Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want to be a piggy mommy again!

hnh1211

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! What great info here :)
Have a question but wasnt sure where to post
I had a abysinnian piggy probably 8 years ago. My son has been asking for a guinea pig for quite some time now. So my husband and i decided thats what hell get for his birthday!! So as im brushing up on my piggy care info and working on getting cage supplies together to build..i am having a hard time finding an abysinnian guinea pig anywhere in our area. That is the breed i would prefer to stick with. Any ideas on what to do. Im not sure you can ship guinea pigs due to stress but never had this problem. The reputable lady we got our last ones from isnt around anymore so not sure where to turn! :( and id love to have a younger age to raise if possible. Please help as id love to make this happen for his birthday but refuse to go to pet store and just buy one.

Thank you all in advance and glad to be back in piggy mommy world :)

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
What area (state) are you in? There are rescues all over the U.S. and most of them will drive and meet you half way if they are too far away

also welcome!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where are you? City/state, not your address. We'll be happy to help you find a guinea pig at a rescue near you. Abbys are very common, and it shouldn't be hard to find one.

hnh1211

Cavy Gazer
I am near raleigh, nc area.
Ive searched online everyway i know how and have had no luck so any help would be awesome!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know if any of these are still open or not: https://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#NC.

You can also try at www.guineapigzone.com. Or this link: https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?location=raleigh,+nc&animal=smallFurry&breed=Guinea+Pig

Contact any rescues that are anywhere around you. They're usually just a group of foster homes, and may have a home much closer to you than the rescue address would indicate. Also, they're run by volunteers, and their listings may not be up to date.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
One quick question: It's really great that you're adopting, but are you only getting one pig? Guinea pigs do much better in pairs because they are social herd animals. Even if you give a single pig lots of attention, it will do much better with a friend. Just wanted you to take that into consideration. Good luck with your search!

hnh1211

Cavy Gazer
One quick question: It's really great that you're adopting, but are you only getting one pig? Guinea pigs do much better in pairs because they are social herd animals. Even if you give a single pig lots of attention, it will do much better with a friend. Just wanted you to take that into consideration. Good luck with your search!
No we are considering 2.we only had one before and she was fine but since ive done more research for pairs and has made me consider 2 :)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
No we are considering 2.we only had one before and she was fine but since ive done more research for pairs and has made me consider 2 :)
Ok awesome! That will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make. Your son will thank you, and so will the pigs! :)

hnh1211

Cavy Gazer
So ive looked on a couple of these sites and havent had any luck finding any near me. Is it safe to ship piggies? Ive seen quite a few that id love to have at our home but far away : (

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it is not safe to ship pigs.

Just be patient. Eventually there'll be a guinea pig out there for you. Are you checking Craigslist and Kijiji?

hnh1211

Cavy Gazer
Okay i didnt think it would be safe just wanted to ask to be safe. I actually just checked Craigslist and found a pair of males fairly close to me. So just out of curiosity are males temperaments any different from females? Ive only ever had females.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The big difference between males and females is that males need more room to keep from getting in each other's faces, and their private parts need regular checking and occasional cleaning. Then there's the boar stank, but that's not a constant thing, and some males don't produce much of it at all.

ahotchicken

Cavy Slave
I have 3 males and 2 females (separate cages, don't get excited). I will most likely never get males again! Mind you, I do love them, but they stink terrible! The smell is getting better since I've moved their cage upstairs and they can't see the girls though.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Hope you find your piggy companions
Keep us posted as to how your sertch is going...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.