Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Beni Beluga our new cuy boy

beluga

Cavy Gazer
We haven't had guinea pigs in a while, but when I was at Petsmart buying dog supplies, a pink-eyed white caught my attention. I handled him at the store and he was the calmest guinea pig I've ever held so I took him home.

As I'm doing some research on training, I came across a "giant guinea pig" post on a rescue site. Turns out, our guinea pig is actually a 'Cuy Mejorado' of the Aldina line -- a white guinea pig bred in Peru for meat so they are meatier, larger, less tame, prone to polydactylism, and have a shorter life expectancy. They also come in orange/white and beige patterns. Now that I think about it, he is much bigger at 6 months compared to the biggest adult boars I've had in the past.

We didn't want to take him back since we already fell in love with him and willing to accept the challenge, but we made sure to tell the store that they are unethically buying from breeders who are getting their stock from Peru probably because they are cheaper. Apparently, rescues have been seeing an influx of these guys because they're really hard to tame, they outgrow the largest cages, and are extremely skittish.

Despite his feral traits, I am determined to train him because he appears really curious, smart, and calm when held. He's already responding to his name and has such a character like flipping over his igloo when we're too busy to pay attention to him.

Here are some really useful links for cuy owners:

Cuy Info - https://weecompanions.org/-cuy--information
Cuy Training Guide - https://r.b5z.net/i/u/10116425/f/1-26-2015-Cuy_Training_Plan.pdf

Here is our cuy, Beni Beluga!

IMG_20151017_022739.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's interesting that he's all white. All the cuy we have seen before have been either all red, or red and white.

How much does he weigh?

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
From what I understand, all white is an "edible" color in Peru and surrounding countries. Some friends of mine went to Ecuador on a missions trip over the summer, and they brought back pictures of the cuy, both alive and cooked. Supposedly any pig with black or dark brown is unclean and won't be eaten.

lennier1

Cavy Slave
If he seems calm now I'd think there's a good chance he'll stay that way, especially if you're interacting with him a lot. Personalities definitely differ from animal to animal.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I have a white one, but she's only part cuy. Probably half.

Beni is pretty cute!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
What city was the Petsmart in?

beluga

Cavy Gazer
Here is a video of the white ones, which is Andina breed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzOZoDEHpg0

He also had a brother who was black-eyed and equally large if not slightly bigger and I wanted to take him too, but he wouldn't stop nibbling my hair and fingers...almost biting into my skin which is very very rare for a guinea pig to do so I didn't risk it.

Beni is slightly over 2 lbs. right now. Also Beni Beluga translates to "Son of Beluga" in Arabic hehe.

The Petsmart is in Tustin, CA.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
We had our first solid white cuy this year. If I remember right, he was 5+ pounds.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He must be very young if he's only two pounds. Cuy are usually 4-5 pounds.

beluga

Cavy Gazer
From what I understand, all white is an "edible" color in Peru and surrounding countries. Some friends of mine went to Ecuador on a missions trip over the summer, and they brought back pictures of the cuy, both alive and cooked. Supposedly any pig with black or dark brown is unclean and won't be eaten.

Those ones are sacrificed in rituals...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.