Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Long Time Piggie lover looking to adopt again

boopy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

My name is boopy, I'm 23, and I grew up with piggies. I'm currently looking to adopt again but, while my family's setup for our piggies worked 10 years ago, we live in a different house now and I suspect they'll be spending more time in their cage compared to when I was a kid (we literally had the cage open so long as one person was home and we didn't have stairs, so the piggies literally had the entire house to roam around. Don't worry, it was piggy proofed). I'm looking into getting one of the extra large deluxe cages from the website, but I'm going to change some things so there's a door with ramps so they can wander around when I am here and stuff (I go to school from morning to noon, and then I do homework, so they'll have time with me. Plus my mom will probably come and keep them company, too, when I'm at school during the day). I'm planning on adopting two guinea pigs from a local shelter that recently picked up over 200 of them from a hoarder :sad: or alternatively from a rescue, which I know some of the piggies are going to anyway.

I'm interested in talking about DIY toys and stuff on a budget, as I am a broke college student and my parents are going to be helping me in regards to food, healthcare, and piggy proofing the upstairs. I'm really looking forward to being able to feed my piggies home grown treats (we have our own veggie garden where we grow tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, and parsley among other things). I'm always open to advice. My mom is really good with piggies, and used to work at a vet that also loved guinea pigs and my mom was the go-to "piggy nurse" so my guinea pigs are coming into a good home, but as the primary caregiver now, I'm looking for ways to keep them entertained, make them feel loves and comfy, and how to give them a long life.

I'm also open to advice on bedding. I can't afford the fleece panels, which look nice, so I need to find an inexpensive, environmentally friendly, clean bedding I can use. I know I'm going to be cleaning it out every few days.

If you want to know more about me, personally, I am studying psychology and looking to work with autistic adults (esp. women) as I, myself, am also autistic :) I also have three dogs (all of whom have been around small animals before) and I really like video games!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
High five to a fellow autistic piggy lover :)

Long-term as an investment, fleece is actually pretty cheap compared to most other bedding. It costs a bit to start, but you can wash it instead of buying new bedding nearly as often.

If that's not an option though, kiln-dried pine is good- look for the kind that horse people use in their stalls. As long as there's no piney smell, it's safe for piggies.

As long as they have each other and a big cage, they'll be plenty entertained, to be honest, but they always seem to enjoy new and interesting ways to eat their veggies. A pig with a relaxed temperament I'm sure would also love to relax and sit in your lap while you do your homework.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boopy

Cavy Slave
High five to a fellow autistic piggy lover :)

Long-term as an investment, fleece is actually pretty cheap compared to most other bedding. It costs a bit to start, but you can wash it instead of buying new bedding nearly as often.

If that's not an option though, kiln-dried pine is good- look for the kind that horse people use in their stalls. As long as there's no piney smell, it's safe for piggies.

As long as they have each other and a big cage, they'll be plenty entertained, to be honest, but they always seem to enjoy new and interesting ways to eat their veggies. A pig with a relaxed temperament I'm sure would also love to relax and sit in your lap while you do your homework.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay! So I'm not the only one :)

Yeah, I think I might save up for it, but my mom didn't seem too keen on the idea. I figured I'd eventually get fleece for half of the cage and then the part under the loft and the loft itself would have wood chips. We have a lot of farms and know a lot of horse people in the area so I'll definitely look for that.

I'm actually looking for really cuddly piggies. We've had several that loved to climb on the bed (we had a ramp because one of our dogs had back problems) and would snuggle up beside you while you watched TV. They always liked us sitting on the floor with them too. One of ours, Lindsey, who thought she was a dog, would climb in your lap and force you to pet her lol :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.