Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Having a complete break down over surgery

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Little felix goes in for his hernia repair tomorrow morning. I've done all sorts of research and I think I'm prepaired enough to handle this. I'm building him a 1x1 cage that he will use at the vets, which will turn into a 1x2 for post op, until the incisions heal. I have a surplus of syringes on hand, vitamin c and I will be getting critical care tomorrow. I have lots of hay, his favourite veggies etc. I also have a probiotic we bought in the fridge. I have q tips incase the incision needs to be cleaned (?) but I don't know what solution to use.

Tomorrow I'm going to be finishing and painting the cage stand, we went and bought the wood today. However, my mom stresses out and gets irritated very easily. This of course is rubbing off on me, because she was annoyed about having to build this stand anyways. This is my goal for the week (among others) as set by my treatment team, to help control what happens tomorrow and to make sure I don't go completely off my rocker and then some. I know I will need to keep busy or else not so great things will happen, but it seems like my mom doesn't care.

I don't want to be so nervous about this, because I know Felix will sense it, and thats the last thing I want. I just cant calm down. I've never had surgery, neither has anyone in my family (although my brother had a hernia repaired when he was two, I was five so I don't remember). None of my pets have ever had surgery. I'm very comfortable with this vet, she has guinea pigs of her own and does neutering all the time. She has never done a hernia repair before, but seeing as it's very rare and similair to a neuter I didn't see anything wrong with that.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am very sorry that you're having a difficult time with this. I totally understand. I've been through quite a few pet surgeries and I freaked out with every single one. The most recent one was Penny getting spayed, and I cried pretty much every day up until her surgery. I kept myself busy by sewing new cuddle cups and cozy tunnels for my pigs. I think trying to keep busy is probably the best thing to do.
Worrying is a normal part of pet ownership. We never want anything bad to happen to our little friends, and we can't predict how a surgery will go. Just breathe! Everything will be OK! Try to think positive thoughts. Felix will do great, I know it!! Please keep us updated on how everything goes ❤️
Please post pictures of your cage stand once it's complete! :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
OH I will definitely post pictures of the stand ! I'm going to decorate it and make it very pretty ;) I just don't want anything to happen to him and it's very scary. I'm not sure if a 1x2 would be better to start with at the vets, so he has room for his cuddle cave and hay etc. I want him to be able to hide, as per the clinics suggestion. I will also be putting a lid on it with a clip to hold it closed. Just in case.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you are going through this, I was in pieces before my girl's spay this year.
Usually most vets will tell you to leave the incision alone for the first few days, but I like to keep it clean with diluted (with water) Clorhexidine (The one for skin use).

Clohexidine will dry the incision out, and you will need to replenish moisture to help the wound heal properly.
We often only focus on keeping wounds clean, when moisturized skin in reality heals much quicker, and scar tissue will be softer & less fragile.
Use clear pure aloe vera gel (At least 98%), without parabens/paraffin/silicones/added crap for moisture. Test behind the ear for allergies first.

Make sure you have pain medication on hand. I was promised pain medication, but didn't ask enough questions.
In reality they offered free injections there whenever needed, but nothing I could bring home over the weekend when they were closed. It luckily worked out well as she was only in pain the first 2 days after surgery & the injection lasted 24h. But without the pain medication, she wouldn't eat & was noticeably in distress.

We tried feeding her Critical care the evening of the surgery day, but she had enough energy to fight with all her being & I wasn't comfortable as enough strain could cause a hernia & opening of the stitches. Instead, what made her eat was freshly cut grass. Whenever I came at her with the Critical care syringe, she would hurry over to eat the grass, as if she understood what was happening. So do try & have fresh grass on hand, and different things to mix the CC with.

And ask them if they handfeed after surgery, as they often like to keep them a few hours for observation & not eating since before surgery is a bit too long.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I do have aloe. Can I get chlorohexidine over the counter? What should I look for? That information was very helpful. They aren't allergic to aloe, I use it on their feet when they get a little dry. It's just pure aloe. I'm terrified he isn't going to eat. I'm going in with a list, and the goal of making him as comfy as possible.

I am completely beside myself. I can only hope for the best. I also have pumpkin to mix with critical care, if he needs it.

Thank you so much for the added information about cleaning the wound. How soon after surgery should I clean it?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'll also weigh him daily, to make sure his weight remains consistent. OH and what about vitamin C? Should I be supplementing with that? How many mgs?

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
I'm sending positive thoughts your way. I'm sure everything will be fine. ((hugs))

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I do have aloe. Can I get chlorohexidine over the counter? What should I look for? That information was very helpful. They aren't allergic to aloe, I use it on their feet when they get a little dry. It's just pure aloe. I'm terrified he isn't going to eat. I'm going in with a list, and the goal of making him as comfy as possible.

I am completely beside myself. I can only hope for the best. I also have pumpkin to mix with critical care, if he needs it.

Thank you so much for the added information about cleaning the wound. How soon after surgery should I clean it?

You can get it over the counter, just ask for clorhexidine solution for wound cleaning. There is one for oral hygiene & a soap which isn't what you want. I started cleaning the wound the day after as keeping a 1x2 area clean, even with sweepings & 1-2 full cleanings a day still won't prevent them from laying in their own poop.

I supplement with 50-60 mg vit C after surgery, children's vitamin C tablets are easier to split approriately. Unless your pig enjoys Oxbow's tablets.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
My pigs won't take oxbow pellets. If he is eating though, I can make him a little 'treat' type thing, with his vitamin C in it. He'll take that easily. I do have a pill splitter, but I don't want to buy anymore tablets :p It's already an expensive surgery (700$).

I do want to keep it as clean as possible. How much will the solution cost?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@BedfordCavies Thank you. I'm trying to be positive for him more then anything.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Not the pellets, Oxbow makes a vitamin C tablet for guinea pigs which my girl loved. Though I don't know how easy they are to mix & syringe.

I'm currently not in the US, but here it's not expensive. I'm sure most solutions are appropriate if clorhexidine isn't available. Aloe Vera gel is also fine to use even if the incision isn't completely closed.
Try not to worry too much, healthy pigs usually handle surgery & anaesthesa well if done right. We now suspect my spayed girl has a genetic heart condition, yet she woke up from the anaesthesia faster than most pigs they've treated before.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I meant to say vitamin C tablet -.- Sorry! No, they love the pellets. They don't enjoy the vitamin C. I've tried crushing them and syringing them, with no luck.

pinky

Cavy Slave

Make sure the aloe you have hasn't been contaminated. My vet always said that anything that gets applied topically needs to be used carefully so it doesn't get contaminated. If it's aloe you've applied to your skin and there's a chance it's come in contact with dirty hands or germs, don't use it on him.

piggie4life

Cavy Slave
I hope ur piggie has a speedy recovery:) get well soon Felix

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's been contaminated, it's in a squeeze bottle. Sometimes I'll take a palm full and use it in my hair, or on a sunburn. That's about it.

@piggie4life , thank you so much. Your kind words mean a lot.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
My parents finished screwing together the cage stand tonight. It's beautiful. I thought it was going to be some ugly thing, but it looks really nice even unpainted. Tomorrow I have to fill the knot holes, and run a belt sander over it. Then it gets primed and painted :) I'm excited. Still very scared though. I'm going to need something to knock me out tonight. :silly:

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Good luck sleeping tonight! I know it can be rough waiting for a surgery (Lightning was neutered last month), but keep busy and think positive thoughts, you're doing everything you can for him right now and that's what's important!!

Just a thought, if he's going to the vet in a 1x1 cage tomorrow and his cuddle cave won't fit, maybe you could put a fleece forest in there (if you have the fleece to make it).

Wishing Felix a speedy recovery :) Wheeks from Cinnamon and Lightning

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I ended up making the 1x2, because the poor thing would be laying in his own poop at the vet. I wanted him to at least have a little bit of room to yanno, poop and sleep.

I'm going to the dollar store after we drop him off to get some last minute things for this cage stand. I just need to keep busy and hope for the best. I have fleece EVERYWHERE! I could definitely make a fleece forrest. I ended up coverering 3 sides of the cage and the top anyways, so he could be more protected. I also sip tied the heck out of it, and the lid has a clip to keep any doggies away.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Surprising, I feel asleep easily last night. I had izzy out for some bed cuddles, and she feel asleep. I put her back in her cage and then I feel asleep myself!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That's excellent news that you got some sleep last night!! I think it's a good idea that you decided to make a 1x2 cage for Felix. I will be waiting for an update on how everything went! :eek:ptimist:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.