Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Will the pigs scent the dead mouse and go crazy?

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
Hi! I have 2 guinea pigs... and 2 ball pythons. The 2nd ball python I got this weekend, and she was eating live. But, she eats today and I'm gonna see if she'll take frozen thawed like my other one is taking :) A good way to do this though, is by pre-scenting the room. To do this you let the mouse thaw on top of her tank for about 4 hours so she can smell it, and so it's warm and she'll think it's alive. But my question is... that's like 4 hours of dead mouse smell in my room! I'll keep the door & window open, but will the guinea pigs be bothered by it? They're in my room, and it's quite small. Thank you!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just my two cents, but are the pigs AND the snakes in your room?

There's no way on earth I would have pigs and snakes in the same HOUSE, never mind room. The snake can smell the pigs, and vice versa. I would think your pigs would live in fear constantly.

That's just me, I'm not condemning you in anyway, to each their own, I guess. I wouldn't keep a dead anything near my pigs.

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
Just my two cents, but are the pigs AND the snakes in your room?

There's no way on earth I would have pigs and snakes in the same HOUSE, never mind room. The snake can smell the pigs, and vice versa. I would think your pigs would live in fear constantly.

That's just me, I'm not condemning you in anyway, to each their own, I guess. I wouldn't keep a dead anything near my pigs.
No offense, but that's pretty wrong believe it or not! I thought when getting my first snake, i'd never keep them in the same room. But they couldn't care less about each other :) I've had Geno (My first ball python) for about half a year. The pigs don't seem to mind! :) And, I feed Geno frozen thawed every Thursday, by thawing it in a ziplock bag, surrounded by hot water. Then I take in here and he gobbles it up! I just didn't know if the strong scent would bother them :p Thank you!

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
But I guess I could just move the pigs while I'm doing it..? I have a spare cage I could put them in in a different room while I'm doing it..

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I figured I would stand corrected, as I know nothing about snakes. I do know that people feed pigs to pythons, so that was where my logic came in.

Also, it's just a personal thing. As I said, not condemning you in any way. I wouldn't want anything dead near my pigs, for obvious reasons. Paranoid, maybe. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

ThePiggiePlace

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Yes, it's only huge python who could maybe eat a fat lil piggie.. But the biggest my two could eat is a small rat lol Anyway, thanks for responding so quick. I think I'll just put the pigs in their other cage for that time, and probably an hour after to let the smell clear out. That sound ok?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Anything that involves piggies being away from dead things sounds ok to me! :)

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure they do smell each other! Snakes smell warm or blood easy, since they are cold blooded. My sisters snakes always got pissy when I was near them because I eat meat and have a high iron count. They would attack the cage. Even when I owned a snake, it constantly bit me. Thankfully I do understand that it's an animal and I have to respect that. I gave it too my sister. Well, her. She then sold her because she's more cold blooded than the snake. She constantly kills her pets but enough about that. Just because you pigs are fine with their normal doesn't mean they are happy. They know those snakes are there and vice versa. So yeah, dead smell would bother them more. It's a bloody dead smell! Would you like that in your walls and think to yourself, I'll get over it? Or would you say, I will do something about it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.