Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Need Advice on Meds

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
I took my Rox to the vet today because he has been itchy, dropping hair (not in clumps nor is he balding) and wanted to see if he has a Fungal infection or whatnot. I've alreadyed given him a Mite/Lice treatment a week ago so I assumed it must be more since he was still itching but the Vet claimes he still has Lice?

- - - -

Went to vet, they told me he has Lice (what I thought was dandruff) and attempted to unload a bunch of stuff onto me. I want everyone's opinion on the Meds/Dip he gave me before I even put it on Mr Rox. Firstly, he wanted to give Rox an anti-itch injection (but I said no, was $40 and he already gave me a dip, ointment and by-mouth med). I was then given AllerG-3 (omega 3) and told to put it in his food or in his mouth and he says its for allergies. Then I was given a Puralube Ophth Ontment to put on him before the dip on the 'infected' area but I'm not sure what he meant by that since his whole body is itchy, and he also gave me the dip. Vetoquinol Lime Sulfur dip, which the bottle says its for dogs and cats only . . . ummm?

The vet wasn't to helpful, he lithely came in and picked up Rox, looked him over and then told me want he needed and didn't explain much plus his English wasn't very strong. The vet-tech girl doesn't work with Guineas, so she wasn't much help ether since she only knows what to do with dogs and cats.

Thoughts on what I was given, advice? Thank you so much.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm assuming this was NOT an exotic vet?

The AllerG-3 is a fish oil supplement which might help if his skin and coat are dry.

Do NOT use the lime sulfur dip. Guinea pigs groom themselves, and dips are not recommended. The instructions say for the handler to avoid contact with skin and eyes. What happens to the poor animal, I wonder.

The Puralube Ophth Ointment is an ophthalmic ointment for dry eyes. Can't see how that's going to help your pig's itching.

What treatment did you give a week ago? Brand, strength, and dosage, please. Parasite treatments usually have to be repeated every 7-10 days for at least three repetitions, sometimes more. And it's possible for the itching to get worse before it gets better. But usually that happens in the first day or so, and after a week, things are calming down.

Unless you see bugs moving on him, or you see lice nits stuck to his hair, I'd put my money on mites. They're invisible, burrow into the skin, and drive pigs nuts. Do NOT bathe him until you know whether or not that's the problem, because the water aggravates the mites and makes things worse.

Let me know what you used before, and then I'll give you some more information on possible treatments.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I used Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On for rabbits, guineas, ferrets and rats. I treated him twice already (once a month ago and again last week).

I was surprised too that he gave me a dip and plan to return it to him, so the Omega-3 is alright to give Rox? The vet office says he is an Exotic vet, since they treat Dogs, Cats, Bunnies, Rodents and Birds there.

The "dandruff" as tiny and almost rice shaped so maybe it is dead lice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Beaphar isn't strong enough to kill lice and mites, as far as I know. You could get either pour-on or injectable ivermectin in a stronger concentration, which should work better. If you decide to do that, post back and I'll point you to some other medications.

Rice-shaped "dandruff" is probably lice nits, but if that's the case, you should be able to see the live lice if you examine him very closely. Revolution will take care of it, but in this country you need a vet's prescription for that.

I don't think that the Omega-3 will probably hurt him, but don't know for sure. It almost certainly won't help, so I'd return that too if you haven't opened it.

And do look for another vet. There are several guinea pig rescues in Southern California that you could google, then call and ask which vet they use. There are many, many, many small animal (which means dog and cat, not exotic pets) vets who say they can treat exotics, but can't. They get little to no education in vet school for exotic care, many of the vet textbooks on exotic care are out of date, and unless they undergo an exotic residency or spend time educating themselves about exotic care, they really shouldn't be touching an exotic pet. If it were me, the only reason I'd return to the vet you went to is to get my money back for those products.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Thank you so much for all this information, I just returned everything to the Vet and informed them I will be looking elsewhere for treatment. I feel silly for ignoring a 1star review they had on yelp with a rabbit owner posted. I'm giving Rox some time to relax now since he was very upset about the whole trip. So glad I didn't let the vet-tech give him the dip there themselves (which is what the Vet wanted me to let them do). Later today or tomorrow I will give Rox a better look over for any visible Lice.

I have already ordered a Neem shampoo and melt from Gorgeous Guineas but I will hold off on using it. What other Meds would you recommend for Lice/Mites?

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc I returned everything and I'm so glad I asked on here before even using the products; but I will look into flax-seed oil if Rox ever gets dry skin. c:
Plus I agree, never taking him back there again.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's the GL link on lice: https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html.

If you can find the original Advantage (not Advantage II), it will work just fine. But it's off the market, and it's hard to come by. Another option is Revolution, which will require a vet visit since you're in the US. Here's the GL link: https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html#selamectin.

You can use ivermectin. Either of the two here would be easy to use. The first is manufactured by Durvet, and the second by KV Vet. The Durvet is probably cheaper.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
@bpatters

I'm going ahead and getting him some Ivermectin (horse paste) since I can get a tube for less then $3 with $7 shipping and the tube is good for 1250lbs of animal. plus it's apple flavored. Going to need to do some math for the dosage. Since Rox is only 2lbs and 12ozs I will need to measure this out with the Guinea Lynx recommendations.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
OK. But it is the hardest to use. When you get it, post a picture of the label and your calculations, and someone will check your math.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
OK. But it is the hardest to use. When you get it, post a picture of the label and your calculations, and someone will check your math.

Will do for sure, I'm going to order it tonight and it should be here within 2 weeks. ^-^

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
@bpatters

And it came in, so fast! Posting a photo soon, but here is the chart I was given by the Guinea Lynx page.
2lbgglt.jpg

MrRox is 2lbs and 12ozs, which makes him 2.75lbs which is 1247.36 grams.
Going to dilute the paste using the directions the Lynx page gives me. c:

The page I'm using - - -> https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_oral.html

dt.gif
For a 1200 gram guinea pig: 0.24 cc Diluted Ivermectin
dt.gif
For a 1300 gram guinea pig: 0.26 cc Diluted Ivermectin
Should I use 0.25cc for him?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sure. You can't measure the difference between .24 cc and .26 cc anyway.

Dilute with water -- don't worry about the propylene glycol.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
Sure. You can't measure the difference between .24 cc and .26 cc anyway.

Dilute with water -- don't worry about the propylene glycol.
Wow, that was easier to give then I thought, I just gave him some lettuce before and after and he didn't make a fuse. Good thing it was apple flavored. Haha!

Can I keep the 'diluted' mixture in the fridge til next week for his 2ed dose or would I need to remake a whole new batch?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think you need to make a new batch. It doesn't keep well after mixing.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
I think you need to make a new batch. It doesn't keep well after mixing.
Alrighty, thank you so much for the help. I'm currently waiting on my Gorgeous Guineas products I ordered and I hope they are here within the week. After his 2ed dose I plan to give him bath using their Neem Melt and Shampoo as well as clean his grease glad; then start using the new fleece I need to sew for his cage bedding. c:

Such a spoiled piggie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.