Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Serving size for 3 pigs, red bells and kale?

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
So i was wondering how much of a red bell pepper and kale is suffiencient for 3 pigs? I know kale can only be fed like 2 times a week. But i dont want this thing of kale to go bad cause i can only feed em so much

So i was wondering how much of each is ok?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
green bell pepper is better for guinea pigs because it has more vitamin C, and red peppers have a lot of sugar. Usually about 1/8 of a pepper is good for each, if I remember correctly. And I'm not sure about the kale; I don't use it.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
green bell pepper is better for guinea pigs because it has more vitamin C, and red peppers have a lot of sugar. Usually about 1/8 of a pepper is good for each, if I remember correctly. And I'm not sure about the kale; I don't use it.

green bells have less vitamin c than red bells. red bells have the most. Most mature color for bells

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not much kale. If you're worried about wasting it, I just wouldn't buy any more. Feed red or green leaf lettuce instead.

I feed about 1/4 of a small bell pepper per pig, no matter what the color. If the pepper is big, I give less than that.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Not much kale. If you're worried about wasting it, I just wouldn't buy any more. Feed red or green leaf lettuce instead.

I feed about 1/4 of a small bell pepper per pig, no matter what the color. If the pepper is big, I give less than that.

Ok coolio, so red lettuce has vitamin c right?

also on the pepper measurement, are we talking chopped, finely diced or chunky?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Ok coolio, so red lettuce has vitamin c right?

also on the pepper measurement, are we talking chopped, finely diced or chunky?

I don't think it matters how you cut it, just on the general size of the pepper.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can make kale chips for yourself, if you find you have kale left over! Nom nom nom.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
You can make kale chips for yourself, if you find you have kale left over! Nom nom nom.

ill send em to you then. Im not a veggie kinda person lol :p

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Haha! Oh well. Vegetables are your friends though. Friends that you eat.

Bell pepper can be fed in chunks or smaller pieces, as PeanutnCookie said. I prefer larger chunks, because I am lazy and find it easier to give the appropriate amount to each pig if it's a single serve kind of size (but I have 21 pigs, so, if you have fewer wheekers than that vegetable life might be easier for you).

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Haha! Oh well. Vegetables are your friends though. Friends that you eat.

Bell pepper can be fed in chunks or smaller pieces, as PeanutnCookie said. I prefer larger chunks, because I am lazy and find it easier to give the appropriate amount to each pig if it's a single serve kind of size (but I have 21 pigs, so, if you have fewer wheekers than that vegetable life might be easier for you).
21?! Holy cow! And I thought my hands were full with 3! Course I'm a pre college student living with my parents and paying bills so I don't have tons of money to keep more than three. I bet you have all different kinds of piggies and colors. I always love seeing the different variations of pigs, they are all just so unique! :)

I give green bell pepper chopped up into smaller pieces, and I give one piece per pig on the days I give pepper. I use at least six different kinds of vegetables in their menu, and I change it up every day, with red and green leaf lettuce being a staple, so I don't give it as often as others do.

Some other veggies you could look for at the store are radicchio (looks like red cabbage, but don't mix them up!) carrot tops, cilantro, parsley, zucchini, and cucumber. I also throw in cranberries, baby carrots, and cherry tomatoes now and then. They love them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I only chop vegetables into enough pieces to ensure that every pig gets a chance at some. I think that the larger the pieces, the less likely the pigs are to choke.

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I give my 3 girls 1/2 cup bell pepper a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.