Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ohio- Anyone willing to adopt some piglets?

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thanks you guys for the positive words. I am trying to hold it together. I try not to take every thing that I hear (or typed) to heart. This just really got to me. This thread makes me cry reading it. Words hurt, typed or spoken.

pinky

Cavy Slave
She wasn't attacking you, pinky... she felt attacked. Melissa123 asked nicely several times for support instead of criticism. I thought she handled it quite nicely.

It's ok to just apologize for hurting someone's feelings without trying to make them feel bad for reacting in a hurt manner. Especially when that person has shown a lot of restraint and repeatedly explained herself to people that, frankly, she doesn't have to explain herself to.

I think we tried our best to help her make sure she was making the right decision considering the emotional duress she seemed to be under. When you see someone making what you think is a mistake, it would be wrong to sit back and not say something. Whether our assessment was correct or not, we offered our opinions based on what she said; that she was grief stricken by the death of her guinea pig. She put that out there. We didn't ask.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
@pinky, you are way out of line. WAY out of line. You are repeatedly accusing her of not caring and being mentally unstable. Im glad you are such a know everything, never do anything wrong, better than everyone person. Someday you will be knocked off your high horse and I hope it hurts as much as youve hurt Melissa. You said your piece so why keep sticking your nasty little nose where it does not belong! You are not going to adopt one if her pigs so your opinions are not needed.

pinky

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION], you are way out of line. WAY out of line. You are repeatedly accusing her of not caring and being mentally unstable. Im glad you are such a know everything, never do anything wrong, better than everyone person. Someday you will be knocked off your high horse and I hope it hurts as much as youve hurt Melissa. You said your piece so why keep sticking your nasty little nose where it does not belong! You are not going to adopt one if her pigs so your opinions are not needed.

I never said she wasn't caring and was mentally unstable. Now, you're putting words in my mouth. I wasn't the only one who concerned that she sounded depressed, either. I have a relative who suffers from depression and when something disruptive happens, like the death of a pet, she often suffers a breakdown and makes decisions she regrets. I don't know Melissa's personal circumstances but SHE offered that she was struggling with grief. If that wasn't relevant, why did she even mention it? That's a moot point now. We suggested she seek professional help in case that was the case. I think that was actually excellent and compassionate advice. My hope was and is that her guinea pigs are well cared for. It's never easy for them being rehomed but sometimes those of us who are involved with rescues see that's just the way it is. I've now said my peace, not my "piece." I don't wish you or Melissa any bad wishes. What you're feeling in your heart and soul is your business, not mine, so no need to share it with me.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I agree. Major depression makes you do things that sometimes you come to regret, and it sucks if you can't go back and change your decision. I just spoke from my personal experience with my birds. Whatever she needs to do she will do. We are only concerned that it could make it worse afterwards rather than better especially since she said she loves the pigs up for adoption and is a good mom. I've said my peace too, and wish for the best.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I do want to add that people do things when they are grieving that they regret at a later date. I have no idea if Melissa123 will regret this decision, I don't know her or know what's going on in her mind. Also, the choices she makes are her's to live with, not mine. But, I would recommend talking with someone (counselor, religious leader, doctor, etc..) about the loss of your pigs. Even if you still think it's best to rehome your pigs, it can really help with the process of moving forward after loss.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I just want to add my two cents on the whole 'depression' side of this discussion. [MENTION=28225]aspecht[/MENTION], there's nothing wrong with being depressed, or mentally unstable. It's not an offensive comment to make. That's a stigma that people who do suffer with mental health issues, like myself, have to deal with on such a regular basis that it's very hard to see it being seen as such a terrible, negative thing on this site. So I just want to put it out there - if Melissa is depressed, or anything else, due to the loss of her guinea pigs - it's normal. And in a way, it's healthy. It's a way of processing the loss, which everyone is entitled to do in their own way. I can see that pretty much all posters on this thread are concerned that she may be rehoming her pigs during a stage of depression, instead of waiting until her head's a little more clear to do so. Even if that's the case, it's her choice to make, and she's clearly not doing it half heartedly. She's said she's going to screen potential adopters, so the pigs will go to loving homes, and she's keeping one pair that she can focus on.

If - and I truly mean 'if', I don't claim to know 100% what's going on - Melissa is depressed because of this loss - rehoming her pigs could be the best thing she could do for herself. Having so many little ones to care for, while you're trying to take care of yourself, can be very detrimental to your health and recovery. We've got to remember guys - just because this is a guinea pig forum - doesn't mean all the users and their wellbeing don't matter just as much as our pigs and theirs.

[MENTION=27623]Melissa123[/MENTION], I'm so sorry you've felt attacked on this thread, I really do think people were just trying to help, even if they went about it in ways which have upset you. I really do hope you feel better soon, and that you find excellent homes for your pigs.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
@Melissa123, maybe posting pictures would help re home your piggies? Im sorry for your loss, and hope for the best with you and your piggies.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I am not able to post pictures, not sure why. I did share a link, however that has pictures of them.

starusue

Cavy Slave
Pinky- you feel bad for my piggies? Why exactly is this - Because I care enough about them to know when it's time to rehome them to someone who can give them what they need? You are WAY out of line saying you feel sorry for my pigs. They will be placed in a new home with someone who can care for them properly.

Get over your high and mighty complex. I am only a human being, I do make mistakes, but this is not one of those mistakes.

Regardless of my animals- that really doesn't concern you or anyone else. I provide for all of my fur babies. I do not like rehoming, but it is needed right now for them and myself. Yes- myself (ps... I am important as well!!). I hate that I feel this way, but I honestly should not have to explain myself to any of you. I came to this forum to share my hurt and feelings and not a lot of people know it. Between you and Artisa bullying me into trying to keep my pigs, I don't know what to think of this site. You two single handily made me ball like a huge baby last night. I felt worthless. Luckily I have my amazing husband and great friends to cheer me up and built me back up.

Instead of beating someone down like this- build them up! It is bullies like you 2 that make me want to keep everything bottled up.

I don't understand why. People aren't offering to take your piggies in , at least the ones that live in Ohio. I wish I can adopt them. But I live so far.

starusue

Cavy Slave
I know you can ship animals of any kind. But that's expensive. I think.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I am waiting for the right home for them. I am not interested in shipping my babies. I want to see where they go.

starusue

Cavy Slave
I am waiting for the right home for them. I am not interested in shipping my babies. I want to see where they go.

That's good. Try posting on eBay as a pickup. That's what did when my dog had babies. Or cragist. I see many people do that. You can even take the guniea pigs to them and see where they are going to be.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I just want to add my two cents on the whole 'depression' side of this discussion. @aspecht , there's nothing wrong with being depressed, or mentally unstable. It's not an offensive comment to make. That's a stigma that people who do suffer with mental health issues, like myself, have to deal with on such a regular basis that it's very hard to see it being seen as such a terrible, negative thing on this site. So I just want to put it out there - if Melissa is depressed, or anything else, due to the loss of her guinea pigs - it's normal. And in a way, it's healthy. It's a way of processing the loss, which everyone is entitled to do in their own way. I can see that pretty much all posters on this thread are concerned that she may be rehoming her pigs during a stage of depression, instead of waiting until her head's a little more clear to do so. Even if that's the case, it's her choice to make, and she's clearly not doing it half heartedly. She's said she's going to screen potential adopters, so the pigs will go to loving homes, and she's keeping one pair that she can focus on.

If - and I truly mean 'if', I don't claim to know 100% what's going on - Melissa is depressed because of this loss - rehoming her pigs could be the best thing she could do for herself. Having so many little ones to care for, while you're trying to take care of yourself, can be very detrimental to your health and recovery. We've got to remember guys - just because this is a guinea pig forum - doesn't mean all the users and their wellbeing don't matter just as much as our pigs and theirs.

@Melissa123 , I'm so sorry you've felt attacked on this thread, I really do think people were just trying to help, even if they went about it in ways which have upset you. I really do hope you feel better soon, and that you find excellent homes for your pigs.

I never said there was anything wrong with being depressed. I suffer from OCD, anxiety, depression, and PTSD so I'm well aware of the stigma's surrounding mental illness. I'm saying that it is not ok to sit there and think you have the right to say she's mentally unstable. Plain and simple. I know Melissa, and am friends with her.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
If you're aware of the stigma's, why do you think it's so offensive to be called mentally unstable? Furthermore, no one said that. People asked if she was suffering from depression following two deaths, which wouldn't be an unreasonable reaction to that. You're acting as if it's a massive insult to be called mentally unstable, when it shouldn't be. It's been turned in to an insult because people hear that phrase, and cringe, instead of standing up and pointing out that it's not an insult, it's a state of being. My mum suffers from extreme psychosis among other things, which is clinical mental instability. She's never once taken that as a negative, just a state of being that she wants to work to get out of. Depression isn't mental instability, it's depression, or as some psychologists call it, emotional instability, which again, is a perfectly normal reaction to death. You put the words 'mentally unstable' in to someones mouth, the words being used by other users where 'possible depression' and 'grieving'.

I understand that she's your friend and it's natural to be defensive when you see your friend being hurt, but you also have to respect that people who are third party to this may see things you can't, as someone so close to the situation.

I'm sorry for turning this in to a mental health discussion instead of what it originally was - but it was something that touched me on a personal level and I had to speak up.

Threepigsnacuy

Cavy Slave
This is the way I see it. Mellisa started this thread to help find loving homes for her guinea pigs who she obviously loves a lot. I don't care who is mentally stable and who is not, this thread is about guinea pigs. Mellisa asked us to help her find homes for guinea pigs, and that's what we should be doing, as the main goal of forums is to help. It is her decision, and I don't think any of us have the right to make judgements as we are not in her shoes. She has just experienced a huge loss and needs support and kind words, not judgements and arguments. We should post suggestions and helpful things, but nothing more. If you want to discuss mental health, feel free to discuss that in the mature chat or cafe. For now, let's help Melissa. :)

-Melissa-I am so sorry that you are being attacked. You are doing what you know is right for your piggies, which is hard, and I applaud you for that. I am sorry about your pigs that passed, may they popcorn at rainbow bridge. I am again sorry that you have found yourself in this situation where you need to rehome your pigs. I don't have much advice, but sending ((((hugs))))

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I understand that she's your friend and it's natural to be defensive when you see your friend being hurt, but you also have to respect that people who are third party to this may see things you can't, as someone so close to the situation.

I'm sorry for turning this in to a mental health discussion instead of what it originally was - but it was something that touched me on a personal level and I had to speak up.

Enough already. This thread was started to possibly help my pigs get adopted into a new home. Not for a mental health talk. I assure you that [MENTION=28225]aspecht[/MENTION] knows fully of what is going on in my mind, much more than any of you know. Which is why she is standing up for me.
I thank you for trying to get me to see your way, however it's not needed. I assure you I am of sound mind to make this tough decision all on my own. Regardless of what you all think, I truly am. Please, no more "mental health" crap on my thread. Tired of it! I posted this to help get my piglets adopted out.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Ok.. good luck!

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
I know you can ship animals of any kind. But that's expensive. I think.

You should never ever ship an animal. The only time shipping an animal would be acceptable (in my opinion) would be if your moving from the country and have no possible way of driving them. My mom and dad had to do this with their 4 dogs when they moved from Ireland to New York in August and it went well but survival rate isn't good for the animals. They had to watch them be loaded to be sure they were being put in a climate controlled area. It was a hassle, but if it can be avoided, it MUST be avoided. It's just not worth the stress put on the animal and the other dangers to them is terrible. Plus...how would you feel being put into a container in a dark, loud, scary place for hours on end, sitting in your own feces, urine and tipped over food?

[MENTION=27623]Melissa123[/MENTION], you did put a link...I missed it. They are very cute and know they will find loving homes!

starusue

Cavy Slave
You should never ever so an animal. The only time shipping an animal would acceptable (in my opinion) would be if your moving from the country and no possible way of driving them. My mom and dad had to do this with their 4 dogs when they moved from Ireland to New York in August and it went well but survival rate isn't good for the animals. They had to watch them be loaded to be sure they were being put in a climate controlled area. It wad a hassle, but if it can be avoided, it MUST be avoided. It's just not worth the stress put on the animal and the other dangers to them is terrible. Plus... How would you feel being put into a container in a dark, loud, scary place for hours on end, sitting in your own feces, urine and topped over food?

[MENTION=27623]Melissa123[/MENTION], you did put a link...I missed it. They are very cute and know they will find loving homes.

Interesting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.