Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Wheezing RIP.

VannahBearrr

Cavy Slave
Burrito had been doing much better. He had started breathing so heavy that he would rock. He wouldn't eat and he would just lay on you like he's too tired to move. But he moved when he needed to. I put a cold wet cloth on him and when I didn't have the cloth on him I had the fan on him. I also gave him extra vitamin C. He stopped breathing heavy after a week. He was doing so much better..and then he passed. I didn't have the money to bring him to the vet. Was there anything more I should've/could've done?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost him.

The only thing you could have done is to have taken him to the vet. He had a respiratory infection, which is very treatable. But cold cloths and fans are not the way to treat them. You need antibiotics and possibly other medications.

If you're going to have a pet, you need to have a fund set aside for vet expenses. You WILL need it at some point, and it is NOT fair to an animal to have it and not take it to a vet when it's ill. The pet depends on you for everything it needs, and that includes medical care as well as food and bedding. Please don't get another pet until you are financially able to take care of it, including vet visits and money for medicines.

VannahBearrr

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost him.

The only thing you could have done is to have taken him to the vet. He had a respiratory infection, which is very treatable. But cold cloths and fans are not the way to treat them. You need antibiotics and possibly other medications.

If you're going to have a pet, you need to have a fund set aside for vet expenses. You WILL need it at some point, and it is NOT fair to an animal to have it and not take it to a vet when it's ill. The pet depends on you for everything it needs, and that includes medical care as well as food and bedding. Please don't get another pet until you are financially able to take care of it, including vet visits and money for medicines.
I had money set aside for both of my pigs but I had a family emergency and ended up having to spend it. I didn't have enough money for a vet. And the one close by only treats dogs and cats. Nobody could bring me to another city for the pig. And by the time somebody freed up their schedule..he was doing better so they told me not to worry about it. I wish I could've gotten the medicine he needed..

joeyandrufus

Cavy Slave
I am really sorry! may his soul RIP

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.