Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
It does, doesn't it. I looks very nice. I am not sure if you have seen it but Walmart also has a pink leopard print too, for their $2.88 small throws.

Actually, this leopard is also the $2.88 Walmart throws. You cannot beat the price! I only needed two to make my full set (I used some old mismatched fleece for the backs).

kaemarie

Cavy Gazer
IMG_1403 (1).jpg
Here's our 2x5 with a wide loft for our three girls (who are hiding under the loft)! They are loving their new Piggy Bedspread and Fleece Flippers! :)

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I can't tell you how much stuff I've made them out of cardboard! A millions different hay racks, hidey houses, now a kitchen.

What do you to stick the cardboard together? I don’t want to use tape in case my pigs chew it, so what do you use?

I LOVE your cage by the way!! And I hope you are eventually able to get your pigs to get along so they can all share the space :)

Also, how are you finding the grid hayrack? Does it stop the hay falling out? I currently use a fabric hay bag, and it seems like half of the hay just slides out the holes and gets pooped and peed on.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
What do you to stick the cardboard together? I don’t want to use tape in case my pigs chew it, so what do you use?

I LOVE your cage by the way!! And I hope you are eventually able to get your pigs to get along so they can all share the space :)

Also, how are you finding the grid hayrack? Does it stop the hay falling out? I currently use a fabric hay bag, and it seems like half of the hay just slides out the holes and gets pooped and peed on.

I use zip ties. I just poke holes in the cardboard near any corners and run the zip ties through. I tried duct tape and packing tape (bad bad, I know), but they would always come loose.

I like the grid hayrack because it holds a lot (I made it kind of fat on purpose). But the small bits definitely fall out the bottom. That's the one of the reasons I added the kitchen box, to keep those bits off the fleece. My girls will not eat the small bits. However, I found a new use for them - I put them in my boy Randy's litter pan (yesterday's news first, then hay bits). He eats some of them and pees on the rest. He seems to like it! Oddly, he will not really use the litter pan if it doesn't have a little layer of hay bits (I read that about someone else's pig in another post somewhere and decided to try it).

And thanks for the cage compliment! I do love it, although it kind of turned in to a bigger monstrosity than I had envisioned...

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
We changed the girls set up a bit, It's gonna expand again soon too (hopefully in the next week or so, but definitely by the end of the year)

They have fleece and towel cage liners, drip pads for the 2 eating areas, and pee pads for their 2 houses. There's 2 hay racks, water bottles, and ramekin/bowls. We use the bowls for pellets in the morning, and veggies in the late afternoon. We also took a TP roll, stuffed it w/ hay, and put it in the lid of an egg carton to try to keep the hay a bit contained. And the blue and white blanket is hanging over so they can burrow (which Peanut loves to do). And they have a couple toys as well (which they usually aren't interested in)

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1448682236107.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448682693413.jpg

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I got the new cage built today. It's 2x3 with a 1x2 kitchen. The girls love it.

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1448787024999.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448787141242.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448787164713.jpg

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Finally got the second level worked out, just needs a few adjustments to the ramp

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
My computer won't let me post photos, but I FINALLY expanded my 3 piggies cage to a 3x4 c&c with a 1x4 loft :D THEY LOVE IT! Running laps, wheeking, and popcorning all day till they drop and snooze and start all over again :D
I'm working on getting a second ramp for the loft made next so they can run laps up the ramp, through the loft, and down the other ramp! I'm calling it the piggy palace now xD

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
My computer won't let me post photos, but I FINALLY expanded my 3 piggies cage to a 3x4 c&c with a 1x4 loft :D THEY LOVE IT! Running laps, wheeking, and popcorning all day till they drop and snooze and start all over again :D
I'm working on getting a second ramp for the loft made next so they can run laps up the ramp, through the loft, and down the other ramp! I'm calling it the piggy palace now xD
That sounds awesome!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
That sounds awesome!

I wish my laptop would behave so I could show photos, but it hates me and won't let me :(
they are loving it though!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
FINALLY! My computer is finally letting me upload photos! Here is Sigyn, Ikarus, and Freya's castle! 3x4 c&c with a 1x4 loft :3
IMG_0387.jpg IMG_0379.jpg

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I just redid the girls kitchen area, it's now made from the tray for the store bought cage we had originally (before we knew better) and we have 2 bendy bridges acting as ramps for them to get up and down (they're the medium size, so they're wide). The girls seem to enjoy it, and this will be a lot easier to clean out than the coroplast kitchen we had before.

(Also, I don't usually feed veg in the kitchen as the bedding/litter sticks to it, but I was wanting to teach that that's where their food/hay/water is. Now they are going up and down just fine)

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1450917587472.jpg
Last edited:

kemmm

Cavy Slave
I just finished putting my boys' cage together today, so I am more than happy to spam photos of the new setup.
IMG_1493.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1496.jpg

ch377yb

Cavy Slave
Is the You and Me Run and Play available in the UK do you know?

Brookielizz

Cavy Slave
cage.jpg Sorry the picture is sideways. I'm not sure how to fix that. The inner cage part is 18sq ft. Then I have the outter part of the cage and I am not sure how much room that adds. I currently have four girls and they love doing zoomies in this huge cage! :)

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
So I just added a "patio" to my 2 x 4 (for two girls) and although we are all enjoying it, I have decided that amount of space is hard to do much fun with. I knew I didn't want to try to clean under very much so that is why I never considered going bigger. So my next goal is to instead make a 2 x 2 loft that is "offset", an idea I saw on here and wish I had seen before I added the patio, would have saved me money hahaha. So 1 grid will be over the main cage and one grid will be hanging over.

Anyway here is the new set up for now. Feel like I could use one more hidey but I haven't come up with what I want yet. I feel like I can't do anything to "obstruct" that small loft or I'll have dominance issues on my hands. They share the tunnel on the main level fine, I think because it has so many exit holes, that they don't mind sharing.

Also a pic of my 5 year old helping with the major clean (every 4-6 weeks we scoop out all the wood pellets and start fresh). Although I have wood pellets throughout, I still keep a separate "kitchen" area and that I change out or mostly change out weekly. The rest of the cage can last awhile.

Oh, and I couldn't wait any longer to take a pic (added the patio/ramp after black friday sale) but in about another week I will have one more framed art hanging above the cage...a pic of the two girls together. :)

new cage 2.jpgnew cage.jpgcheyanne loft.jpgahmy cleaning.jpg

Natalie Boyle

Cavy Slave
I know this is a thread for showing off cages - and I'm in almost done building a new half cage half stand for my 3 boys - but I just have a few questions.

Their current cage is a 2X6 cage with a 2X3 loft kitchen but it is unstable and takes up too much space in my room, which is why am making a new one.
Here is a quick mockup I did of what the cage looks like right now because I don't have any photos saved on my computer yet.
cage mockup.jpg
The whole cage is made of MDF wood and is up on wheels to make moving it around easier (the wood is going to be painted tomorrow or the day after to match my room). The patterned area is linoleum peel-and-stick tiles to make the inside waterproof. The pigs will be in that tiled area that will be covered in fleece and U-Haul blankets (I want to use wood pellets but for now U-Haul blankets work just fine. The storage area under the cage is around 26 inches high (high enough to stack storage bins, up to 8 total) and the sides where the tiles are is around 6-7 inches high.

My questions are:

1. Are the 6-7 inch high sides high enough that my guinea pigs can't climb out if I do not have the grid walls up?

2. The tiled area is equal to a 2 by 5 C&C cage. Is that enough for 3 guinea pig boys or should I add on a second level?

3. This is a combination of the first two questions: If I do make a second level and I don't want to have to use too many grid pieces (just enough to stabilize the floor) how high should the sides of the second level be so that I do not have to worry about any of my guinea pigs jumping/climbing over the sides and hurting themselves?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
6 inches is the bare minimum for adult piggies, but very active piggies, young piggies and pregnant piggies need at least 8-10 inches. I recommend getting some plexiglass and cutting 3-4 inch strips and securing the strips to the top of the wood, as not to hamper the look. Very nice btw!

Natalie Boyle

Cavy Slave
Thanks. My boys aren't super active. Gus - the youngest - will jump over a food bowl is he is having a run-around but other than that...

I would like to do that but my parents are already mad at me for spending so much money on my guinea pigs (piggies that are over 4 years old right now) that they don't want me to do anymore "unnecessary" spending on them for at least another few months. That's why I mentioned putting up grid walls along the inside of the tiled area (since I already have them might at well use them).
I originally wanted to build a two leveled cage entirely out of wood and plexiglass but my parents were all like "plexiglass is too expensive" or "plexiglass cannot be cut to order" and "don't spend anymore money on a bunch of over-sized hamsters" and stupid crap like that. If I was living on my own (can't financially support myself right now) then I would have built the cage how I wanted it, although the cage itself is set up in a way that I can add things onto it later.

Maybe I'll put plexiglass walls along the top a few months from now, but for now I'm just going with what I have.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
Thanks. My boys aren't super active. Gus - the youngest - will jump over a food bowl is he is having a run-around but other than that...

I would like to do that but my parents are already mad at me for spending so much money on my guinea pigs (piggies that are over 4 years old right now) that they don't want me to do anymore "unnecessary" spending on them for at least another few months. That's why I mentioned putting up grid walls along the inside of the tiled area (since I already have them might at well use them).
I originally wanted to build a two leveled cage entirely out of wood and plexiglass but my parents were all like "plexiglass is too expensive" or "plexiglass cannot be cut to order" and "don't spend anymore money on a bunch of over-sized hamsters" and stupid crap like that. If I was living on my own (can't financially support myself right now) then I would have built the cage how I wanted it, although the cage itself is set up in a way that I can add things onto it later.

Maybe I'll put plexiglass walls along the top a few months from now, but for now I'm just going with what I have.
I don't think 6 inches is tall enough. I had a playpen with 9inch walls and one of my girls climbed out and she was 4 or 5 months old. I wouldn't do any less than 14in walls, but grids are the best for air circulation reasons.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.