Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting What do you think? Cages side by side or across the room with new friends to bond?

emttami

Cavy Slave
Long story short... I have a happy trio that live together & two more seperate.
I had to seperate two of my boars & they have been living in seperate cages for several months now.
I have all my cages connected & right next to each other so all can visit with one another(nose to nose)as they seem to like this. More so with my trio than with one another. I am about to adopt two additional baby guinea's & hope to put one in each with the boars I seperated. My question: Should I have their cages apart from each other(but in same room) so that each set of two can bond with one another or should I leave them all close? What do you guys think???

emttami

Cavy Slave
SO NO~ONE has any suggestions on this??? Come on Cavy Slaves..what do you guys think???
any suggestions at all???

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I would say go with what has worked so far and see what happens.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If the two new ones are bonded or from the same litter, I would not separate them. I'd try to place them in either cage. If that doesn't work. I'd keep them in a separate cage together. You don't want to separate a pair that gets along.

emttami

Cavy Slave
If the two new ones are bonded or from the same litter, I would not separate them. I'd try to place them in either cage. If that doesn't work. I'd keep them in a separate cage together. You don't want to separate a pair that gets along.

@pinky - yes, absolutely-that is my plan. The (2) newbies are babies but not bonded or from the same litter. so here is my wander. I have a HUGE C&C cage I built. (It makes an "L" shape) on my side wall I have (3) my happy trio that have been together forever & on my back wall I have the (2) that I had to seperate but put a divider in the middle of that cage. Both of these boys LOVE to be near my trio (more so than each other-if this makes any sense) I know that cavies are social animals. I am planning to add an addition to the other side to complete the "L" for more space when I get the (2) newbies. I just wander.. does it alter the attitude of Guinea pigs (even thogh they are in the same cage but right next up against another cage of pigs)
trying to bond with a new one while being around the other one's. Does this even make any sense??? (lol) should I just leave it that way or put them in an area away from my trio ? will they bond either way???

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I have my cages in a u-shape with everyone connected, I honestly don't think it has effected anything. I had a little bar nibbling so I put up some plexi and now they just ignore each other. The occasional talking. haha

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't think it makes any difference. You might have more bar biting if they're attached but separated by grids. What I'd do with the babies is, if they're being taken right from their mothers to your home, I'd skip the quarantine and introduce them to the males. If your males won't fight one another, I'd bring the two males and two babies out together in a large open area to quickly see if there are any preferences as to which seem to gravitate towards one another. If so, divide the pairs that way. If there's immediate posturing, I'd separate them and wait a day or two to try individual pairs separately. At our rescue, we've always used a tiny dab of vanilla on the bridge or their nose and rumps to mask their scent. I've been doing this for about 12 years with success. Someone on here once said it was not recommended but I have never seen a guinea pig lick the vanilla and they can't lick it off themselves. They sniff and look confused. It keeps things calmer.

emttami

Cavy Slave
@pinky That is a GREAT idea!! Thanks Pinky!!! I had been thinking about how I was going to pair the matches up. one more question for you. I have (2) peruvians & they seem to get along fantastically!! (from day one-different litters) I am starting to think that it is b/c they are the same kind. I know that different breeds can be paired(as it is all the time) but do you think its b/c they are same breed or just the temperment of the two. My coronet had to be seperated twice already from a peruvian & then an abby. I'm just wandering if maybe putting him with same breed would help any??

pinky

Cavy Slave
@pinky That is a GREAT idea!! Thanks Pinky!!! I had been thinking about how I was going to pair the matches up. one more question for you. I have (2) peruvians & they seem to get along fantastically!! (from day one-different litters) I am starting to think that it is b/c they are the same kind. I know that different breeds can be paired(as it is all the time) but do you think its b/c they are same breed or just the temperment of the two. My coronet had to be seperated twice already from a peruvian & then an abby. I'm just wandering if maybe putting him with same breed would help any??

It has nothing to do with breeds. Some of my most bonded pairs were different breeds. My most bonded male pairs were a teddy and crested paired together and a rough haired American paired with a teddy mix. I also had a Peruvian and silkie pair, teddy and American. I had a female teddy that I was unable to find a suitable companion for. She was the most dominant and aggressive guinea pig I ever had. She even attacked a neutered male.

lissie

Cavy Slave
What are the final sizes of each cage once you separate them?

Last edited:

emttami

Cavy Slave
What are the final sizes of each cage once you separate them?
@lissie They are all 4x12 maybe even a bit larger
I have a picture in my photo's under "my boys" it will revert back to that when I get my newbies.
I will have (3) in one cage, (2) in one cage, & (2) in another - all same size cages looped around to make a "U"

lissie

Cavy Slave
I meant each cage after separation. So 4x4 + 4x4 + 4x4?

Edit to add:
I just looked in your gallery. Didn't see any 4 grid deep cages, but your cage is huge. Plenty of space to add more pigs.

Last edited:

emttami

Cavy Slave
I meant each cage after separation. So 4x4 + 4x4 + 4x4?

Edit to add:
I just looked in your gallery. Didn't see any 4 grid deep cages, but your cage is huge. Plenty of space to add more pigs.
@lissie ~I'm not quite sure on exact size but it is huge...(lol) my boys are spoiled. I used a full piece & a half of coroplast on each cage
I have (3) cages- each of that size all connected. one other question(off topic) How did you get your avatar to show multiple pictures. I love that!!

lissie

Cavy Slave
How did you get your avatar to show multiple pictures. I love that!!

Thanks. It's an animated gif. Only Cavy Stars, Cavy Champions and Mods can have animated avatars.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.