Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance My guinea pigs are rumbling A LOT

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs have been rumbling A LOT in the past few days. I've had my 2 female guinea pigs for about 3 weeks now, and they've rumbled, but I don't think they've fought yet. I'm actually not 100% percent sure who is rumbling, but I think it's mostly Cupcake, who is larger (and most likely older) than my other female piggie, Eclipse. Also, most of the time they are rumbling in their hidey (it's sorta hard to see whats going on in there), but the one who runs out is most often Eclipse.

I'm wondering if rumbling is common in guinea pigs, even if they've been together for a long time. Also if (and when) I should consider separating them. And what I can do to stop them from rumbling.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't stop them, and you shouldn't separate them unless there's bloodshed. Nipping doesn't count. Rumbling is totally common and natural.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Ok so then I shouldn't be worrying too much.

Stefbjjnev

Cavy Slave
Nope. My two rumble all the time. They've been together over a year. Eat together sleep spots are what causes most of the rumbles. Do you have space for a 2nd hidey

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Yep, all perfectly natural, but you should have more than one hidey, preferably with 2 exits, so one piggy can't trap the other inside. Congratulations �� on your new piggies too ��

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Ditto @lisa325 try to include more tunnels and/or hideys with two entrance/exits. Also make sure their cage is nice and big; don't clutter it too much. Only one of my boys rumble struts, the 4 years younger one, actuallylol My other pig doesn't care, just sort of ignores him. But it's perfectly normal to rumble strut.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I have 2 hideys, and also a tunnel a made from an old egg carton (just prop it up against the bars of a c&c cage, it works really well!). I was watching them today and my less dominant piggie sometimes doesn't seem to understand what the rumbling means and just sniffs my other pig's ear. It was funny to watch. But luckily, they were both lying down in a hidey a few minutes later. Thanks for the help everyone! I was actually EXTREMELY worried.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.