Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick There is a *tumor* on my guinea pig's best friend, bunny.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, It's been a while since my last post. I still have my guinea pig, Piggie.

Piggie was very lonely and depressed and needed a friend. I then got him his best friend, bunny.

This post is NOT about a guinea pig, but rather a rabbit. I know this site is completely dedicated to guinea pigs. But, if anybody could help, or refer me somewhere, that would be great. My bunny is 1 year old, half dwarf rabbit.

First off, I live on an island. The vet is not near me. The vets close to me do not deal with small animals. She has a growth, slightly bigger than a walnut. It encompasses the side of her face and her throat. It does not appear to be an abscess, as she is not abnormally warm, and the lump is not soft in any spot. It is completely solid, and when I touch it, it does not bother her. This lump literally appeared within one week. I am giving her food by syringe, and making sure she drinks plenty of water. She is not breathing abnormally. She is using the bathroom regularly as well. I have felt the lump, you can feel it on the inside of her mouth. Her teeth or a good, short length, nothing is red in her mouth, and her mouth has virtually no odor coming from it. Does this sound like a tumor? If it does, what can I do to keep her comfortable? What should I be feeding her?

***A note, I do not neglect my animals, and I love my bunny very much. I am planning to get to the vet as soon as I am able, but of course I can't do anything tonight***

lissie

Cavy Slave
Piggie was very lonely and depressed and needed a friend. I then got him his best friend, bunny.

I'm sorry your bunny is sick. I don't have any advice about this.

I hope you are not housing your guinea pig with your bunny. Even if they get along, bunny can accidentally kill your guinea pig. Please see this link why you should not keep bunny and guinea pig together.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
since my bunny is half dwarf, she is small. they are about the same size, (also, piggie has had her in the cage since she was only a few weeks old.) and bunny believes the guinea pig is her dad. Thank you for your concern though :) but i promise they get along perfect, no fights, no nothing. she is a doll, but piggie has been very concerned because she is sick. piggie has been doting on her and cuddling to her. they truly are best friends :)

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know of a good rabbit forum?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
since my bunny is half dwarf, she is small. they are about the same size, (also, piggie has had her in the cage since she was only a few weeks old.) and bunny believes the guinea pig is her dad. Thank you for your concern though :) but i promise they get along perfect, no fights, no nothing. she is a doll, but piggie has been very concerned because she is sick. piggie has been doting on her and cuddling to her. they truly are best friends :)

I've had dwarf rabbits, and they still could kill a guinea pig. Rabbits have extremely strong back legs and even accidentally could kill. When I worked at a shelter they told me rabbits can even accidentally kill themselves if they are picked up and kick their feet too hard. I'd never heard that, but the shelter was reputable. It's not always about the size, but strength and accidents can happen even without fights.

No one is going to be able to help you diagnose online, the only thing you can do if take your rabbit to a vet for proper diagnosis. Lumps can be many different things, and even sometimes a lump will look like one thing and be something else.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
I understand. But also, this has nothing to do with my rabbits health situation. **Could anyone please let me know about a good rabbit forum?** And, she has her vet appointment made. I am taking her in, and will post updates on status.

(I understand that rabbits have the ability to hurt guinea pigs, and believe me, i have had 7 guinea pigs. my male guinea pigs were very aggressive. I am very concerned about their safety, and I also know that my piggie and bunny have been fully compatible, and bunny is extremely gentle, there is a good space for them, and they have been together for a full year. literally all they do is snuggle all day long. they are in my room, there are NO signs of aggression, and bunny knows she can hurt piggie, and is thus extra cautious. These animals are very intelligent.)

Please, NO more comments about that. I am concerned about the rabbits health, please only comments about how I can make her comfortable before her vet visit, or a forum I could visit.

and, thank you for your great concern about them being okay with each other, because I definitely want both of them safe. But this is a very special situation, my guinea pig was dying before this bunny was put in the cage. He is old, and needed someone to have as a companion. He loves the bunny dearly. Look of the "unlikely friendships" series. This is a unique bond where bunny knows that the guinea pig is not as strong as she is. And also, right now piggie knows bunny is very sick and was trying to take care of her.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
If he was depressed and lonely you should've gotten him a guinea pig. I understand you don't want to hear it, but we are just concerned for the safety of your animals. Is that so wrong? You do realize unlikely friendships are just a snapshot in time and that frequently bad things do end up happening. I had a wild toad that followed me around doing chores and feeding horses and he followed me around for years. We had a barn cat too, who would follow him around and the toad wasn't afraid of him and the barn cat just seemed curious about the toad. Had it been during a time where cell phones had cameras I would've called them unlikely animal friends and posted it on YouTube. After years of getting along fine, one day I found the cat eating the toad. Animals are unpredictable, and accidents happen all the time. This is the last comment I'll make on this because I think you won't listen to anyone on this and you are anthropomorphising your animals which tells me a lot about your perceptions of animal behavior, but I really do hope you have no accidents and both your animals live long healthy lives.

There is really nothing you can do directly for the lump except take her to the vet, which it sounds like you are doing. They can give you a diagnoses and tell you what treatment options are available. I'd keep an eye on her weight until you can get her to the vet to make sure she's not dropping weight, but unless she is or you see her struggling to eat or drink there isn't much more you can do.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
Oh clemmie believe me I tried with 3 other guinea pigs. None of them worked :( I tried for months.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
XD very funny lunarminx. Yes I have tried that. alot of forums have trolls on there, who honestly know nothing. When my gecko was having issues, nobody cared enough to give me suggestions, and none of the vets would take him in. I love this forum because the people GENUINELY care about the animals :)

I just wanted to know if anyone *knew* a good, reputable, forum for rabbits. I'm really done with trolls.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
Well, I took her to the vet. Bunny died yesterday at 2:45pm

I had to have her put to sleep. it was a malignant tumor, and they informed me that even if they did surgery, they were almost positive it wouldn't work. She was suffering, and it was the best thing. She was put to sleep in my arms, and I was the last thing she saw.

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much... I was glad that she was in my arms, and she no longer has to suffer. She has a wonderful life as long as I had her.... :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.