Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi everyone! I'm new here but need some help!!

melspees

Cavy Slave
We recently added to our many animal home and got our first Guinea Pig. My 2 1/2 year old named him Bunny lol We have him in a giant (overly tall then anything) cage that I got on clearance years back. We're going to be making him a c&c cage but we have a pesky dachshund who likes to sit & watch him. I've had tons of hamsters and she has never tried to go for them. BUT I still don't trust her with the hunting instincts. I'm having problems with figuring out how to get a secure lid on the cage. I want it wide enough because I still have yet to been able to hold him but he will come to me and lick my hands and chirps and popcorns around when I come to the cage. So I want to be able to get him easily and not stress him out since the actually "picking up" part I've read they don't like. Any suggestions? Tips? or even Advice on picking up him!! I've only held him in the store :sad:

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Check the photo section for ideas on lids and see what will work best for you. You can also use wire shelving instead of grids, there are examples in the photo section.

Closed Cages - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

I use two pieces of closet shelving for my lid. One piece is zip-tied down at the back and sides of the cage. The front piece is hinged to the back piece with carabiner clips so it can just be folded back.

With a small child and a dog in the house, make VERY sure you've got a lock on the cage that the child can't undo.

You'll also find it much easier to deal with him (and to keep the dog from aggravating him) if you put the cage on a table. Saves wear and tear on your back, and keeps the kid and dog out of the cage.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Welcome! If you don't have a table large enough you can use grids to make a stand. The good thing for the stand being you do not have to use the pig friendly grids because the pigs are not actually in contact with the stand. Some of my stand pieces have much larger spacing but since they aren't wallas of the cage they are fine.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@CritterSlave, that's what I did! I got Target grids without knowing that the grid spacing was too big, so I used the to make a base!

melspees

Cavy Slave
I'll have to see if my husband can build a table since the only table we have is where we eat. The cage hes currently in my dog can't reach, and my girls can't open. I still have a hard time opening it! But thanks for all the tips! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.