Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Does a single boar need a friend?

7 Awesome Pigs

Cavy Slave
We currently have 3 males and 3 females housed together by sex. They all get along fine and have since the beginning. We recently adopted a 2 year old Himalayan boar who has always been housed alone. I have tried to introduce him to my other boars and while they are fine with him, he gets very aggressive almost immediately even in a neutral space (teeth chattering, yawning, lunging). He has never drawn blood (I break up the fight with a towel before it gets too dangerous). It is almost like he doesn't realize he is a guinea and gets very upset when they come near him. Should I try the bath method with one of my males so I can have 2 in each cage? I would get him a baby boar as a friend, but if he won't accept him then I have another lone boar, which I don't want!! Are there boars who just can't get along with others? It seems to stress him out more than anything....
Thanks!
toby.jpg

Jmoore77

Cavy Slave
I have two females so I have no advice. I just wanted to say how beautiful he is!:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd definitely try a buddy bath before I gave up on him. But it's hard to add a boar to an established group, and you may wind up with their relationships completely realigned, or even with four solo pigs. You could try him with your mellowest boar, in a huge cage, and after a buddy bath. Maybe that will work, maybe not.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
He probably would do well with your females, if he were neutered :) It won't change his 'aggression' though, which really just seems like extreme dominance I think. Fixing won't change any behavior/sexual urges, it will just make it so he can't make babies.

7 Awesome Pigs

Cavy Slave
He probably would do well with your females, if he were neutered :) It won't change his 'aggression' though, which really just seems like extreme dominance I think. Fixing won't change any behavior/sexual urges, it will just make it so he can't make babies.

I have one very dominant female and she won't accept anyone new with her (I have tried another single female). My girls have been together since they were little babies. I think even though they are male and female, 2 very dominant piggies would be an issue. DO you think he might accept a baby boar better?

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
I have one very dominant female and she won't accept anyone new with her (I have tried another single female). My girls have been together since they were little babies. I think even though they are male and female, 2 very dominant piggies would be an issue. DO you think he might accept a baby boar better?

When that younger boar goes into puberty you'll have an even bigger problem.

Banshee

Cavy Slave
I think I would just house him by the others so he can chatter and talk to them, but he has his own space to himself.

dearbarbie

Cavy Slave
Heyyy my two boars don't get along but live side by side. They can see each other and touch noses... One is a year older than the other and his cagemate died a few months ago, this remaining boy had always been the dominant one. We rescued a baby boar who also had a deceased cagemate and after quarantine we introduced them over a week... Then housed them together... After the week we noticed a few scratches on each but assumed they'd work it out then when out in the garden run we witnessed a full-on fight with blood and I have no idea how the baby didn't lose his vision. We separated them there and then as both wanted to be top pig. Tried to do a supervised reintroduction but again there was way too much rumbling and we kept them apart ever since. Our older pig sometimes rumbles just from smelling the other on me but it's how they are. Sometimes it might take a while working it out but once blood is drawn there seems to be no going back sadly, believe me, I've hoped it wasn't the case! The baby now ignores the bigger rumblebrother who seems to reassert his authority at every given opportunity!! X

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
This is a tough situation. Is a shelter close by? If so, you could try boar dating and see if it goes well with an easygoing boar. If he just has extreme dominance issues, I don't think a baby pig would be a very good option.
I've only owned three guinea pigs in my life, so my opinion isn't expert. :)
If nothing works out, I would just keep him by himself, next to the other boars. If one of your females always wants to be top pig, I'm not sure putting him in with the females would be a very good idea. In a piggy pair, there's usually one dominant pig and one submissive pig. And sometimes there's two pigs that don't give a thought about dominance at all. Two dominant pigs doesn't usually work out.

Lastly, I just want to say that I LOVE him.:) He is so cute! I've always wanted a Himalayan piggy...

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What a gorgeous little dude! Good luck with him - hope you figure something out!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I would just keep him by his self or adopt a fixed laid back old man.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.