Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How to get pigs to come up to cage?

Piggylover2002

Cavy Gazer
I just got my little piggies 3 days ago. They love me and I love them. They take food from my hand squeek and popcorn. But when they are in their cage they mostly stay in their igloo. How can I get them to come up to the cage to greet me or smell my hand.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Keep feeding them by hand. They'll eventually come to you. Just be patient.

Piggylover2002

Cavy Gazer
Ok Thanks For the info

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Yeah, don't expect them to run to you when you come into the room yet. You've only had them three days! Give them some time. I've had mine for several months, and one still doesn't run up to me.

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
The way I get one of mine to come out is I talk to her a LOT. I'll feed her hay through the bars, so now every time I'm around she comes and begs for hay :D

The other is a bit more tough to get out, I'm still working on her. Veggies almost always do the trick when she hears the other wheek in madness. Also I've found that when I had a pigloo, they wouldn't come out. I switched to sacks and they are more social and are like completely different pigs.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I've noticed the more igloo type things I put in the more they hide

Cavilicious

Cavy Slave
I've had mine for a year now, and one still doesn't run up to me. It took us about two weeks to a month to get them to come up like that. Just be patient. :) It's hard, but you'll get there eventually.

I've noticed the more igloo type things I put in the more they hide

While this may be true, don't take away hideboxes just to make them come out more; that'll just make them more stressed and end up making it take longer for them to bond with you.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@Cavilicious Oh I know that! @PiggyG said when there was igloos they would hide more, so she switched to sacks. I was agreeing about the igloo, and that is the only thing I removed. I still have other hideys: a log thing that is mostly destroyed, so I don't know if that counts; a plastic lid I fit over part of the cage for a shelf/hidey; and a hammock under the shelf so it's a 2-in-1 hiding spot.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You can also sit by it quietly and feed them pieces of hay, that worked really well for two of mine. They were little piggies and just thought they were getting great treats.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Mine I walk into the room and all 5 are standing up looking for a treat.3 of them I can stick just my finger through and pet thier noses .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.