Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Is Daisy A Roan? And is Archie Dali or Roan?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
My lovely girl, Daisy, has a roan-ish look to her...

She is very pretty, but I'm unsure if she'd be classified as a roan? It's a little hard to see in the photos, but the tips of her fur are darker than the base.

Okay, so this is Archie. He was surrendered to me as a bubbie and I fell in love. Would he be considered roan or Dalmatian?
Also, does anyone have ANY idea what's with the crusty stuff around his eyes? He's had it since a baby and it's never seemed to affect him, but it's only on one side?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Now that I think about it, is it possible that Archie is a magpie?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Daisy looks like a plain broken cream. Archie is a roan. Dals are roans. They have just been bred so that little patches of their fur lack roan color. You can get all sorts of patterns and patches in roans that aren't bred closely to the dal and preferred roan show patterns.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@aqh88 Thanks, that makes sense :)

Last edited:

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
But does anyone know about the crust?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Looks like dried cleaning fluid to me. He may have a blocked tear duct. You can put a warm moist compress on it if you can get him to sit still, and you can very very VERY VERY gently massage it, just underneath the eyelid. That may open it up enough for things to drain properly.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Looks like dried cleaning fluid to me. He may have a blocked tear duct. You can put a warm moist compress on it if you can get him to sit still, and you can very very VERY VERY gently massage it, just underneath the eyelid. That may open it up enough for things to drain properly.
Cheers, will get right on it. :)

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Also I get the slightest sense I need to be 'very' gentle? ;) Lol

marykhaines

Cavy Gazer
If he sounds wheezy at all it can be an upper respiratory and needs to go to the vet but we have 4 piggies and they get crusty stuff sometimes too. Like bpatters said, may be a clogged duct too. Just a wanted to throw that out there. Good luck!! Both of your babies are adorable!!!!!

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
If he sounds wheezy at all it can be an upper respiratory and needs to go to the vet but we have 4 piggies and they get crusty stuff sometimes too. Like bpatters said, may be a clogged duct too. Just a wanted to throw that out there. Good luck!! Both of your babies are adorable!!!!!
Thanks, I've been gently using a warm washcloth to clear the gunk and massage the bottom eyelid as [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] suggested.
It still seems to be there, but other than that he is indeed completely healthy. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.