Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Frozen greenbeans?

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
I've read that guinea pigs can eat greenbeans but we don't buy them fresh... We buy bagged frozen greenbeans and I'm wondering can he eat those? And what about frozen blueberries? Just wondering also about frozen food in general, what's bad about it and can they have it every once in a while?
Thanks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've read that guinea pigs can eat greenbeans but we don't buy them fresh... We buy bagged frozen greenbeans and I'm wondering can he eat those? And what about frozen blueberries? Just wondering also about frozen food in general, what's bad about it and can they have it every once in a while?
Thanks!

I'd feed fresh fruits and vegetables. I don't know if frozen vegetables are blanched or if preservatives are added to keep them longer. You can buy most vegetables in very small quantities at the grocery store.

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
I'd feed fresh fruits and vegetables. I don't know if frozen vegetables are blanched or if preservatives are added to keep them longer. You can buy most vegetables in very small quantities at the grocery store.
What if it says no preservatives on the bag? I have a bag of Bird's Eye French Cut Greenbeans. It's just greenbeans in the ingredients and it says no preservatives...

pinky

Cavy Slave
What if it says no preservatives on the bag? I have a bag of Bird's Eye French Cut Greenbeans. It's just greenbeans in the ingredients and it says no preservatives...

I'd feed fresh. I think frozen vegetables are blanched before freezing and lose some nutrients.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I'd feed fresh. I think frozen vegetables are blanched before freezing and lose some nutrients.

Depends on the brand. Some are flash frozen from fresh. They loose very little nutrients if done that way. Can veggies are more likely to be blanched to kill bacteria before canning.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Depends on the brand. Some are flash frozen from fresh. They loose very little nutrients if done that way. Can veggies are more likely to be blanched to kill bacteria before canning.

You might have to contact the individual company to see how they package them because it's not on the packaging. Most are sprayed or blanched to kill bacteria and then frozen. I've thawed green beans and they're not the same consistency as fresh. The following link says the nutrients are preserved but they are blanched.

(broken link removed)

RoxMad

Cavy Slave
I use frozen green beans for my girls. They don't get green beans too often, and the fresh seem to go bad really quickly. I only buy a few at a time, and if I forget to give them, they have mold in a few days! So, I bought frozen green beans that don't have preservatives (the ingredients only list green beans). Another option is purchasing a bunch of fresh and freezing them yourself! Green beans serve as more of a variety addition to my girls' diet than a major nutrient source. As Inle_Rabbit mentioned, some are frozen immediately, in which case they likely actually contain more nutrients than fresh veggies! No way of telling unless you can contact the company, I'm sure. Hope that helped! My girls seem to enjoy the different textures between fresh and frozen veggies as well!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
When I freeze blackberries from the garden I wash them, then lay them out on cookie sheets with towels to dry. Then I put the whole cookie sheet in the freezer so they freeze individually instead of clumped together. I would think you could do that with green beans too. I just bag them up, with the air squished out after about an hour. Works great for berries :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.