Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy Introducing the Newest Member of the Piggy Family...

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
On Saturday night I was delightfully surprised because, as an early Christmas present, I was presented with the newest member of my piggy family...
Muffin!

Muffin is a female crested piggy that is around 2 months old. She is skittish, of course, but otherwise very sweet. For now, she is staying in a(thankfully temporary)store bought cage until I can get a decent C&C cage put together for her. Of course, she will be kept separate from Bacon and Eggs, considering she is a female. I am going to talk to my parents about getting her a friend ASAP, but for now I'm just letting her get used to her new home.

Now for the questions. I have no room to expand my current 2x5 C&C cage outwards, only upwards, so I was hoping to purchase some more grids and coroplast to build a double decker cage. The thing is, my cage is going to have to be fully enclosed due to my cat. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this? My dad also said that, if I can find a reasonable plan, we could also build our own cage, though I have no idea how to do that with plenty of venilation and not end up being ridiculously expensive.

I will post pictures of my new little girl soon!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look at the photo galleries of cages. There are tons of two-level cages there.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new little girl! Can't wait to see the pictures. I have a crested pig too, my solid white guy Randy.

I have a two level cage, which is currently divided to house my two girls together and then Randy by himself. You could probably do something similar with grids. Or build it with doors, like I did (here's my thread about how I built it: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...lete-and-I-love-it!!!!-(pictures)?highlight=).

I will say I'm very happy with it. One thing I really like about mine is that the top is offset the back a little, so the front half of the bottom level is not covered so I can reach in very easily to sweep poops. But you could very easily add a row of 1x6 row of grids to be a lid. Just zip tie them to the front row.

Good luck!

WP_20151108_008.jpg

WP_20151108_010.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I have two different set ups, stacked Midwest's in my house at school and a stacked C&C back at home (which I don't have a photo of with me).

Here's a photos of the Midwest set up:

20151214_195802.jpg

My C&C set up us very similar to the table that these cages are on except My C&C also has legs going up the top cage and a fully wooden top. Both of the cages slide out and there is about an inch of space between the bars and the wooden top so it's pet proof. There's no way my cats could get in. And it's strong as my cats love to lounge on top of it. Ventilation isn't an issue as the cage is completely open on 3 sides and I have low coroplast (3 inches) expect for the kitchens which are 6 inches (excluding the front lip where they jump in).

There are a lot of examples of stacked cages though and they are amazing space savers! I will say, you'll want you top cage to be wider than 1 grid though. 14 inches isn't wide enough.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions! I was thinking that maybe I could get 14 more grids to go around the top of Bacon and Eggs's cage to make a sort of connecting floor so that some light could be let in(so as to not completely stack one on top of the other and make it easier to get into)and then have it so the front part can fold out and in, if that makes any sense.

Also, here is a picture of Muffin!
20151213_190013.jpg

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
She is so cute!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I will say, you'll want you top cage to be wider than 1 grid though. 14 inches isn't wide enough.
@sallyvh just wanted to clarify that Randy currently lives alone and is about 6 months old, so a 1.25 x 6 is fine for him. Honestly I think it would be fine for a full-grown solo pig. But not for two pigs. Agreed, @BaconAndEggs would need a 2 x something. In the next few months I'm going to introduce Randy to my girls again (he is neutered, but first intro failed), so then all three pigs will have run of the whole cage and the upper level will be like a loft, maybe a kitchen.

pinky

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh just wanted to clarify that Randy currently lives alone and is about 6 months old, so a 1.25 x 6 is fine for him. Honestly I think it would be fine for a full-grown solo pig. But not for two pigs. Agreed, @BaconAndEggs would need a 2 x something. In the next few months I'm going to introduce Randy to my girls again (he is neutered, but first intro failed), so then all three pigs will have run of the whole cage and the upper level will be like a loft, maybe a kitchen.

1.25 is too narrow for a cage.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Just to give you an idea of what I was hoping to do with the cage, here is something similar that I found while browsing the photo gallery: (broken link removed)

Any ideas on how to make a latch of some sort that will allow the front of the cage to fold out like a door?

Also, to clear it up, Muffin's cage will be another 2x5-I guess I didn't say that. Since I am hoping to someday get her a friend, that will be the cage size I'm sticking with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.