Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

mouse control options

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Ok, I live in a very old, very large house. It is twp stories with a full basement. I noticed today that there were mouse droppings along my baseboard. Not thrilled one bit. I have three children, a dog, five guinea pigs, a hamster and soon two chinchillas. Im looking for the safest way to get rid of the mice but also practical since mt house is huge. I was looking at the high frequency sound emitters but im concerned that it would affect my pigs and hamsters. Would it? Would it be safe to use in my basement or upstairs where my animals arent at? What is the best way to get rid of these little buggers?

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
You might try peppermint extract? Unless it's close to the pigs/hamsters where the strong odor might upset them.

EmPiggieFan

Cavy Slave
When I had mice in my shed I did research into ways of getting rid without calling an exterminator and all the reviews in the UK for the HF sound emitters were that they didn't really work. Instead as my other half has had cats his whole life we went with back breakers and he dealt with them. We did think about poison but I felt it was inhumane for them to have a slow and painful death. You will need to disinfect anywhere there are droppings as mice are urine incontinent and therefore urinate everywhere they go and it can carry diseases. Annoyingly for me now is that the mouse nest under the shed which is now vacant has been populated with a bumblebee nest.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A cat? Since you've got a menagerie already, that might be an option. :)

I can't help you with the mice, but I definitely wouldn't use the high frequency sound emitter.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
@bpatters a cat was my first thought but my dog does not like xats at all. I am going to try peppermint oil and just the tradional traps I guess. I clean my house daily but disease is still a huge concern obviously.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My sister got a cat for that reason and they ended up with one really sweet cat and no more mouse problems.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
There are humane live traps that work well. I remember having to do research on them while getting my degree in marketing. There are traps where you can either catch and release, or if you leave the mouse in them they will suffocate. I prefer the catch and release method, as I don't kill things.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
We had some in my garage and they came into the pig room once or twice. We used poison and traps and it worked. I know some people don't like those options but they were effective...

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
We had a field mouse living in our garden (our bird house, to be exact). Since it wasn't coming in the house, me and my mum wanted to just leave it be, but my aunty being the cruel animal hater she is (I'm not exaggerating) bought poison. When we did get one in the house a couple years later, we just didn't tell her and used the catch-and-release method. Humane traps are just as effective as inhumane if you're willing to check regularly.

Speaking of cats (and aunty-animal-hater), we have a shed that we never go in, because we're in a rented property ATM. The window was broken when we got here, and we didn't care enough to repair it because well, we just don't use sheds. But as soon as neighbourhood cats starting using it for shelter, my damn aunty boarded the window up. There's a woman down our street with 16 cats, so I kinda liked letting them use our shed for peace and quiet now and again :sad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.