Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Enlarged Nips

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I just discovered a few days ago while doing my weekly check ups (aka having cuddle time and checking each and every one of my piggies for lumps, cysts or any body abnormality) that my dear Lily seems to have enlarged nipples. What could possibly cause this? At first while taking them to get their nails clipped and groomed the lady we adopted her from mentioned it could be fungus related or a numerous amount of things. I read here on an old post about obtaining a triple anti biotic ointment that may work on the chance it may not be fungus but an infection. Lily did have some crust on her nipples and it seemed dangerous to clear it out as it was attached onto one of them (Meaning pulling it off would've pulled the skin off). I'd like to note that as of lately she has been acting very hormonal and wanting to mount a few. I've looked into the fact it may be related to ovarian cysts or it could simply be temporary but of course I don't want to assume it may be and let it get worse. Lily has been very active. She eats normally, drinks normally, poops normally, and has in fact been one of 4 of my piggies(I have 9 girls in total but 4 have never had problems) whom has never ever been sick or had ANY issue whatsoever. She's about 3 years old and has healthy weight. Before deciding to go to the vet has anyone had issues with their girls having enlarged nipples and it going away? Is it an infection?

Also, I meant to make a post on this earlier but working graveyard shift works wonders with sleep schedule >_<.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If I had to place a bet, I'd put my money on ovarian cysts. Don't use a triple antibiotic ointment -- she can lick the area, and they shouldn't ingest that stuff. And you'd probably see hair loss in the area if it were a fungus. In fact, I've never heard of a fungus only affecting the nipples.

I think your best bet is to see a vet for an ultrasound.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I'll see if I can get an appointment for monday. I know with ovarian cysts that also comes with hair loss but I haven't noticed that with Lily, or... at least haven't noticed it yet if its early.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hair loss is a common symptom, but it's not universal. And it doesn't always mean cysts. One of my sows had the classic cyst hair loss pattern, but no cysts. Vitamin C deficiency.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Since I don't want to make another thread I'd just like to post a follow up for you @bpatters. The vet determined after a physical exam there are no mammary tumors and he felt that her ovaries are small or felt small. He's had a long time of experience with spaying sows with ovarian cysts/cancer. He did give me the option of spaying her but because this came up in a "hormonal" way and since Lily hasn't ever had a history of being sick, and shes perfectly healthy (eating normally, running around, drinking water, poop stools are perfect, urine is clean) he ended up giving me some anti biotics but extra for my other sows since my senior has a small sneeze every once in awhile (but I don't freak out on because it simply may be caused by hay or a sneeze in general).

He did mention using lotion for her nipples because they are crusty and I'd like to know if lotions are safe to use. More or so a moisturizer. Are there any safe lotions to use? Also I'd like to ask what oil I can use for her feet. I recall a post way back but don't remember what thread it was in exactly.. but i remember you mentioning the use of extra virgin oil for the piggies feet to keep them soft and healthy. What oil would that be and where would I be able to obtain some? The vet wants to see her in a couple months but wants me to monitor if shes losing her coat in any way. So far, she doesn't look like she's losing any of her fur and her fur is healthy. Because I mentioned her becoming "hormonal" He said hopefully she'll just go through it and if not, he recommends spaying her. In the end I may choose to spay her but for now if I don't have to, then I don't want to. (I hope that's not as selfish as it sounds)

Last edited by a moderator:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You want cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. You can get it at most grocery stores and pharmacies -- I get mine at Trader Joe's. You can use it for both the nipples and the feet.

Honestly, under those circumstances, I wouldn't even give the antibiotic. She's showing no signs of infection, and that's all antibiotics are good for. I'd just keep a close eye on her and see what happens. But I would give her some extra vitamin C.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I've been looking around to find a variety of coconut oils but most stores either have cold pressed but not extra virgin or just simply extra virgin coconut oil. Is there a specific difference? Sorry about the late reply, and I'd like to clear up that the antibiotics aren't for Lily, they are for my senior piggy. I don't want to get the wrong oil if there IS a wrong choice.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is just my guess, based on something I read earlier but can't find now, and have no idea how reputable the source is. The cold pressing is more important than the degree of virginity. Heating it destroys some of the antifungal and antibacterial properties it has.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I will mention that I've never had a guinea pig with crusty nipples that did not have either ovarian cysts or another reproductive problem.

Also, I wouldn't wait until your guinea pig is starting to lose weight or hair to spay. The longer you wait the larger the cysts can be and the more difficult to remove.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Thank you @bpatters for the wonderful information. I ended up getting cold pressed coconut oil for Lily. Going to start on it tonight. And @foggycreekcavy I realize after reading much information on guinealynx and their forums and people with similar issues, I'm going to end up getting her spayed. I know with all surgery, including neutering/spaying it comes with risk. Lily is a healthy young piggy but I have faith. I wouldn't want to risk her health becoming altered or simply getting worse because of something I may feel that will go away. I'm going to call for another appointment tomorrow but first I need to clear up what crust she has. I'll post a picture when I can on her progress

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.