Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior How will my boys react to a female in a different cage?

kirt15

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,

I currently have two 3 year old males living together and another 13 week old male living by himself as he didn't get along with my other 2. I was thinking about getting a female to go with the one by himself but I am unsure due to the set up I plant to have and the fact that one of my older boys is not neutered. The setup I plan to have is like the pic below. Will the fact that there will be a female above my other 2 boys be a problem and will she drive them nuts and want to try and get out to get to her? Also if the female is desexed will the boys still act the same as if she wasn't? I hope that all makes sense.
10341950_776860619021751_6963735841259163314_n.jpg

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Im not an expert on this topic so you might want someone elses opinion. The males will not go for her unless she is in heat but judging on the cage setup it seems hard for the males to get to the female since she is above them bu let me say this again im not very good on this topic so you might need someone elses opinion. And I might be wrong so correct me the pair of 2 males are live on the bottom and the lone male is living on the top? If so you might want to switch it around because a pair of males needs a 2 x 5 cage.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Im not for sure, but ive heard that two boys and one girl is hard. The boys fight over just the one girl.

I have two girls on a banquet table above the boys on the floor underneath. My two older boys who are about 1.5 years old pay no attention to the girls above. The little boy that is in with the big boys, he is 2.5 months old wheeks for the girls (one is mom), gets up on the pigloo and thinks he wants to jump out! Lol

Have you thought of a baby boy for the boy all alone or are you set on a girl? Is the boy that is alone neutered? Just from experience, I would leave the two boys together. For the boy that is alone maybe try and find a baby boy for him to live with, or a neutered female for him.

Good luck, its always so scary that they wont get along and then you have a lone one and worry about finding that one a friend and what if they don't get along! I know, been there, but good luck. Cool cage by the way

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb is neutered and Penny is spayed and he's always trying to mount her, not sure if it's from dominance? You can have one male with multiple females but not multiple males with a female. Unaltered males will do amazing feats of climbing to get to an unaltered female in heat. But they have to be able to smell that she's in heat. Your planned set up looks like the unaltered male wouldn't be able to get to the female.

kirt15

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies everyone! [MENTION=28396]daisy1cow[/MENTION] we have been thinking about getting a boy but I was just curious about getting a girl. My lone boy is quite dominant so we were thinking it might be easier with a girl but if we can find a submissive boy I would be extremely happy because I love my boys and I have only had boys before. It was a little bit frustrating that all 3 boys didn't get along but that's ok we will just find him a friend. He isn't neutered yet as he isn't old enough yet but he will be once he is big enough (he is a foster we r adopting so no choice on the neutering). [MENTION=31790]guineapigcraz27[/MENTION] that pic was just an example of the setup I want to have, my 2 boys r currently in a 2X5 and the lone male is across the room in a 2X3. When I do eventually build it the 2 pairs will each have their own 2X5. Thanks for the advice tho.

I will more than likely go with a boy it seems like it will be a whole lot less stressful for everyone and thanks for helping me decide! Now to find one!

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
See if you can find a baby boy somewhere. Im partial to boys as well and had a VERY dominant boy, he was quite young, put him with my 2 bigger bonded boys. All was good for intro's and moved him in. All well for about 2 weeks then all HECK broke loose. Fur, teeth, blood, it was terrible. He wanted to be boss and Waffles was having none of that. So I moved Finnley out, by himself and he got all said and depressed, wouldn't come out of his pigloo, never popcorned, he was sad. Found babies on craigslist and brought home McKinnley and they are the best of buddies have been together for almost a year.
just an idea, then no one has to be neutered and all that wait.
Good luck, let us know what you get, post pics :)

kirt15

Cavy Slave
@daisy1cow I had a similar experience I had an older bonded pair and I tried to introduce my young one who was around 9 weeks old and he was running after my dominant male (3 years old), leap flying at him, harassing him and all sorts. It was kinda comical in a way seeing this tiny white ball of fluff going after something that was more than twice his size, I couldn't believe it. I definitely hope i can find him someone like ur McKinnley. I will keep a constant lookout at the RSPCA to see if i can find him a friend and I will definitely post a pic as soon as I get him.

Thanks again for everyones help and support.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
LOL, sounds so familiar Kirt15!!

At 9 weeks they are right in the middle of adolescents so that may have been your problem, and he thought he was a big old boy and wanted to be the boss.

McKinnley was from an accidental oops litter of a friend of mine, so he was barely 3 weeks old when I got him! That I think was what helped.

Good luck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.