Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Is this a good brand?

san_sam

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

I am planning on introducing my boys and girls to pellets and there is no good place here which sells guinea pig pellets. Only a particular brand is available that is (broken link removed) It is a Belgian brand or something I guess. Does any of you buy these pellets and please tell me if I can go ahead and get their guinea pig pellets which is on this link (broken link removed)

I can't find an ingredients list for their products.

What country are you in?

I tried to open the different links to see what the ingredients are and it doesn't tell you what it's specifically made of. The ingredients are what will tell you if a pellet is acceptable or not. I can see a lot of different colored bits which usually means it's junk food. You can contact the manufacturer and ask for a complete list of ingredients. Pellets can be alfalfa, timothy, corn, wheat, oat, etc. based and can have a lot of ingredients that are carcinogens. The four recommended brands are KM Hayloft, Oxbow, Sweet Meadow and Mazuri 5664. The preservatives can also pose a danger to cavies.

In my country those are the only ones available and until I get to order some (looking into it) I am forced to use them. However, I would go for Versele-Laga Cavia Complete or Cavia Pro as they are only pellets and not mixes with seeds and other junk thrown in - the lesser of the two evils.

If you live in the U.S. or have shipping available in your country then there's nothing like Oxbow, KMS, etc.

But if you are forced to go with Versele-Laga then Cavia Pro is the best, then Cavia Complete. Cavia Crispy and Cavia Nature are just awful - both are unhealthy mixes containing seeds and other stuff bad for guinea pigs. More or less all of them are rubbish but we don't get anything else here so I have to get them until I sort out shipping stuff with Sweet Meadow Farms (which is the only brand that ships here)

You are being kind. Those pellets are CRAP......just look at the ingredients.

true, but you see the words I wanted to use would have gotten me in trouble...

You are being kind. Those pellets are CRAP......just look at the ingredients.

:weepy:

Yes. Crispy is horrible. They have it for bunnies too, and it's really bad. That's the one the pet-stores here feed so you can imagine how bad it is. Pro and Complete are not mixes but their ingredients list is still meh.

I'm stuck feeding Complete because they don't have Pro here until I arrange for shipping and stuff.

I can't find an ingredients list for their products.

What country are you in?

Hey bpatters

I couldn't find the ingredients list either that's why I was worried. I am from India BTW. :)

I tried to open the different links to see what the ingredients are and it doesn't tell you what it's specifically made of. The ingredients are what will tell you if a pellet is acceptable or not. I can see a lot of different colored bits which usually means it's junk food. You can contact the manufacturer and ask for a complete list of ingredients. Pellets can be alfalfa, timothy, corn, wheat, oat, etc. based and can have a lot of ingredients that are carcinogens. The four recommended brands are KM Hayloft, Oxbow, Sweet Meadow and Mazuri 5664. The preservatives can also pose a danger to cavies.

Hey Pinky
I stay in India and there is no way I would be able to get KM or Oxbow and if I have to import it's going to be very expensive

In my country those are the only ones available and until I get to order some (looking into it) I am forced to use them. However, I would go for Versele-Laga Cavia Complete or Cavia Pro as they are only pellets and not mixes with seeds and other junk thrown in - the lesser of the two evils.

If you live in the U.S. or have shipping available in your country then there's nothing like Oxbow, KMS, etc.

But if you are forced to go with Versele-Laga then Cavia Pro is the best, then Cavia Complete. Cavia Crispy and Cavia Nature are just awful - both are unhealthy mixes containing seeds and other stuff bad for guinea pigs. More or less all of them are rubbish but we don't get anything else here so I have to get them until I sort out shipping stuff with Sweet Meadow Farms (which is the only brand that ships here)

Hey Cavylier

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will have to see if I can get KM or sweet meadows shipped for me till then I might have to stick to "Cavia complete"

Too bad yall do not have Oxbow I find it to be the best for my little ones I also use Oxbow hay! They should get Oxbow available all over the world in my opinion!

Too bad yall do not have Oxbow I find it to be the best for my little ones I also use Oxbow hay! They should get Oxbow available all over the world in my opinion!

Hey Cavyloverr

It really is bad that Oxbow is not available worldwide. I even tried Sweetmeadow and a 4$ item comes to 57$ due to shipping which IMO is really expensive.

Woah that is a ridiculously high cost!!! :eek:hmy:

Hey Cavyloverr

I even tried Sweetmeadow and a 4$ item comes to 57$ due to shipping which IMO is really expensive.

If you choose to buy the 10lb packet of Guinea Pig Pellets, it is shipped via USPS at a flat rate. That comes to about 19 dollars for almost 5kg of pellets shipped to anywhere. You can freeze pellets for quite some time, I've heard. That's the one I'm looking into.

Oh and if you're looking into shipping hay or something, here's a little known secret - dub/durva grass at temples is actually bermuda grass so you can supplement the bad quality Versele-Laga hay with it for your piggies. :)

Contact KM to get a quote. I know they can ship pellets world wide.

If you choose to buy the 10lb packet of Guinea Pig Pellets, it is shipped via USPS at a flat rate. That comes to about 19 dollars for almost 5kg of pellets shipped to anywhere. You can freeze pellets for quite some time, I've heard. That's the one I'm looking into.

Hey Cavylier

Thank you so much. I didn't notice it this long :) I am ordering it right away :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.