Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Wasabi is Alone and Not Happy About It!

Cativision

Cavy Slave
My boar Wasabi does not have a buddy as he is the only male and unaltered,and I don't want any piggy babies! I am not interested in neutering him,since he will not be near the girls and put the poor dude through surgery that he only needs when ill. He has a store-bought cage,and I am currently working on getting the supplies for a C&C. I have a limit on how many pigs I can get,which is 3 pigs and 2 hamsters,so I cannot get one anytime soon. Since Wasabi has no friend right now,he is constantly chewing on the bars and it is starting to bother me. I feel so bad, I would love for him to have a friend,but I cannot get one at the time. He was an adoption pig,we got him from a friend that owns a rescue and took him off her hands. We didn't actually think about getting him a buddy at the time,and now I see the effects of it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why can't you get another one?

Cativision

Cavy Slave
Why can't you get another one?

I do not have the room for another one right now,but I am working on introducing the girls so I can put them together and move Sabi into her old cage. It is also a bit stressful on me to take care of so many animals, as I have 3 piggies,2 hamsters,6 fish,2 frogs,a bird and a dog,so I am not getting another pet and enjoying the ones I have now.I can get another guinea pig,I am just trying to limit myself on animals since I am a sucker for them.Maybe when I upgrade Sabi's cage I will get him a friend.

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
I feel like your only option is to neuter him but i know you don't approve... If you neuter him now you will avoid problems in the future. Neutered males and females can live very happily together... i'm not really sure how to help, sorry :/

Cativision

Cavy Slave
I feel like your only option is to neuter him but i know you don't approve... If you neuter him now you will avoid problems in the future. Neutered males and females can live very happily together... i'm not really sure how to help, sorry :/
I think I will just get another MidWest for him then adopt another pig to make him happy.I might get another pig when I have the money for the fee,but right now,I am thinking of expanding and upgrading everyone's cages.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
. nevermind. misread.

smfetter

Cavy Slave
I am introducing my 3 girls to my neutered male right now and it is going really well! I'm so excited that he can have a buddy again after his cage mate died 2.5 months ago! He was popcorning a little bit ago which I haven't seen him do in over a year!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is there a reason why you don't want to neuter him?
A midwest cage is quite small for 2 boars.

Cativision

Cavy Slave
Is there a reason why you don't want to neuter him?
A midwest cage is quite small for 2 boars.
Yeah,it is.I would make him a C&C cage,but I can't seem to find the materials anywhere.
I do not want to neuter him because when my mom was younger,she had a mouse that had surgery to remove a tumor and ended up dying from the anesthesia. I do not want Wasabi to end up with the same fate. Also,I don't find that putting him through surgery to just live with my sow is really worth it.I just don't find putting a rodent through anesthesia,surgery and recovering just to live with the opposite sex is really necessary. But my main reason is because I don't want him to die on the table,he has been one of the best piggies I've ever had!

smfetter

Cavy Slave
Yeah,it is.I would make him a C&C cage,but I can't seem to find the materials anywhere.
I do not want to neuter him because when my mom was younger,she had a mouse that had surgery to remove a tumor and ended up dying from the anesthesia. I do not want Wasabi to end up with the same fate. Also,I don't find that putting him through surgery to just live with my sow is really worth it.I just don't find putting a rodent through anesthesia,surgery and recovering just to live with the opposite sex is really necessary. But my main reason is because I don't want him to die on the table,he has been one of the best piggies I've ever had!

The only way a piggy would die is if they have an underlying illness or you go to an inexperienced vet. It is otherwise really uncommon. It is way better to get a piggy neutered and allow them to have a buddy than no buddy. Otherwise you will probably have to get a baby male because male to male intros if they are both adults can be very difficult. On top of that, a Midwest cage is really just asking for fighting if there are 2 boats in it.

smfetter

Cavy Slave
The only way a piggy would die is if they have an underlying illness or you go to an inexperienced vet. It is otherwise really uncommon. It is way better to get a piggy neutered and allow them to have a buddy than no buddy. Otherwise you will probably have to get a baby male because male to male intros if they are both adults can be very difficult. On top of that, a Midwest cage is really just asking for fighting if there are 2 boats in it.

*boars

Cativision

Cavy Slave
True,I never actually thought about that. I really want Sabi to have a buddy, he just keeps chewing the cage bars in boredom. I am still a bit on edge with the thought of Sabi getting neutered,so I maybe I should look into adopting a male piglet when I expand his cage,as he is in a cramped store-bought cage.

smfetter

Cavy Slave
True,I never actually thought about that. I really want Sabi to have a buddy, he just keeps chewing the cage bars in boredom. I am still a bit on edge with the thought of Sabi getting neutered,so I maybe I should look into adopting a male piglet when I expand his cage,as he is in a cramped store-bought cage.

Yeah! Good idea! It should ideally be as big as a 2x5 c&c cage! Good luck! Keep us updated!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.