Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners First time making a liner - any quilters out there?

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Tonight I'm going to start making my first U-Haul cage liner to go in the new upper level of my cage. My lower level has wood pellets with single layer of fleece on top. But I don't want to do that on the top level due to the weight and because I have a very short coroplast wall on the front (so we can see him better!).

Can I actually quilt through the U-Haul pad? Meaning, I basically was thinking of making a quilt that just lays flat in the cage and that means sewing through all three layers, not just around the edges but maybe in a wide striped pattern on the entire thing. Does sewing through the U-Haul make it so that urine could seep through that tiny hole caused by the sewing needle? If I were to sew it only around the edges, is it going to get all bunched up in the washing machine?

Does anyone use fleece & U-Haul liners that are just flat ones that lay on the bottom, no sides? I'm planning a flat one because my cage is wood and my coroplast goes all the way to the top of the walls. Any tips? I'm thinking that if I can quilt the three layers together (nice fleece on top, U-Haul, cheap fleece on back), it should be a little heavier and lay nicely without scrunching up. I'm just hoping my little guy Randy that lives up there isn't a burrower! (knock on wood). So far, he hasn't showed any inclination to burrow under the fleece on the lower level. Thanks!

WP_20151018_005.jpg

Randy : )
WP_20150921_003.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not a quilter, but make sure you've washed everything several times first, because both the fleece and the u-haul pads will shrink.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I sew through all of my fleece pads. They lay flat in the cage. I sew around the edges and sew some of them with multiple rows stitched parallel to the sides in both directions and have sewn others diagonally. I use a ball point needle which was recommended by someone at Joanne Fabrics. My fleece pads have fleece on each side and 1 layer of uhaul padding in the middle. When I have uhaul scraps, I sew them together to make a piece large enough for another fleece pad.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Ok, sounds like I should be good. Fleece has been washed 3 times and wicks. U-Haul is in the washer on hot for the second time. @pinky I was planning to make them how you described. Can't wait to have pretty fleece instead of those pesky aspen shavings!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Success! I'm SO happy with how this turned out! The U-Haul is almost like a thick heavy felt, so the pad lays nice and flat. I did quilt through it in diagonal lines 6 inches apart. Hoping that will keep it nice and flat after it goes through the wash. And I love the pattern! Who knew a cheap Walmart fleece throw could be so pretty?

Here is the upper level with the front flipped open (just for the picture!).
WP_20151024_002.jpg

Here are all my pigs enjoying some hay - Randy up top and Lucy and Snickers on bottom:
WP_20151023_010.jpg

GuineaBabes01

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.