Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Mice in my piggies cage!!!!

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
First off sorry if this is the wrong section to put this under, please feel free to move to the right location!!!

I keep a 4 cube cubby grid next to my cage to store food and other piggie stuff on and while pulling out some pee pads and some of my other stuff I noticed there was mice poop. I had vacuumed everything up as it was on the floor too but I realized while out in the living room two nights ago I heard it rustling on the floor.

I have just did a full cage cleaning and noticed that behind the litter pan there appeared to be what looked like mouse poop but it had already turned white.

Has anyone else had issues with mice getting in their house and into the piggies stuff or cage? How can I keep them out of the cage and everything else? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalliePigLover

Cavy Slave
First off sorry if this is the wrong section to put this under, please feel free to move to the right location!!!

I keep a 4 cube cubby grid next to my cage to store food and other piggie stuff on and while pulling out some pee pads and some of my other stuff I noticed there was mice poop. I had vacuumed everything up as it was on the floor too but I realized while out in the living room two nights ago I heard it rustling on the floor.

I have just did a full cage cleaning and noticed that behind the litter pan there appeared to be what looked like mouse poop but it had already turned white.

Has anyone else had issues with mice getting in their house and into the piggies stuff or cage? How can I keep them out of the cage and everything else? Any suggestions would be helpful!

I have mice living in my basement but my cats always take care of them for me.
Your options basically depend on whether you're comfortable with killing the mice or not..personally i would use some type of humane trap and then set them free far from your house.
I guess you could also use traditional mouse traps but personally i would feel really bad killing the mice.
I would refrain from using any type of poison though as it could harm your guinea pigs/other pets.
I'm not sure if this is good advice, but good luck!

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=38458]CalliePigLover[/MENTION] I was going to try to make it to the store soon to get some good humane traps as I can't bring myself to kill them but till I get over this stomach virus I can't do much [emoji20]

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
I had mice in one of my apartments and I saw them slip into the guinea pig cage once. Definitely not good because they can spread disease to them and you, and possibly hurt them. Definitely take care of it as soon as you can. I wasn't able to keep them out of the cage until they were gone completely.

Thanks so much! I will try to get to the store to get some traps tomorrow. Is there any specific ones that worked better for you? And where would be a good place to lay them at? My piggies cages is on a coffee table that is about 24" off the ground but keep half the cage with a blanket over it so I'm thinking its using that to help climb into the cage. Should I take the blanket off of them at night? I keep it on cuz of where they are under a window

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
https://www.facebook.com/thehappypa...817379347024/1367295006665916/?type=3&theater

scroll down the page to Jan 11th, Amey found a mouse in her skinny pig cage. It fits though considering she takes in all kinds of animals on the Happy Pants Ranch!

K thanks! I'll look into it. I just don't want a wild mouse to give my piggies any type of illnesses as I myself just came down with the stomach bug Wednesday so I'm trying to take it easy myself. But will definitely look into it.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
K thanks! I'll look into it. I just don't want a wild mouse to give my piggies any type of illnesses as I myself just came down with the stomach bug Wednesday so I'm trying to take it easy myself. But will definitely look into it.

That isn't advice, it was meant to be cute. When I saw this post it was the first thing I thought of. I think Amey made a house for the mouse.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.