Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Dog Jumped on cage - destroyed - now what?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
So last night my 75 pound border collie / pitbull / lab / jack Russell jumped onto my guinea pigs cage when Matchi wheeked and she got scared, so she jumped.

The cage is now completely destroyed and unsalvagable. I could barely scratch up a 2x3.

They have a huge play pen (it's just under 3x4 in grids), can I put them in that? I really don't have another cage, at all and this one is bye-bye...

I leave on December 1st so it would only be a temporary option until I go back to my dad's and they get a 2x5.5-ish. Will their play pen be okay?

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
Since you're in a bind and it'll be a temporary fix, I don't see what's wrong with it. So sorry to hear the cage was destroyed. Did it have a cover, or was it one of the coverless C&Cs?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
She's never done something like this, she's actually very gentle with them (she's a service dog in training and when I have full body twitches she is trained to nudge them away from me if I have them out) but she was asleep and Matchi wheeks loud! (we've had neighbors complain, that pig has LUNGS lol).

It's uncovered since it's on a stand and that detoured our Kitten completely but it has a fold down door which has was down (how she got in) as I was still playing with them and making Bayleigh do her night time tricks for her toy. I just forgot to close it when I was getting up but since she was asleep I figured eh, I'll close it when she wakes up since she worked hard today.

I just didn't expect Matchi to wheek since she knows once I say "Nighty babes" she's supposed to stay quite.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Are the grids bent? Can you post a photo of what it looks like now?

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
I would think the play pen would be fine as long as its in a room where the cat or dog cant get near it. most of those play pens are not as strong all it would take is the dog running into it (border collie/ jack russell, had both and boy are they energetic by nature our collie was running around the house playing and skidded into a antique china cabinet and shattered the 100+ year old glass with his butt) or the cat trying to climb it. but as long as the pen is in a place the other pets cant go it should work perfectly :)

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
If you have any grids that are just bent (not broken), you could try flattening them back out. I use a bent grid for my hay rack and I've bent it several times and it is still intact. Hopefully you could salvage a few more.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
If you have any grids that are just bent (not broken), you could try flattening them back out. I use a bent grid for my hay rack and I've bent it several times and it is still intact. Hopefully you could salvage a few more.

I also had made a hay rack with bent grids and just unbent them last night, they wont look perfect but they might help im using a warped one to support the lid

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Are the grids bent? Can you post a photo of what it looks like now?
Some snapped in half, others are bent really bad. I'll try to get a photo. When I say she jumped I mean she JUMPED

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I would think the play pen would be fine as long as its in a room where the cat or dog cant get near it. most of those play pens are not as strong all it would take is the dog running into it (border collie/ jack russell, had both and boy are they energetic by nature our collie was running around the house playing and skidded into a antique china cabinet and shattered the 100+ year old glass with his butt) or the cat trying to climb it. but as long as the pen is in a place the other pets cant go it should work perfectly :)
My dog has to sleep in my room with me at all times. She's never done this before, she wouldn't ever hurt the pigs. She jumps onto whatever is nearest when she gets startled, and she happened to jump into the cage at the time. She can't not sleep with me, for personal reasons and I need her to sleep so she stays safe.

And my cat is never in my room unless I am or he's having some bad separation anxiety and then he knows he's allowed under the covers or in the window only. He's allowed to associate with the pigs but most always stay away from the grids and can only watch, or he can come and lay with us while watching TV but other than that he's off in his own little world 24/7 lol.

The play pen is a Midwest and it's pretty sturdy. I have mobility problems and have fallen on it quite a few times, worse damage done was it bent in a little - like of you were to fold it - bit that's it.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I'll try. So far I've only slaved enough for a 2x3, not even enough for a stand. Gonna use what I have of the 2x3 to make the playpen bigger though

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Well, thanks to my moms idiot bf I now have to throw all my fleece away (almost $200 including uhaul AND their birthday / gotcha day cuddle cups, beds, cuddle sacks, etc which me & my mom were really upset about since they love them), he put them on aspen shavings (it was this or put them down which wouldn't have happen because no GOOD vet would just put them down for no reason + no way in heck I'd let that happen) and he actually had that audacity to tell me I had no say in the matter when, who pays for them? Me and my mom, I pay her back if I need her to buy them food or hay and she buys them toys every other week. Where do they stay? My room. He even said they have to live in their now let store cage for he rest of their life (we all know that is not happening). Luckily I'm moving back to CA next week where they have a 2x5.5 and when we come back they will have a C&C cage again because we are all moving out.

Honestly, today has been a bad day (we had a fire and had to evacuate everyone and we couldn't find our cat. A fire fighter found him in the tree under our balcony though), and when we got back in I had to go buy a pet store cage (70+$ down the drain, I had to dig into my savings). And I HATE them on Aspen because I'm allergic.

I do not like this day at all, but at least I leave after Thanksgiving[emoji28] For now my mom is texting me when her ex bf is up and when he's not so I know when to let them run around and when to put them in.

So far our scheldue is
• Midnight to 6 am
• 10am to 3pm

We are also gonna try and hide all their toys and fleece (he wants everything related to them gone) so we don't have to re buy it all when we move. We got the biggest cage we could find.

I feel like such a crap owner right now. If I hadn't had the door down, Zoe wouldn't have been able to jump in when she got scared and would have jumped on the bed instead and I still would have had a C&C cage[emoji20]

You guys probably all hate me for putting them in a pet store cage anyway...

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
Don't feel bad that all you can do for them is to put them in a store cage. It's all you can do to keep them, and nobody should ever make you feel bad for doing what you have to. I just wanted to tell you that no matter what they say on this post, that you should NOT feel bad for it.
And if they do hate you for putting them in a store cage then ignore them. As long as you are in the forseeable future planning on giving them a better cage then as long as they are getting along and perfectly fine then you shouldn't feel bad. Okay?
Just keep doing what you have to do. <3 Take care, okay?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Don't feel bad that all you can do for them is to put them in a store cage. It's all you can do to keep them, and nobody should ever make you feel bad for doing what you have to. I just wanted to tell you that no matter what they say on this post, that you should NOT feel bad for it.
And if they do hate you for putting them in a store cage then ignore them. As long as you are in the forseeable future planning on giving them a better cage then as long as they are getting along and perfectly fine then you shouldn't feel bad. Okay?
Just keep doing what you have to do. <3 Take care, okay?
Thank you! My mom is moving out as soon as she finds a place that allows more then just a dog (no one cares about Guinea Pigs in the apartment lol) and then they get two Midwest since we are the actually meaning of sucking at Coroplast.

They are getting lots of run time though, I just hate that because I'm a minor and disabled I have no say (yes he actually pulled that card).

Unfortunately, our PetSmart is now closed and since its been used I doubt we can return it. It will make a nice travel cage though. Useful if one gets sick or injured. I just feel so bad cause I promised them they'd never have to live in a pet store cage, and now I broke a promise[emoji20]

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear about your rough time. Keep doing the best you can! Keeping them in a pet store cage for a short time is not so bad. I had a thought on your fleece: Instead of throwing it out or hiding it, could you have someone else keep it at their house for you? Or - you said you are moving back to CA. If you already know where you are moving to (not sure if you meant your dad's house or something), maybe you could mail all your fleece to him to hold on to for you? I hope things work out ok.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear about your rough time. Keep doing the best you can! Keeping them in a pet store cage for a short time is not so bad. I had a thought on your fleece: Instead of throwing it out or hiding it, could you have someone else keep it at their house for you? Or - you said you are moving back to CA. If you already know where you are moving to (not sure if you meant your dad's house or something), maybe you could mail all your fleece to him to hold on to for you? I hope things work out ok.
My dad has fleece at his house, so I'll ask if we can mail it tomorrow. And it would mean extra cage sets, I didn't think about that! Its mainly the U-haul that smells but he thinks its the fleece (even though my mom smelled it and we washed it 3 times).

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm back at my dads house, with about 10 loads of fleece lol, and when I got back to my moms we are getting a couple Midwest since we um, suck at cutting Coroplast

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.