26768]Varcoda[/MENTION] said, make sure you have plenty of veggie rewards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VZxb5O_5yc
Adorable! How did u teach her that? Soooo cute

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Adorable! How did u teach her that? Soooo cute

Thanks! At first, I would ring the bell and then would give her a carrot, so she would associate the bell with getting a treat. It took some time, but eventually she learned how to ring the bell when she wanted food.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
[h=3]Olympic jump training[/h]
Check out what [MENTION=25936]danitxo[/MENTION] taught her clever piggie! I tried to teach mine this but they bypassed the ring and wheeked at me for treats!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
So do u just dangle it in front of them just out if reach then when they sit up give if to them? HD loves parsley do should I shield it to him and then hold it up a little?
I started out with the dangling. Both girls come running for treats when they're in their playpen. I started by holding one of their favorite treat right above their nose and giving it to them when they craned toward it. Then I made them have to sit up for it. Now they'll often sit up when they know I'm coming with something good, even before I give the signal.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
This is a good book for training! it also talkes about C&C cages. its a good one. (broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.