Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior piggies nipping

maiden

Cavy Slave
My piggies are starting to bite when we hold them is this a common thing? also I will gently give her a quick blow of air into her nose once she bites me hoping this will stop her from doing it. She is a young pig. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx Maiden

cavyCarrie

Cavy Slave
I'm actually having a simiar problem with my male guinea pig, Mohinder. He is approx 3 months. I wasn't sure how to handle it either. I heard that you are not supposed to put them down when they do it or else they may learn to use biting/nipping as a means of getting you to let them go.

meggymoomoo

Cavy Slave
My 5mo old girls do this I've tried lightly blowing near their face but they get nervous and bite harder. Hershey made my thumb bleed ever so slightly.

cavyCarrie

Cavy Slave
i'm hoping it's a phace and once they become adults they stop. you know, like how puppies chew everything?

meggymoomoo

Cavy Slave
i'm hoping it's a phace and once they become adults they stop. you know, like how puppies chew everything?
I'm hoping this too. Like they are still getting used to us and being picked up but piggies are smart. They might use nipping to their advantage way to much. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Guineagirl_7

Cavy Slave
my new guinea pig, shes only 8 weeks old and is doing it. She used to be really shy but now its like shes getting very cocky. it doesn't hurt and never bleeds but i want her to stop biting me. Earlier, i wasn't ever patting her, i just had her on my lap while i was doing my home work and she walked over to my hand and bit it. A bit of a change from the sweet little shy thing i owned a week ago. is it just a phase?? i don't remember my other pigs ever biting me.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Some pigs nip, some don't. Negative reinforcement does not work with guinea pigs though so I wouldn't blow in their face, that won't stop them. They do tend to explore with their mouths more when younger so they should grow out of it a little. Sometimes they will nip when they need to go back in their cage, and it avoids you being peed on, which I appreciate with my boys!

maiden

Cavy Slave
Hi there
I just googled it and got a whole page of why they do it so it's best to check it out and decide for yourself. They say not to blow onto their faces as that can frighten them and they could end up not liking you, then someone said to do it so I'm confused, best to use your own judgement i guess.

maiden

Cavy Slave
Hi there
I just googled it and got a whole page of why they do it so it's best to check it out and decide for yourself. They say not to blow onto their faces as that can frighten them and they could end up not liking you, then someone said to do it so I'm confused, best to use your own judgement i guess.

maiden

Cavy Slave
I like your advice and I wont be blowing on them as some say to not do it and others say to do it, confusion lol

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yeah there is a lot of contradicting information out there about guinea pigs! My best advice with nippers is to watch their behavior and get to know your pig. One of my boys bites pretty often I think just checking my hand for the umpteenth time 'is this food?'...he's still pretty young. One will sometimes nip lightly while liking your hand, as affection/to get the salt off your skin. And my older two both will nip a little harder when they want to be done with laptime which often also means they need to go to the bathroom and should be put back in their cage. That kind of nip often coincides with antsy-ness and whining. As your pig gets older and you get to know it better you'll be able to tell more and the nipping should calm down :)

maiden

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your good advice it makes sense to me and I will try to be more vigilant about their toileting. Cheers

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.