Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Rescue Pigs Pregnancy Journey

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It's been a while since I've posted on the forum, but thought this would be a great place to log our current journey and hopefully have it be educational and accessible to others in the future.

I'm back with two new rescue girls from Kijiji. I saw this ad on Kijiji last weekend and messaged the poster inquiring why they were being rehomed and for any pictures.

Screenshot_20210330-162250_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210326-182525_Kijiji.jpg

It was personal reasons the pigs were being rehomed and all seemed well. The poster didn't ask me any questions about my care or anything, we just arranged a time for me to pick them up. No mention on any exposure or access to males.

On pick-up day I didn't get a chance to hold/inspect them before loading them up and leaving. Due to covid we met outside the posters apartment, which wasn't located in the safest part of the city. Plus they were brought outside not in a carrier or box, just in their hands and were very skittish. I just wanted them safely in my carrier.

When I got home and unloaded them I instantly noted that the one had a bigger belly. I confirmed their gender first thing and gave them a basic health check and weigh in. That's when I became very suspicious. The one wasn't massive by any means, but over 100 grams heavier than her sister and noticeably bulbous. I couldn't immediately palpate babies and didn't feel movement, so I was hoping she was just chunky.

IMG_20210405_093251_214.jpg

However, it's a week later and I'm 99.9% sure she is expecting. Today was the first day I felt belly movement that I'm confident wasn't just regular digestion and she is looking much more round.

So welcome to my pregnancy watch/baby journey. Both pigs are affectionately named Baby A and Baby B right now while I work on more permanent names. I'm sure Baby A is expecting and Baby B is under pregnancy watch. I'm planning on logging their progress here to keep it all organized.

Here are the beautiful little ones!

IMG_5238.jpg

When I brought them home on March 30th, Baby A weighed 552 grams, while Baby B was 426 grams. Today on April 5th, Baby A was 611 grams and Baby B was 482 grams. Here is what they look like today. The belly is extremely noticeable on Baby A.

inCollage_20210405_144354176.jpg

Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for these little ones. I am concerned just because they are so young and also because they are roan. I have no information on what coluring the father could be, so I'm on alert that there may be lethal white babies here.

I'm very thankful they ended up here though. They will be cared for properly from now on and for the rest of their lives. It's scary to think they could have been given to just anyone. This certainly wasn't a planned situation, but I am at least able to prepare properly to deal little ones or complications.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Awwwwww, adorable. Thank you for taking these girls in, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION]. One thing I know for sure.

They will have the best life with you that they possibly can.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Cute piggies!!

:)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Fingers crossed that either by some stroke of luck dad was not a roan, or you get very lucky and even if both parents were roan you don't hit the 25% odds of a lethal white.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION] lethal whites are my biggest concern in all of this. I'm mainly concerned that dad is likely a brother or their father that was not separated properly, so there's a high likelihood it's a roan/roan pairing. I'm doing my best to not worry about it right now though because there is nothing I can do.

I just want everyone to be happy, healthy and safe. After a nearly a decade of pig ownership this is my first time with a pregnant pig/s. I'm way too anxious and impatient for this lol.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes I agree it is probably most likely the father may possibly be the brother or father of the pregnant girl, but there is still a chance he might not have been roan in that case.

A roan x roan mating still has a 25% chance of throwing a non roan pup, the same odds of that same pairing throwing a lethal pup, and there is no guarantee these girls came from a roan x roan mating. If their parents were a roan x non roan there is a 50% chance a brother may not have been roan.

However any odds of a possible lethal pups are bad odds, so this is probably a prepare for the worst but hope for the best situation.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I pray everything will go well for the mom and the babies. Please say no lethal whites. Good luck on this journey.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
A very heartwarming story! I have some names for your babies: Cookies and Cream, Reese and Peanut, Chocolate and Chip. Good luck with the pregnancy!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
So the girls have been home for almost two weeks now. Unfortunately both girls are definitely pregnant.

Baby A, now named Ramona is farther along in her pregnancy than her sister. She has a VERY full belly , I want to say at least 3-4 babies. I can feel lots of fetal movement when I hold my fingers on her sides. I'm estimating that she is around 7 weeks along.

IMG_20210409_125900_445.jpg

20210409_171012.jpg

Baby B, now named Betty has a much smaller belly, but today was the first day I felt definite fetal movement. She's much smaller and easier to palpate. I'm thinking she only has one, possibly two pups in there.

Screenshot_20210402-205948_Instagram.jpg

20210409_170718.jpg

Thankfully both girls are doing well. They have great appetites and are very active. So far all is going well with them. Plexiglass baby proofing went up in their C&C today and I'm making sure I have all necessary supplies to do supplemental feeding if required. Both girls have a wellness vet appointment next week, just to give them a quick check over and to get them in the system.

And now it's just a waiting game. I'm doing all I can and just continuing to hope that all goes smoothly and we have no lethal white babies.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They are such adorable little ladies, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION] . Fingers crossed that everything goes very well and all the little ones get through it happy and healthy.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Still patiently waiting for babies over here. Both girls continue to do well, they're active and eating up a storm. They're still quite skittish and will hide any time I come in the room, but they're getting better. I'm keeping handling to a minimum right now though, just to reduce stress or chance of injury.

I believe Ramona is getting very close to having her babies. She is extremely round, I can see kicks and I can feel distinctive body parts through her. Betty is a couple weeks behind her, but is becoming more round. For reference, Ramona weighed 552 grams on March 30th. Today she weighs 822 grams. Betty weighed 426 grams on March 30th. Today she weighs 689 grams.

The waiting is killing me!

inCollage_20210421_163502817.jpg

inCollage_20210421_163208964.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
WOW, Ramona is a big girl! They are so adorable!

We're all on baby watch!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Baby day finally arrived and it is very bittersweet. Ramona did an absolutely amazing job, she delivered quickly, with no issues and bounced back right away. She delivered 3 wonderful little babies. All are active and alert. The sad part is we do have one lethal white. Currently he is doing well, but only time will tell how he is able to manage.

I had been checking Ramona often for the past few days. Her pelvic bones had been separated for 6 days, so I knew baby time was getting close. At 4:45pm I went into the pig room to grab their veggie containers for dinner and I found her just finishing giving birth the the first baby. I was then able to observe her birthing the remaining 2 pups. She was completely done by 5:03pm.

She was amazing. Very attentive and cleaned everyone up well. All evening she's been right with them and seems to be adjusting to her little brood. She was very excited for evening veggies though, which were about 3 hours late!

The babies are gorgeous. They must be some kind of mixed breed, because they all have very wavy fur. I'm fairly confident we have 2 boys and a girl.

Here's the first boy, Ronald.

IMG_5288.jpg

The girl, Beverley.

IMG_5291.jpg

And the little lethal boy, Augustus.

IMG_5274.jpg

Augustus is most definitely blind and deaf. He has eyes, both are small, but the one is much smaller than the other. He doesn't have any incisors, so I imagine eating is going to be problematic. He'll have a vet appointment shortly to check out his molar situation. I feel so incredibly bad for him, but I'm trying to remain optimistic and hopeful. He of course is going to have a very different life, but I'll be doing what I can to make him comfortable and just see how he does. As long as he is comfortable, I'll do what I can for him.

I'm so frustrated and upset at their previous owner who allowed this to happen, especially when it's so easily preventable. However I am grateful they somehow ended up here and not with some random person who wouldn't know what to do. Now I am also extra concerned for Betty, because she clearly has a chance for lethal whites as well.

I'm doing my best to enjoy them though, this is my first baby experience and I just want them all to be happy and healthy. Here's a couple more photos of the family.

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Happy to hear about the safe delivery, hopefully Betty also has a smooth delivery.

From experience I can tell you those are baby teddy/rex coated guinea pigs. As the mother is a smooth coat their fur might not be quite as coarse as if both parent were that coat type but they will be very puffy.

Best wishes for the baby lethal, hopefully his teeth situation isn't as bad as it first seems.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pups, as they all are! I'm happy for the safe delivery, but sorry about the lethal baby. Do keep us posted on how he gets along.

Fingers crossed for no lethals for Betty.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Adorable little ones, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION]. I'm glad all went well and mom and pups are safe. Augustus is adorable but unfortunate about his being a lethal white.

If I know one thing, its that he couldn't be in better hands.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys! I will certainly keep you all updated on his progress and Betty as we get closer to her delivering her babies.

He made it through the night and is very strong, he certainly has some spunk in him. He's toddling about and wheeks after his mom whenever she leaves him. He nurses well, but I am supplementing him with a bit of handfeeding to make sure he's getting enough nutrients. His siblings have already started trying out regular foods, which he hasn't yet, but he is only a day old.

I'm incredibly fortunate that a local rescue is sponsoring him, he will technically be like a long term foster, but all his medical expenses will be covered by the rescue, which was a lovely and surprising gesture.

I'm so hopeful that he can pull through, he's already stolen my heart.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new family! I hope everything continues to go well. It's so nice to have the rescue sponsoring little Augustus, and great for everyone that you are taking such good care of them!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
A little update on everyone here.

Mama and babies continue to do well. The two normal babies are so active. They are constantly popcorning about and are eating very well. Both are gaining weight and doing awesome. Ramona is the perfect mother. She's so attentive with them and she has done well with everything.

Betty is also doing well. She's continuing to grow her babies and is eating up a storm. I'm estimating that she has around 2 weeks left, just based on when I first felt movement and the feel of her compared to Ramona.

And then there's Gus. He has an amazing spirit and is trying so hard. He nurses, but not enough, so I'm supplementing him with hand feeding about every 4 hours. He eats his mixture well and is growing. Unfortunately, I haven't had much success in getting him to eat any normal foods. I've tried gently leading very short and fine strands of hay into his mouth, most of which just come right back out. Same with very thinly sliced veggies.

I'm trying to not let that discourage me though. He is still tiny and has growing to do. He takes syringe feeding super well and I'm anticipating it will take considerable time figuring out what works best for him. He is interested in regular food, so I hope overtime we will be able to work things out for him.

IMG_5367.jpg

inCollage_20210504_142759748.jpg

IMG_5431.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They are all just so adorable!
[MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION] , I ran across this story several years ago, chronicling the life of a lethal white. I just thought I would drop it in here for you to see, if you haven't already. Fairy was a very inspirational piggie!

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.