Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Guinea Pig Breeder

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Please go flag this breeder : (broken link removed) he obviously knows nothing about GPigs, they are living outdoors, two weeks old, and he thinks there are ready to go.. How sad.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Flagged it

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Flagged as well!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Why do you think he's a breeder? Breeders usually have multiple pigs, multiple ads, and tend to know when pigs would be ready to go, not "think" so. Flagging an ad that isn't a breeder might prevent pigs from getting decent or good homes.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I am not 100% sure he is a breeder as well- but he does need to wait a bit longer before selling them.

chip123

Cavy Slave
I agree
Why do you think he's a breeder? Breeders usually have multiple pigs, multiple ads, and tend to know when pigs would be ready to go, not "think" so. Flagging an ad that isn't a breeder might prevent pigs from getting decent or good homes.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I am not 100% sure he is a breeder as well- but he does need to wait a bit longer before selling them.
No, not necessarily. Three weeks is ideal but they can be separated at two in some circumstances. I took a male from a friend at 15 days because he was large enough and she was worried he'd breed his sister or mother. He's totally fine, years later. We are not the Craigslist Guinea Pig Police, much as we may like to pretend we are.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave

Why do you hate me so much? Not sure why you always get on my case about everything I post on the forum. It's people like you that make me wanna quit posting on the forums just so I don't get attacked about everything I say.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Why do you hate me so much? Not sure why you always get on my case about everything I post on the forum. It's people like you that make me wanna quit posting on the forums just so I don't get attacked about everything I say.

What on earth makes you think she hates you? You didn't get attacked, it was a valid point she put across.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
flagged... that is so sad : (

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
how much does flagging help? just curious...

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
This isn't the only forum.
Not sure what you're talking about, I've commented on all of ONE other thread you started, when you were asking whether or not your proposed cage setup would be acceptable for a flemish giant; in this case I was actually wondering if this person had other posts on Craigslist that you'd seen, which made you think he was a breeder, because breeders usually have more than two pigs and usually seem at least moderately more knowledgeable about pigs than this person does. In case you aren't aware, this is a forum and folks are free to comment when you start a thread about breeders or rabbits or anything else; the implication when you make comments like, 'why do you hate me' is that you feel you are waaaay more important than is realistically warranted - I don't care, personally, one way or another about you and since the only comment I've made to you one way or another wasn't on another forum, but rather another thread you started here, I think you're referring to that. In any case, I really am curious to know why you think this person is a breeder; as it is, I don't see anything that suggests s/he is, but instead just a misguided owner with pigs that would likely be better off in other homes, which is why flagging the ad might not be the best resolution in this instance.

Flagging creates a kind of burden for actual breeders who are using CL as a free advertisement. Breeding/selling is against CL rules and so this section of the forum was setup to help prevent them from using it that way as folks who are members here peruse and see ads; but when we're flagging ads that aren't breeders, just stupid owners, that's more of a disservice to the animal and isn't actually discouraging a breeder at all.

Artista

Cavy Slave

I would think unless something is blatantly wrong that the layperson sitting at Craigslist can see, I don't think it does. Now if there is wording in the ad that's easier to judge.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I would think unless something is blatantly wrong that the layperson sitting at Craigslist can see, I don't think it does. Now if there is wording in the ad that's easier to judge.
I agree and I'm not sure it does much good at all, in all actuality. True breeders just repost and aren't really deterred by being flagged; if they are, they just find another site to sell their animals like Ebay Classifieds or Hoobly. Short of making those doing the flagging feel good about it, I don't see that it serves a real purpose at all. In a lot of cases it seems people are more or less flagging ads they don't like, which like I said, can be a disservice to the pets being rehomed and little more than an annoyance to the folks being flagged.

I know there's no shortage of "flagging wars" that go on on CL just about everywhere, but it doesn't seem to serve any actual benefit, to me, other than to provide one group a sense of superiority for being the flaggers/CL "police" ... And to me, that doesn't seem to be overly valuable. JMO.

You could say that breeders are being discouraged or possibly prevented from free advertisement, but like I said, there's no shortage of other places out there that don't have written rules against it, so it isn't really a jump to assume they'd either just keep posting or move on to an easier place to post. I certainly know it's irritating to see ads by the same person over and over again, but having their ads removed isn't going to be a big hassle or burden in the scheme of things.

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
ok, what do you flag them on?

Artista

Cavy Slave
ok, what do you flag them on?

Unless there is wording that indicates clear abuse or poor intentions I wouldn't flag. Like I said, Craiglist probably receives a ton of flags and who knows if they look at all of them, but most importantly it should be an ad which is clear to them of wrong doing. To us who know much about gp care and conditions, we can call things out. The Craigslist person is not so if you are flagging an ad, pretend you know nothing about care and see if you can spot something that is clear. Again, most likely the picture of wrong doing won't be obvious so watch for the obvious wording of wrong doing to a lay person.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.