Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Rehoming my guinea pigs

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I’m going to rehome my 3 GPs soon.I still love them very much, but this is for their own good.

I’m a minor, and my whole family hate the GPs. Every day; my parents complain about the smell even though I was fleece every day and spot clean several times a day. They force me to use DANGEROUS bedding, such as wire bottom cages and paper with lots of ink on it. They demand me to stop spending so much time to wash the fleece. Honestly fleece is the only safe and cheap bedding I can find here. And the GP cages, they’re WAY too small! At first they were in a HAMSTER CAGE. My mom got me a dog crate and told me to keep them in there despite the information I gave her about cage sizes. I managed to get a 2 by 4 CC now and I have to listen to their complaints every day about how much space it takes up. I have to get small 1 kg hay bags and pellet bags for them every 3 weeks (it’s the only way I can get it) and it’s getting so expensive. I save ALL of my pocket money for that but it’s not enough... I ask them for cash, but they won’t give me any! They even think of cutting down on my pocket money because I spend it all for the GPs! Whenever I find my dad to ask him to buy things for them, he tries to avoid it and that’s so annoying!!! You can see in my other thread about Durian. He was a weak baby who needed support, I asked dad to get CC for them and he refused. He said, “Why do you have to spend so much money on this? It’s going to die sooner or later.” Now the most important thing - vet trips.The exotic vet’s is far away from home and I can’t take the GPs there on my own. Every time I say “my guinea pig is sick”; they reply : “Oh well, then it dies! After that, we’ll get you a new one”. I explained that GPs hide illnesses and they’ll go downhill really quickly, and my GP must be brought to the vet’s ASAP. But they still avoid or delay it as much as they can! What if there was an emergency condition and they keep refusing to take my GPs to the vet like this??? They take the GPs out to threaten me.“If you fail your test, one of them will be thrown outside and left to die”. When I do something wrong, getting a bad grade for example; they will PUNISH the GPs instead! I cried watching them being held violently and left outside for a while. This is just too brutal. They treat my pets as if they were things that can be thrown out or give away anytime they want.The worst thing is, there’s nothing I can do about it.

I can’t keep watching the GPs suffer like this. This is a really tough decision, but I decided to give them to an adult who can take good care of them. I know I’ll miss them very much but if they stay with me, they suffer.

I want to know the last things I could do for them before they are rehomed.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry that you have to rehome your guinea pigs but you are doing the right thing for them. They are helpless and cannot speak for themselves so they are dependent on you. Do you already have a home lined up for them?

I can tell that you do love your pigs and when you are an adult and living on your own you can get guinea pigs and shower them with love. I know it hurts to give them up but remember you are doing the kindest thing for them.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking with your question of what to do for them before rehoming. Are you asking about how to rehome them?

Once again, I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation but you are showing your maturity by putting your pigs first. Your family life will be more peaceful and eventually you will have guinea pigs again. You've learned how to care for them and your future pigs will benefit from that experience.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Thank you [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION]. I was asking about what I could do before rehoming them. I haven’t found a home for them yet.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
If I am understanding you correctly, you are wondering if there is anything that you could do to make your parents more accepting of your piggies. If that is the case, considering how your parents feel I think rehoming your pigs is in the best interest for everyone involved.

I wish I could give you a magic answer that would make everyone happy but I think the safety of your pigs has to be the main consideration. If we lived near each other I would take your piggies so that you could see them and know that they were safe and happy. Unfortunately, we live across the world from each other.

I don't know if you have guinea pig rescues in your country but if you do I would contact them. Whatever you do please make sure that you ask for money when you list your piggies. If you find them a great home then you can forget about the money. Asking for money will prevent someone from taking them for bad reasons.

I know this is very difficult for you but please let us know how everything is resolved. I will be keeping your piggies in my thoughts.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I was wondering what I could do for my pigs before rehoming them, like, how to ensure that they’re healthy and happy before going to the new home and ensure that they’ll get in a good home. What should I tell the new owner?
There are very, very few animal rescues in my country, and there are absolutely no guinea pig rescues. If there were a guinea pig rescue in my country, I wouldn’t have to ask for help here.
I have told my parents that I want to rehome the pigs, and I guess they think that’s a good idea. They have wanted to get rid of the pigs all the time, anyways... Should I let them find the pigs a home? I guess no member in our forum lives near me.
After becoming an adult and having my own job, I’ll get guinea pigs again. But as I said, there are no rescues in my country. Where should I get the new pigs from ? I’m ashamed to say that 2 of my pigs come from piggy mills (the other 1 is from an accidental pregnancy).

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@peanny77, I knew right from the start when you first joined that you would do whatever your pigs needed. I find your parents behavior regarding your babies absolutely deplorable, and that's all I can say on the subject and remain civil.

My heart breaks for you having to come to this decision. I know you will do whatever needs to be done in your pigs' best interest, and I am tremendously impressed with your maturity.

I have no doubt in the future, when you're able to provide them with care on your own, that you'll be the best piggie parent you can be. Piggies around the world need parents like you.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I have found a possible future home for the pigs! My younger brother’s friend’s sister owns 2 boars. She is around my age and she loves them a lot. She’s pretty knowledgeable about them too. They’re all fed correctly: unlimited hay, good pellets and veggies; and they’re all healthy and happy. The best thing is, her mom is willing to clean their cage, buy them quality food and take them to the vet whenever they need! Unlike many other gp owners in my country, this family knows about risks of guinea pig pregnancy, so they never ever bred gps. The only flaw is the boars are kept in a 2x3 CC, I’ve told the family that the cage should be a little bigger. I also asked them if they can take my gps and now I’m waiting for their response.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I hope this works out for your guinea pigs. You are such a responsible owner, I give you a lot of credit for getting them a good home.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Last update on my pigs.The new owner came to my house this Monday and bought them with her.I miss them a lot,and everyday I still come downstairs regularly to pick them up and then realize they’re not there anymore...At least they’re in a good and safe home and will never suffer again.
I’m looking foward to getting guinea pigs again after my 18th birthday.I’m now 14,so 4 years later.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for giving us an update on your piggies. I'm happy to know that they are in a good home and that you are able to see them. I'm really surprised to see that you are only 14, you have always come across as more mature. Those four years will go by very quickly and then you will be able to adopt more piggies and provide the best home for them. When that happens, I hope you will come back to this forum.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very glad to hear you found a good home for them, [MENTION=45795]peanny77[/MENTION] . I've said before and I'll say again, you have the makings of a very dedicated piggy parent. The biggest trait indicator was the desire to put your pigs first, no matter what. I'm disappointed that your parents are unwilling to help, and indeed used them as leverage against you. You seem to be learning on your own what being a parent means.

I wish you the very best of luck moving forward. I'm sure we'll all be here when you open your own home to pigs.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@peanny77, I'm glad to read that your piggies have found a loving home. You can always continue to be an active member of this forum even without piggies and get your daily piggy fix.

I've visited Asia a number of times and found that it is hard to have small pets there. The commercial pet market is so geared towards dogs but hard to find supplies for small animals such as guinea pigs. You did a great job caring for your piggies under your care, looking for hay, critical care, etc... for them.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I was wondering what I could do for my pigs before rehoming them, like, how to ensure that they’re healthy and happy before going to the new home and ensure that they’ll get in a good home. What should I tell the new owner?
There are very, very few animal rescues in my country, and there are absolutely no guinea pig rescues. If there were a guinea pig rescue in my country, I wouldn’t have to ask for help here.
I have told my parents that I want to rehome the pigs, and I guess they think that’s a good idea. They have wanted to get rid of the pigs all the time, anyways... Should I let them find the pigs a home? I guess no member in our forum lives near me.
After becoming an adult and having my own job, I’ll get guinea pigs again. But as I said, there are no rescues in my country. Where should I get the new pigs from ? I’m ashamed to say that 2 of my pigs come from piggy mills (the other 1 is from an accidental pregnancy).

Sometimes normal rescue shelters wind up with guinea pigs. It is very rare, but it happens occasionally.

namida

Cavy Gazer
No offence at all but I am just curious about how did you get the GPs - even 3 of them - in the first place? Were they some kind of gifts from your parents? If so, were they somehow being “forced” to buy the GPs or did they do it willingly?

I really appreciate your decision to rehome your pigs - it is very selfless and considerate of you to take this move. The reason I am asking is that I have seen many kids like yourself who has a caring heart for the GPs but couldn’t provide them a happy home because of lack of parents’ support. Everytime I saw this kind of threads, I was always upset and wondered why some adults can be so irresponsible and thoughtless about raising animals as if they were just an object who does not have a feeling. Human should be enforced to pass personality tests to get a license for keeping pets...

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
No offence at all but I am just curious about how did you get the GPs - even 3 of them - in the first place? Were they some kind of gifts from your parents? If so, were they somehow being “forced” to buy the GPs or did they do it willingly?

I really appreciate your decision to rehome your pigs - it is very selfless and considerate of you to take this move. The reason I am asking is that I have seen many kids like yourself who has a caring heart for the GPs but couldn’t provide them a happy home because of lack of parents’ support. Everytime I saw this kind of threads, I was always upset and wondered why some adults can be so irresponsible and thoughtless about raising animals as if they were just an object who does not have a feeling. Human should be enforced to pass personality tests to get a license for keeping pets...

I am another example of ¨non supporting parents¨ There is a big difference between me and my parents, I want whats best for them, my dad wants whats cheapest.

namida

Cavy Gazer
I am another example of ¨non supporting parents¨ There is a big difference between me and my parents, I want whats best for them, my dad wants whats cheapest.
I am an adult and I earn my own money to raise and spoil my pigs. Even so, my parent would tell me not to waste so much money on them whether I get them new toys and treats. I was like shut up, its totally none of your business lol Maybe they just enjoy being bossy (rolling eye)

peanny77

Cavy Slave

They WERE gifts from my parents. At 7th grade I became one of the class’s top students (please don’t get me wrong,I’m not bragging).They wanted to “reward” me for that. I said I wanted pets, and they saw that GPs were “cheap” so they got two for me. I got another from a relative who used to be a breeder (I told him to stop breeding and he did that,few...).When one of them passed away, my parents got me a new one as soon as possible bc they think that would make me feel better... That new one was missexed and got the others pregnant. I rehomed him with the male pups earlier, and kept the only female pup. So that was how I got my 3.
I really want to adopt, but sadly there aren’t any shelters in my country. I also wonder, 4 years later when I want to get pigs again, where can I get them from?
I have done my best persuading my parents that gps need hay 24/7, larger space, safe bedding, quality veggies,... but I failed. They only want to get what is cheapest! (Hay is expensive here and pet shops often sell it in tiny 1kg bags.The 25kg bale was so cheap but they didn’t allow me to buy it.I just don’t get it). There was once I didn’t have any money and they left my pigs a MONTH without hay! And I couldn’t do anything.
I think I can only provide my pets a happy life when I’m an adult and can make money on my own so that I don’t have to rely on my parents for everything.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I am an adult and I earn my own money to raise and spoil my pigs. Even so, my parent would tell me not to waste so much money on them whether I get them new toys and treats.
Oh...Now I’m afraid that will happen to me too...My parents and grandma keep complaining about my aunt spoiling her dogs...
I was like shut up, its totally none of your business lol Maybe they just enjoy being bossy (rolling eye)
In Asia if you do that,you’ll get a slap in your face. So I can’t answer back at my parents...

namida

Cavy Gazer
They WERE gifts from my parents. At 7th grade I became one of the class’s top students (please don’t get me wrong,I’m not bragging).They wanted to “reward” me for that. I said I wanted pets, and they saw that GPs were “cheap” so they got two for me. I got another from a relative who used to be a breeder (I told him to stop breeding and he did that,few...).When one of them passed away, my parents got me a new one as soon as possible bc they think that would make me feel better... That new one was missexed and got the others pregnant. I rehomed him with the male pups earlier, and kept the only female pup. So that was how I got my 3.
I really want to adopt, but sadly there aren’t any shelters in my country. I also wonder, 4 years later when I want to get pigs again, where can I get them from?
I have done my best persuading my parents that gps need hay 24/7, larger space, safe bedding, quality veggies,... but I failed. They only want to get what is cheapest! (Hay is expensive here and pet shops often sell it in tiny 1kg bags.The 25kg bale was so cheap but they didn’t allow me to buy it.I just don’t get it). There was once I didn’t have any money and they left my pigs a MONTH without hay! And I couldn’t do anything.
I think I can only provide my pets a happy life when I’m an adult and can make money on my own so that I don’t have to rely on my parents for everything.
I am sorry you (and your pigs) have to suffer all these. I don't know where you come from so I cannot suggest where you can adopt a pig. If you cannot find a shelter, I think it is okay to buy from a pet store as long as it is a moral one. Guinea pig is not a common pet in my country and it is hard to find one in rehoming centers. I got my pigs from a local pet store. The area they keep the guinea pig is soooo huge that it is like a small playground for children and the condition is spectacular. The store assistant is very knowledgeable about guinea pig. She did not even show me the pigs until making sure that I was committed to buy a cage in correct size (at least 120cm x 60cm for babies; they now have even bigger space to play and run) and other necessities (hay, hay feeder, pullets, toys etc.).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@namida, we do not recommend that people buy from pet stores under any circumstances. Most guinea pigs sold in stores are bred and raised in horrible conditions. No effort is made to keep track of who's impregnating whom, and there is much inbreeding. Sows are kept continually pregnant until they are too old to breed, and then they're killed.

If you're in an area that doesn't have guinea pig rescues, you should seriously consider getting another kind of pet rather than a guinea pig When you buy from a pet store, you participate in that chain of horrible breeding and sale of guinea pigs, and there's just no need to do that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.