Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Guinea's Teeth and Stomach Issues

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a male that suffered from bloat. I gave him baby simethicone following the instruction on guinealynx and I could actually hear the gas bubbles popping in his stomach. I have no doubt it saved his life. It's very effective if you give half the pediatic dose twice a day. Gently massage their stomach afterwards. It's not harmful and it works;

I never said it was harmful. Just relaying what both of my vets say about this med. I've used it before with no results. Each case of bloat is different and location is the key.

Guinea will not let me massage his stomach either. He is in pain and will bite every time I try.

My vet put him on a different pain med now to see if that makes him more comfortable. His stomach still has the hard lump. She told me if this doesnt get better in a few days we may need to think of letting him go. She isn't comfortable (me either) with a stomach surgery to remove the pieces and clear the blockage. He's just too weak to be able to handle that..
Heartbroken :'(

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Oh Melissa!! How sad. We're here if you need anything. :)

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I have already said this but I am so sorry honey. Guinea is your boy and I sure hope he gets better soon so no drastic measures have to be taken. Thoughts and prayers are with you!!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Weird. Some members say it isn't effective for anything other than small bubbles, but that's great it worked for you. :)
@melissa:
Hoping for the best. Know we're rooting for them!

It's not harmful and it's not expensive so it's worth trying it. Unless xrays are taken that show the size of the bubbles, how would anyone even know what size they are? Large or small bubbles... I'd still try it to offer relief. I read about it on guinealynx and I trust what they say more than most vets. My guinea pig was really ill. I thought we'd lose him. He didn't care for the massages but I was gentle and the combination of both did the trick.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I never said it was harmful. Just relaying what both of my vets say about this med. I've used it before with no results. Each case of bloat is different and location is the key.

Guinea will not let me massage his stomach either. He is in pain and will bite every time I try.

My vet put him on a different pain med now to see if that makes him more comfortable. His stomach still has the hard lump. She told me if this doesnt get better in a few days we may need to think of letting him go. She isn't comfortable (me either) with a stomach surgery to remove the pieces and clear the blockage. He's just too weak to be able to handle that..
Heartbroken :'(

I'd still give the simethicone a try. You can read about it on guinealynx. It certainly won't hurt him and if you're considering euthanizing him, it's worth a try.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I'd still give the simethicone a try. You can read about it on guinealynx. It certainly won't hurt him and if you're considering euthanizing him, it's worth a try.

Trust me- I have been using everything possible to save his life. He's been on it for 3 days now. Nothing.

Add- he will not let me rub his belly....... I'm using the pillow for that, like i've already stated.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Poor baby. :(
Can you try getting him to move. I read that can help relieve gas bubbles.
Just hold a treat a bit away from him?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Wrap him in a towel so he can't bite. Raise his back end up more than his front end. You should be able to massage him without getting bit. What dose of simethicone are you giving him? You can do three doses an hour apart.

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
@Melissa123: I'm so sorry to hear about Guinea! Have you tried using massaging his stomach with an electric tooth brush wrapped in some fleece? I know you said his stomach is very sensitive right now but that's something you could couple with the massage pad if he's willing to tolerate it.

I also read that olive oil helps pigs with gas/motility issues. Not sure if you've tried it yet, but here's a thread (within the linked thread) about it's usefulness. https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/...start=20&sid=6e1f35340e144c0d290ab6b56c5dff8a. Also, have you looked into using charcoal? Not too familiar with its applications in bloated guinea pigs (as I havent had time to look into it), but Ive heard owners mention it in treating bloated pigs so its another option.

I can tell this is very difficult right now for you, but keep your spirits up! As long as he is eating/pooping and you continue to shower him with care, love and positive vibes I'm sure he'll pull through! :)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, oil!!
That got Mindy ROLLING!! Literally, minutes after, I could hear her bubbles popping.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's also good to check to see if he might be impacted. When Rigatoni developed bloat, I used a Qtip dipped in mineral oil to clean him and when he started going, he just kept going. I think the cleaning unplugged him.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@pinky , I have been checking for impaction daily. He has nothing there, sadly. I wish it was that easy with him. The blockage is way up there. I was actually able to massage his belly tonight after the new pain meds kicked in. I felt a ton of gurgling. The lump is very hard and bit larger than it was before. He has another (3rd) x-ray along with more Sub-Q fluids at the vet tomorrow morning at 9am.

The gas med is given 3 times a day at 0.2 ml each dose.

@alphilip77 , yeah, I've been using a vibrating pillow for him. He tolerates that pretty well. I haven't used the oil, but I will try it out for sure!

He is eating, but only what I'm force feeding him. He doesn't touch his pellets or hay. He will eat a very small amount of his greens but that's it. As far as him pooping, it is no were near what it should be even though I am getting enough food into him. I only see small, miss shaped ones and not that often.

@GuineaPigster , he will not walk around and will just hide in a corner. Even in his cage he rarely moves. He doesn't even run when I pick him up. Just lets out this god awful raspy, painful cry.

Again, thank you all for the advice. I am doing everything I can to help my baby boy but I just have this horrible gut feeling that he will not pull through this. I hate this feeling I have right now and just feel so helpless with him.... I will NOT give up on him, but I will also not allow him to go through any unneeded suffering just for my selfish need to keep him here with me.

Last edited:

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
I feel really horrible right now. I felt that exact way when Mindy got really sick.
Please know that I care about Guinea SO MUCH, and that my thoughts are with you and him.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sending positive thoughts your way, @Melissa123. I've had a few guinea pigs that had issues that couldn't be resolved. I hope something works out for your little guy.....

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys... After seeing today's x-rays we have decided to end his suffering. He will go to the rainbow bridge tomorrow at 9am. In the meantime, they gave me a very strong pain med to make him comfortable tonight. I will be cuddling him as much as I can.

So sad that is has come to this. :'(

xray1.jpgxray2.jpgxray.jpg

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
So sorry. He will be greatly missed and I don't think he could have had a better mama there taking care of him in his great time of need

pinky

Cavy Slave
Melissa, I'm really sorry. I think you're doing the humane thing for him, as hard as it is to do. My thoughts and prayers are with you.....

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry that you are going through this. The greatest gift any owner can give to their pet is to let them go peacefully when they are suffering or in pain. You are a very caring, loving, thoughtful person to put his well-being first. He'll always be with you in spirit and you will without a doubt see him again. It'll be okay Melissa. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
You have taken amazing care of him, and the fact you are ending his suffering is an amazing example of that. It takes real strength to be able to let someone you love so strongly go. I wish you a great night together.
I know many pigs will be welcoming him when he arrives.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Thank you all. :(

Here is a video of us cuddling.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.