Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Friar Tuck's medical thread

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc Yay! I'll definitely try them. So just plain, natural, non instant oatmeal oats are the ones to use?

And as for cage mates, Friar Tuck is a lone piggy. Both he and my other pig, Robin Hood, are rescues. Friar Tuck was a lone pig before I got him, and Robin Hood is rather aggressive with other guinea pigs, but through the bars of their seperate cages they're best friends...they have side by side bachelor pads :)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
So just plain, natural, non instant oatmeal oats are the ones to use?

Just any brand of plain rolled oats. No quick cooking oats or instant oatmeal.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Friar Tuck is still doing so good!!! He's continuing to gain weight, making for a total weight gain of 60g the last five days. He's eating hay, corn husks, lettuce, cilantro,watermelon, orange slices, corn... he's such a happy piggy again. We've even been able to cut back the critcal care feedings from 4 to 3 times a day :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Friar Tuck is still doing so good!!! He's continuing to gain weight, making for a total weight gain of 60g the last five days. He's eating hay, corn husks, lettuce, cilantro,watermelon, orange slices, corn... he's such a happy piggy again. We've even been able to cut back the critcal care feedings from 4 to 3 times a day :)

Very much looking for a Christmas miracle here. I've gotten a couple of those with my pigs over the last few years, between Sly and Scooter. Today is Leo's 1st anniversary with us in his new home, so that was also another Christmas gift of sorts. Very happy to hear of little FT's continued improvement!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
So glad to see these posts that Friar Tuck is improving, eating, and putting some weight on!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
As of today, Friar Tuck has gained over 90g! And he's been out eating almost constantly today! Here's how much of a happier, healthier piggy he already is ----
First pic is from November 25th: Screenshot_20201223-145716.jpg
Second pic is from today, 12-23! <3
17749.jpg

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
If the saying "a picture says a thousand words" is true, you can definitely see it in these pictures. His eyes were so sad on Nov 25th and today he has that sparkle back. I came onto this forum everyday to get an update on the little man and I am beyond thrilled to see how much he has improved.

Was your veterinarian ever able to determine what exactly caused him to become so ill? I know without a doubt Friar getting better is the best Christmas present you could have ever received.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Oh how wonderful!

I check in regularly to see updates regarding Friar Tuck. I am beyond thrilled to see that he is making improvements.

Thank you for the pictures as well... he's such a cutie!

You have done such a good job throughout his illness. Make sure you take some time to take care of yourself as well!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Boy, can you ever see the difference. He looks like a very happy boy. So happy to hear of his improvements. Hoping this will be a Merry Christmas for a Merry pig!

Seems as though your Christmas miracle came a little early.

Just as an aside, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the youtube channel skinnypigs1. She went through something very similar with one of her pigs recently. She did everything you did, and they found nothing wrong with her pigs teeth or anything like that. What they DID find, under anesthesia and very close examination, was some sort of foreign material along the gumline, which was irritating it and making it very painful for her to eat. Once that foreign material was cleared and with a few days of supplementation and recovery time, her pig now seems to be fine.

I guess my takeaway from this is that it doesn't necessarily have to the teeth or illness that have to be the problem. It can be something small and minor but causing enough pain that if left alone, can be a bigger problem down the road. Knowing this, we as piggy parents can be ever vigilant and insistent on having a closer look if we feel it's warranted. It also illustrates the need for a cavy savvy vet and if your vet doesn't cut the mustard, find one who does.

I just wanna put a little Santa hat on Friar Tuck!

For anyone who might be interested, this is the link to the video and the pig in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJFTdfWxY6s&ab_channel=skinnypigs1

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
If the saying "a picture says a thousand words" is true, you can definitely see it in these pictures. His eyes were so sad on Nov 25th and today he has that sparkle back. I came onto this forum everyday to get an update on the little man and I am beyond thrilled to see how much he has improved.

Was your veterinarian ever able to determine what exactly caused him to become so ill? I know without a doubt Friar getting better is the best Christmas present you could have ever received.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Thank you so much [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION], you couldn't have said it more perfectly.... Friar Tuck has his merry sparkle back! It's the most wonderful (and early!) Christmas present I could have asked for <3

We've seen three different exotic vets since this started, and none could determine an exact cause. They all thought something was causing discomfort/pain with eating, but no x rays or exams ever revealed anything. But after antibiotics, GI medicine, appetite stimulant and motility medicine... he's well!!

I don't know what I'd do without this forum, and all your encouragement and kind words is so appreciated... happy, happy holidays to you and yours as well!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Oh how wonderful!

I check in regularly to see updates regarding Friar Tuck. I am beyond thrilled to see that he is making improvements.

Thank you for the pictures as well... he's such a cutie!

You have done such a good job throughout his illness. Make sure you take some time to take care of yourself as well!

Thank you, [MENTION=42345]Smileandnod[/MENTION]!! Friar Tuck has such a wonderful team rooting for him, and wonderful encouragement for us both! It means a lot :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Boy, can you ever see the difference. He looks like a very happy boy. So happy to hear of his improvements. Hoping this will be a Merry Christmas for a Merry pig!

Seems as though your Christmas miracle came a little early.

Just as an aside, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the youtube channel skinnypigs1. She went through something very similar with one of her pigs recently. She did everything you did, and they found nothing wrong with her pigs teeth or anything like that. What they DID find, under anesthesia and very close examination, was some sort of foreign material along the gumline, which was irritating it and making it very painful for her to eat. Once that foreign material was cleared and with a few days of supplementation and recovery time, her pig now seems to be fine.

I guess my takeaway from this is that it doesn't necessarily have to the teeth or illness that have to be the problem. It can be something small and minor but causing enough pain that if left alone, can be a bigger problem down the road. Knowing this, we as piggy parents can be ever vigilant and insistent on having a closer look if we feel it's warranted. It also illustrates the need for a cavy savvy vet and if your vet doesn't cut the mustard, find one who does.

I just wanna put a little Santa hat on Friar Tuck!

For anyone who might be interested, this is the link to the video and the pig in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJFTdfWxY6s&ab_channel=skinnypigs1

He is so happy, a merry pig and Christmas miracle!

Thank you so much for all the information and advice, I've heard of skinnypigs1 but not this story. I completely agree, something small causing discomfort or pain seems to be culprit. The vets thought that a definite possibility. It would make so much sense: He got better after the antibiotics, but then went back downhill due to the ongoing GI issues caused by not eating. Once we got the motility, appetite stimulant, and GI meds, and finished the rounds of those, the light at the end of the tunnel finally appeared... And it's only getting brighter! :D

While perhaps not one of the vets alone would have been enough, their joint knowledge combined seemed to make all the difference...they all had different experiences, equipment and their own angles, agreeing with each other but finding new avenues to take as well. We always asked questions, and finally we have answers of a sort.

And as for a little santa hat... How funny you should say it! Because I already doodled just that on another photo :) here it is:
Screenshot_20201222-192618.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
What a healthy little guy he is! So happy to see that, what a great Christmas gift!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Friar Tuck still has a voracious appetite, has gained a little over 100g, and has been active all day. But now I'm very worried he has mild bumble foot:
IMG_20201227_175318334_HDR.jpgIMG_20201227_175309239_HDR.jpg

He's not favoring his feet or walking around any less, and he doesn't act like they really hurt when I touch them. They're not swollen but look sore. His back feet are all white fur and a slightly reddish pink normally, but never the sore look they have now. I took the photos in incandescent, not natural light, so that's effecting the color slightly. I put neosporin on them three times today, rubbing it in well.

I don't understand!!! I noticed his one back foot was looking a little red yesterday, but not like today. His bedding is two inches of Carefresh we change everyday, and we've been keeping it especially clean since he got sick. Sometimes it's pretty wet in his one or two pee spots he always goes after overnight, but we clean it first thing in the morning.

I've read 1/8 tsp of Epsom salts to half cup of water is good for soaking their feet in, as well as applying coconut oil to help heal them. Is this best thing to do, besides keeping his cage extra extra clean?

I have plain Epsom salt, it's something we always have in the house, and I could probably get coconut oil tomorrow. I dread the possibility of antibiotics again, the baytril really bothered his GI system...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The Epsom salts and coconut oil should help, but a couple of words of warning. Be very careful not to let the pig ingest any of the Epsom salts, and rinse and dry the feet well after they soak. BTW, upside down bottle caps make good foot baths.

And use the cold pressed virgin coconut oil -- heating it destroys some of the bactericidal and fungicidal properties.

He shouldn't need Baytril unless there's active infection.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The Epsom salts and coconut oil should help, but a couple of words of warning. Be very careful not to let the pig ingest any of the Epsom salts, and rinse and dry the feet well after they soak. BTW, upside down bottle caps make good foot baths.

And use the cold pressed virgin coconut oil -- heating it destroys some of the bactericidal and fungicidal properties.

He shouldn't need Baytril unless there's active infection.

Thank you! I'll be careful. Is that the best thing to do? Foot baths/coconut oil/neosporin? What do you think about how his feet look?

Poor piggy didn't deserve this, I feel so bad. I still don't get how it happened.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You might want to consider fleece. We've had a few pigs before that couldn't get their feet cleared up until they switched to fleece.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I got the virgin cold pressed coconut oil today. I've done a lot of research and silver sulfadiazine is often used to treat bumble foot? Vets usually prescribe it for bumble foot, so we called to talk to ours but they haven't got back yet... I do have this, but it isn't silver sulfadiazine, is it?
IMG_20201229_161111868_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201229_161059402_HDR.jpg

Also, could pure natural lanolin cream for nursing, human mothers help? It's paraben/preservative free and safe for human babies...IMG_20201229_161817411_HDR.jpg

I would rub in any of it very, very well like the neosporin.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
We've been doing the Epsom salt soaks, and it definitely isn't worse, but not much better. I'm thinking it might be urine scald more than bumblefoot?

He's still eating normally and doing really good every other way! His weight is all the way up to 979g.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.