Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning bed sheets for easier cleaning?

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
I am going to expand the Wheekers 2x4 into a 3x5, and since my children are the ones who clean the cage I was thinking of ways to make it easier to clean when they won't be able to reach all the way across anymore. We use pine shavings because we couldn't make fleece work for use. So I was thinking I could use a simple cotton bed sheet as a liner in the bottom of the cage, and the kids could then just lift it out and empty it into the garbage. Should work well, right?

It might get stinky and soggy... But you could try it if you put down a good amount of shavings.

I've done that before and it gets gross and soggy. It's just too thin, and the shavings I assume would get stuck to the bottom of the blanket. You'd need to wash it at least daily if you really had to use that option, and that obviously isn't preferred by most people. Not to be nosy, but rather helpful, what was your problem with fleece? Can you do fleece flippers? Also, are your pine shavings kiln-dried? If not, you'll need to switch to kiln-dried or a safe bedding (no cedar). Fleece+U-Haul pads make miracles. I use Fleece Flippers (not bought, made, since the ones here are a little expensive) and just vaccum daily. A Kitchen added to it also helps. Good luck!

Could you use something like a plastic shower curtain? I've used them for mine in the past but they did chew on them and the wee stays in puddles and makes a mess so I just put a fleece blanket on top. The shower curtain would need to be replaced after a while but is easy to wipe down and you can stick it in the washing machine a few times too. If you're using something on top of it, it won't get too dirty as quickly. They're cheap and easy to replace as well. Not sure of anything else, sorry!

Is your cage on a stand? You could try this.

(broken link removed)

I like the shower curtain idea, I may just try that instead of a sheet! Pigglelove, I use safe shavings, no worries there. The problem I have with fleece, and maybe it's because they are boys, but their poops STINK. So when we were using fleece, they would instantly poop on the fleece the moment it was changed and it would be stinky. I can't spend my day sweeping up poop every time they let one go, since they seem to poop while eating, sleeping, drinking, playing, etc. With wood chips, the poop sort of mingles into the wood chips so it takes a day or two before it starts to smell. The cage sits on the floor, and I plan on altering the 2x4 to become a sort of upstairs level when I have the time.

Did you use U-Haul pads with it? It may have been the pee rather than the poo. Did you get the U-Haul and the fleece prepared (getting them to wick by washing them 3+ times) before using them? Just some assistance as I am quite short and a minor but I find fleece way easier to clean than regular bedding, so I'm sure it could help your kids too. The shower curtain sounds good, too. :)

Sounds like they were scent marking the cage.

I cut open large yard waste bags and line with those. I've been sick so I've temporarily switched from fleece to kiln dried pine with a layer of unscented recycled paper pellet cat bedding which is cheaper than small pet paper bedding. It works so well, I was able to go almost 2 weeks without changing it. The bags weren't even damp so I was able to lift out the bedding with the lining and roll it into a Hefty, right in the cage. I dumped the bedding outside as mulch and reused the liners one more time.

I like the shower curtain idea, I may just try that instead of a sheet!

Glad you like the idea! If you try it, I hope it works well. If you do, you might want to wash the shower curtain first or let it out in the air for a while first because they can smell a bit strong and the guinea pigs might not like that. Good luck :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.