Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Frequently Breaking Teeth

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
I was checking on my old lady Mizzy today and noticed she broke one of her teeth... again. This is the second or third time in the last 6 months. I have lots of syringes and that oxbow powder that you mix with water to feed them and I'm familiar with the routine, so I don't really need help with that but I wanted to ask if theres anything nutritional that could be causing these frequent teeth problems. I've seen a vet before when she broke one her teeth and she didn't see any other problems in her mouth, so I'm just stumped at who she brakes them so much. She gets fed a variety of veggies, Blue Seal pellets, and unlimited hay every day, and I always keep a toy or something to chew on in the cage. She's almost 7 years old so I'm not sure if her old age has anything to go with it either? So any ideas would be awesome :) Thanks!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Does she chew the bars?

meggymoomoo

Cavy Slave
Is the hay really hard? Does she chew on only SAFE chew toys (not the cage or food bowl/hay rack)? Is her water bottle ok?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Age could have quite a lot to do with it. She may not be metabolizing calcium very well, which is something she needs for her teeth. But on the hand, too much calcium could cause urinary tract stones at her age, and that's a way worse problem than a broken tooth.

As long as she can eat ok, I wouldn't worry too much about the teeth.

Here's some more info: https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Is the hay really hard? Does she chew on only SAFE chew toys (not the cage or food bowl/hay rack)? Is her water bottle ok?

The hay is fine I'm pretty sure, I've used it on all my pigs for a long time :) and yes, she has safe chew toys, but it doesn't stop her from chewing on everything else as well xD

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Age could have quite a lot to do with it. She may not be metabolizing calcium very well, which is something she needs for her teeth. But on the hand, too much calcium could cause urinary tract stones at her age, and that's a way worse problem than a broken tooth.

As long as she can eat ok, I wouldn't worry too much about the teeth.

Here's some more info: https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

Thanks, that's very helpful :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Yes, but not any more than my other pig

That's how many pigs lose their teeth, but she may be more susceptible to damage.
I'd try to cover the grids with fabric, especially if she only chews on a certain section.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
I think it would have to do with age or the bar biting, for that you could make the coroplast higher in your cage or lay fabric over the grids. To stop chewing her food bowl, you could buy a Naughty Strawberry and place it near it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's probably the bars that she's getting a tooth caught on. I agree that raising the sides so she can't get to the grids might help.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone :) I'll work on either covering it with fabric of raising the sides and see if it helps. I've been hand feeding her and she's doing just fine, the tooth has already gotten a bit longer

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.