Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay rack redo...

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, I was noticing that the guinea pigs were pulling all the hay out of the hayrack and it was getting wasted when I cleaned the litter box out and just dont like the idea of pee soaked hay....awful smell. anywhoo This is what I did and used old hay rack thing for a tunnel..... love guinea pigs and their stuff it is so versatile ... I dont like to waste he he he
Old hay rack Pictured on bottom. new camera 001.jpgNew hay rack new camera 009.jpg old hay rack used for new tunnel guinea pig tested and approved

Attachments

new camera 006.jpg new camera 003.jpg
Last edited:

KristiR

Cavy Slave
What a great idea. I have a wooden hayrack hanging on the side of my cage and Patrick pulls all the hay out of it and onto the floor. I go through the huge bag of Oxbow hay about every 3-4 weeks. LOL. When I first got him, I was hoping he'd go to the bathroom in a different area than where the hay rack was. But he doesn't. He goes right there and then pulls the hay out to "cover" it. I sweep it up everyday and wash the fleece every 4th day but man what a waste of all that hay!

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
What a great idea. I have a wooden hayrack hanging on the side of my cage and Patrick pulls all the hay out of it and onto the floor. I go through the huge bag of Oxbow hay about every 3-4 weeks. LOL. When I first got him, I was hoping he'd go to the bathroom in a different area than where the hay rack was. But he doesn't. He goes right there and then pulls the hay out to "cover" it. I sweep it up everyday and wash the fleece every 4th day but man what a waste of all that hay!

Mine do the same thing, so I put a cat litter pan under the hay rack with some yesterday's news kitty litter in it. I now can go a week without washing the fleece because the girls are peeing in the litter pan and I can change that out every few days.

boofp

Cavy Slave
Mine do the same thing, so I put a cat litter pan under the hay rack with some yesterday's news kitty litter in it. I now can go a week without washing the fleece because the girls are peeing in the litter pan and I can change that out every few days.

Glad to hear im not the only one with evil hay wasting piggies...lol I did not think you could use cat litter

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear im not the only one with evil hay wasting piggies...lol I did not think you could use cat litter

I found it listed in the bedding section as acceptable to use, Bedding, so I gave it a try and they seem to like it quite a bit.

KristiR

Cavy Slave
How do the pigs get in the litter pan? Did you cut the side? That's a great idea!

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
How do the pigs get in the litter pan? Did you cut the side? That's a great idea!

It is a low sided pan, so they just jump in. However, I am planning on putting a brick on the outside to use as a step, when I get the chance. litter box 1.png

boofp

Cavy Slave
If you were directing this question to me... they use the wooden bridge, to the grid platform and then jump in litter pan.... most time they just jump in even though I have provided the easy way.... hardheaded little stinkers do what they want just like they re arrange things lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.